It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

concerned about chest pain after 22 years of eating disorder...

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #1
hermione3
(female)

hermione3 HB User
concerned about chest pain after 22 years of eating disorder...

I have had an eating disorder 22 years and have been doing mostly ok but lately have had chest pains but went to the er and they diagnosed it as chest wall pain but it has been 2 weeks now and still have issues with it i don't think it is anxiety either but my ekg was fine but i have read those might not tell the whole story so i don't know if i should maybe get it checked out like by a cardiologist or something....i don't know just wondering if anyone else has had this problem its like such a pressure on my chest and i get shortness of breath and idk its just a little scary...but i am sure i am overreacting

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
1822jb
(female)

1822jb HB User
Re: concerned about chest pain after 22 years of eating disorder...

I've had an eating disorder for 20 years and the exact same thing happens to me!
I also had EKGs and even went to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack. All came back negative. I wish I knew the answer. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone! Are you trying to recover from your ED? I've tried so many times and now after 20 years of this I feel like it will be with me my whole life.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
hermione3
(female)

hermione3 HB User

I have tried recovering been in and out of inpatient programs, day programs etc. but still trying its hard and right now a big life event occured just not sure how i am going to deal except go day by day...

Old 12-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
K8D
(female)

K8D HB User

Hi ��
I can relate to how you are feeling. I'm in recovery atm and am seeing the effects my ED has had on my body. Chest pain is one of the many many problems that developed for me. Though ive come up with an abnormal heart rhythm, it doesn't explain the chest pain fully. So hears what ive learnt...
We've put our body's thru literally years and years of abuse. By not eating properly we've made our hearts work extra to keep us going and able to function. A Dr explained to me that its like constantly working a double shift, eventually you become so tired that its hard to function.
Take these chest pains as a sign from your body, its telling you it can't do this anymore.
For me my sign was I began having seizures. Then the chest pain started. It scared the **** out of me, it was literally my body shutting down. So ive worked my *** of to put on weight to help my body survive. Now I'm dealing with a messed up gall bladder (thanks again Ana) and still have to take anti seizure meds. Thankfully a bit if weight gain and healthier eating has helped the chest pain.
We can't undo the damage we've done to our heart muscle, no scan or test while we are alive can show a Dr what our ED's have done to our bodies but it doesn't take a Dr to know we've caused these problems.
I'm sorry if ive upset you but its how it is. Please try to go into recovery. You can do it. Your body needs you to. Contact me if you ever need support or if I can help you.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:22 AM   #5
K8D
(female)

K8D HB User

Also... I read that you're having chest and back pain. Get your gall bladder checked out. ED's can contribute to causing gall stones, I'm going thru it atm. Gall stone pain can feel like chest pain, heart burn, and can feel a lot like a heart attack. I get pain a lot on my left side, the center of my back and even right into my shoulders.
You'll need an ultrasound to check for stones/sludge. Get it checked out

Old 12-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
hermione3
(female)

hermione3 HB User

thank you i know i can't know all the damage i have done to my body my therapist even told me that...i have been doing this more time than not that my body is weaker from it like i have been sick for over a month and she said its because i am not eating properly so i can't heal...i have been losing weight again i was in a maintaining phase and my nutritionist is concerned and well i fear it will lead to inpatient again if i don't get myself together it is also hard because i was just faced with a big family crisis like its huge and life changing and just a lot to deal with and everyone in my treatment team is like try to stay out of the hospital and i dont' want to go and put more on them they have put up with sick me for a long time and i would feel bad with all the other stuff they are going through and well me. things just will never be the same and my eating disorder was kind of already sneaking in before this event so well its so hard to be strong but i am trying...

Old 12-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
K8D
(female)

K8D HB User

I'm sorry to hear you and your family are going through a tough time. I sincerely hope you all pull though ok and that you realize you have the strength to do this.
You've been battling these demons so long and you have survived. You must be made of something very strong. You've just gotta learn how to fight the voices in your head hun. You're already thinking the right thoughts. You know you want to beat this. Day by day is how you start. For me its still day by day and that's ok because I am winning and you will too. I believe in you

Old 12-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
hermione3
(female)

hermione3 HB User

thanks i am doing my best taking things day by day really its just hard i am tired and i need to fight i am just exhausted i just physically am weak right now and can't just fight off the physical sick i have right now which makes emotional stuff even harder...and thank you i have to work hard its just so much i am not following my meal plan and i know it and i won't even keep food records...idk its just too much and I know i am not eating enough but i am eating...

Old 12-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #9
K8D
(female)

K8D HB User

Atm it sounds like a bit of a hectic time for you but believe you are doing the right thing.
You don't want to put too much stress on yourself, all that will do is encourage you to fall back into old habits. If you've got heaps happening following your diary and your food plan is only gonna make you obsess over food. Keep doing what you are doing hun, you're aware of what you're doing. If you feel the awareness slipping then do a diary entry. Its dangerous when we aren't aware.
Remember always though, you are strong enough and you can do this

Old 12-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
hermione3
(female)

hermione3 HB User

it is dangerous i feel there is no point in keeping records my nutritionist will know really and it just is going to be what it is right now i know if i keep dropping weight i will get myself into trouble i don't even know my weight right now i just know it is down..and has been dropping...i am beyond exhausted like physically sick and just can't get better and that is getting me down and i just thought this 4 days off from work would get me better of a months worth of sick but i guess not and i didn't even do all that much i have worked through a lot i just don't know...

Old 12-27-2016, 12:04 AM   #11
trugym
(male)

Location: Maidstone | Peterborough | Plymouth, United Kingdom
trugym HB User

Sorry to know about your problem. I think you should join a gym center and eat your meal with a proper diet, drinks water regularly. Hope you will get well soon.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:16 AM   #12
K8D
(female)

K8D HB User

Alrighty.. I'm gonna sound harsh and I am truly very sorry if I upset you but it feels like you are going through this on your own and if your family and friends are like mine then they tippy toe around this topic with you...
You are making yourself physically sick not in an ED kinda way but in a your body is shutting down kinda way. If you feel you are a danger to yourself because you are not in control of your recovery, then you need to get extra help. Maybe you do need a short stay as an inpatient to get you back on track. If you don't take care of yourself hun your family are gonna have another tragic family emergency on their hands. Its ok to need help. Please dont stay in danger.

Last edited by K8D; 12-27-2016 at 12:17 AM.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
hermione3
(female)

hermione3 HB User

I know..i am doing the best i can its just not perfect like my therapist told me today my mom was worried about all the money spent on treatment and then all this happens and it just makes me go backwards in a way i guess i am trying but i am just exhausted...

Reply Reply