It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Anti-depressants and weight gain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2004, 07:53 AM   #1
    Roxie Hart
    Veteran

Roxie Hart HB User
    Anti-depressants and weight gain?

Hi everyone
    I was just wondering how often there is a link between anti-ds and weight gain. I picked up my anti-depressants today and saw that one of the side effects was 'Altered body weight and/or change in appetite'. I just feel that right now, putting on weight is the worst possible thing that could happen, as it might make my bulimia worse, which I don't want to happen. Is this one of those side effects medicnes always mention that never actually happen, or is it pretty common? I would have asked my doctor about it, but I was being rushed out the door at the time!
    Thanks a lot
    Roxie xXx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 08:08 AM   #2
    Aurora
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aurora HB User
    Re: Anti-depressants and weight gain?

Hi sweetie,
    I am sorry to say that antidepressants can cause weight gain in some cases. But not with everyone. However, if you are not willing to risk it you should maybe book another gp appt or see the practice nurse to discuss that specific medication.
    Take care though.
    Aurora xox

Old 01-19-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
    Roxie Hart
    Veteran

Roxie Hart HB User

Ooh, aren't we having fun replying to each other's threads this afternoon?! I don't really see the point of booking another GP appointment, as you may understand. And presumably if it does not affect everyone, neither the GP nor the nurse will be able to tell me if I will gain weight or not. Oh well, I suppose I will just have to try them, and stop them if I do start to gain weight.
    Thanks for your reply
    Roxie xXx

Old 01-19-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
    Dance4jc
    Veteran

Dance4jc HB User

Roxie,
    Glad to hear you are going to try the AD. They take a while to work, but can really help. Try not to worry about weight gain. Never happened to me or many of the friends I know. Sometimes the weight gain happens because a person who was depressed and not eating begins to feel a bit better and is able to eat. You are doing so well and I am proud of you. Take care.

Old 01-19-2004, 12:29 PM   #5
    hwbe
    Inactive

hwbe HB User

I'm kinda out of topic but I have another question about medicine and weight gain. I was prescribed hormone pills (oestrogens) to start my periods that are gone due to my bulimia or weight I've lost, I don't know. It also mentions altered weight among side effects. Does anyone know if that is common or also just a rare side effect? I think I've read somewhere that oestrogenes may cause weight gain and I'm really worried about that..
    Thanks for your replies!

Old 01-19-2004, 02:10 PM   #6
    Roxie Hart
    Veteran

Roxie Hart HB User

Thanks for your reply Dance4jc. The trouble is, it is easier said than done not to worry about weight gain! I just know that if I put on weight I will end up desperately trying to get rid of it, and that will make me ED worse, and I don't want that to happen. I will start them though, and just see what happens. Thanks again for all your help
    Roxie xXx

Old 01-19-2004, 05:09 PM   #7
    Dance4jc
    Veteran

Dance4jc HB User

yeah, didn't mean it to sound that way, I know it is not easy. Just try and take things one day at a time. You will have good days and bad days. Try to remember that when you are having a bad day, because with a tomorrow there is always hope. You hang in there and do all that you can to get better. You have great times ahead of you in life and you will get better and experience them. Take care.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:40 AM   #8
    Nikkita

Nikkita HB User
    Red face Re: Anti-depressants and weight gain?

Roxie
    Ive also been started on an AD today and the weight gain is a BIG fear of mine also.Ive been started on trazadone and one of the side effects could be WG but all the anti-depressants seem to have a certain amount of side effects and alot of people on them have no problems. My AD is a sedating one as i suffer from insomnia anyway but i realise i need to take something since the depressions getting worse.
    Lets both give them a go and see what happens. hopefully we'll be ok. im trying not to panic . ADs are supposed to improve appetite because they improve mood. i know that in my case i have a huge appetite anyway. I could spend the whole day B/P if i had the chance.
    see how it goes
    Nikkitaxxx

Old 01-21-2004, 09:22 AM   #9
    Roxie Hart
    Veteran

Roxie Hart HB User

Ok, we will both try them! The other thing about them that bothers me is I don't know if I want my emtions to be controlled by drugs. At least at the moment, when I feel awful it is ME feeling awful, I don't know how much I like the thought of having false emotions like that. I don't want to feel even less like me than I already do; I already feel like I have lost all my personality, I don't want to lose my emotions as well. I just feel like a big act at the moment, I pretend that I am just the same as always and happy etc, but I just feel like another person inside. I have started on the ADs, but as I said, I don't know how much I want to be on them. Hope everyone is ok

Roxie xXx

Old 01-22-2004, 01:07 AM   #10
    hellnheels69

hellnheels69 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Anti-depressants and weight gain?

The side effects 'altered weight' and 'change in appetite' doesn't necessarily mean weight gain. AD's work different for everyone. If you were prescribed them b/c of an ED, your psych probably took into consideration that a medication causing weight gain would slow your progress toward recovery, as you'd quit taking them if you started gaining weight. Most of the SSRI's that are prescribed to people with ED's don't have much of an impact on weight. They're designed to help stabilize your mood and the impulses that drives you to b/p. Take your meds!

Old 01-22-2004, 06:28 AM   #11
    Autumn888

Autumn888 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roxie Hart
    Ok, we will both try them! The other thing about them that bothers me is I don't know if I want my emtions to be controlled by drugs. At least at the moment, when I feel awful it is ME feeling awful, I don't know how much I like the thought of having false emotions like that. I don't want to feel even less like me than I already do; I already feel like I have lost all my personality, I don't want to lose my emotions as well. I just feel like a big act at the moment, I pretend that I am just the same as always and happy etc, but I just feel like another person inside. I have started on the ADs, but as I said, I don't know how much I want to be on them. Hope everyone is ok

Roxie xXx
    I can definitely understand why you'd feel that way. A few years ago I was seeing a psychiatrist who perscribed depakote (which I think he refered to it as a "mood stabilizer") and the same thoughts went through my head when I started taking it. I did though, and I definitely can't say I regret it. I didn't start feeling like I had lost my emotions at all. I started feeling like myself again... a girl who was actually able to take care of herself. I can't be sure if the medicine really helped, or if one day I just snapped out of it enough to be able to start making things better for myself instead of making it worse by starving myself to death, but it makes no difference to me now, anyway. Once I got my life back under control (a couple of years later) I stopped seeing my psychiatrist and weened myself off the medication. Perhaps that wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do, but I didn't want to be taking that stuff for any longer than I had to be. And you know what, I didn't feel any different at all, once I was off the medicine. I think the medicine really only helped give the initial push I needed.

That's not to claim I am or ever was completely recovered, but now I'm pretty sure I have the capacity to prevent my ED from becoming too serious a threat to my life (there was a time when I couldn't have done that at all).

BTW, regarding your initial question... before I started taking depakote I had other doctors try me out on different antidepressants that didn't work for me, but definitely didn't make me gain weight either. I tried prozak, amitriptyline (which really helped with my insomnia but didn't do anything to my mood) and paxil. I continued to lose weight the whole time. By the time I started on depakote I was too physically weak to get out of bed most days. So antidepressants certainly don't always cause weight gain. I started gaining weight after I started taking depakote (which isn't really an antidepressant) but I don't think I can blame that on the medicine... it was because I started eating a lot more. And then I started taking wellbutrin along with the depakote for awhile. The whole time just maintaining a fairly rapid weight gain until I reached a healthy weight, and then the weight gain stopped completely (though I continued on the medication for quite awhile afterward). So I really have my doubts that the medications triggered it, but who knows for sure?

Old 01-22-2004, 07:49 AM   #12
    Roxie Hart
    Veteran

Roxie Hart HB User

Thank you very much for your post Autumn, it did make me think. I just wish there was something I could get better without having to take medication. I am glad that you have your life back in control now. I started taking the ADs a couple of days ago, I still don't really know if I want to be on them, but until I find an alternative I guess I'll stick with them. I do realise that not everyone on EDs gains weight, but it was just something I am concerned about, and wanted to know how common it is. Thanks again

Roxie xXx

Old 01-22-2004, 11:38 AM   #13
    notorious b
    (female)

notorious b HB User

hey, i actually LOST 5 lbs by going on my AD... as someone has already said, they work differently for everyone.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:52 AM   #14
    QOD

QOD HB User

Some ppl gain weight and some ppl lose while taking anti-depressants.
    When I took paxil I put on a good 60lbs.
    But everyone is different.
    Good luck with your meds.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:02 PM   #15
    LittleOme

LittleOme HB User

This probably has like nothing to do with this topic, but I am going to throw it in here anyways since I am new to this. My friend has been struggling with depression for the last few months. And she is on like 5 different kinds of medications. I know 2 of them are zoloft and welbutrin. She has never been overweight, nor underweight, but since she's been on these meds, shes lost about 30lbs, and FAST! I know it's not healthy for her!! But she claims its the welbutrin causing her weight loss, she says it can make her anorexic. Is this true?? I just can't see how an anti-depressant medication can cause something like this. I understand maybe a slight change in her eating habits, or loss of appetite, but really ANOREXIC? She said it was stated in her papers when she got the medication filled. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this, and is it possible???

Closed Thread