It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• chewing/spitting - is it harmful?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
    kez4k

kez4k HB User
    Question chewing/spitting - is it harmful?

Is chewing/spitting harmful or hard on the body? (obviously not good for dental health, but other than that?)

Safe and ok?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
    Dance4jc
    Veteran

Dance4jc HB User
    Re: chewing/spitting - is it harmful?

Whether it is physically harmful or not, you definately have a problem if you are considering doing it. If your weight worries you so much you really should consider talking to someone. Please be careful.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
    dfwgoodguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

It will lead to worse. You might even jump into bullimia thinking, "this isn't that big od a deal if i just do it soinso many days" "i can control it" You really can't, and i advise to browse some websites on bullimia/anorexia/c&s.

Don't do it, just try to do somthing to keep your mind off food. I was a benge eater without purging, because constantly food was the only thing i thought about, now i eat sensibly, lost all of my weight healthily and am going to keep it off healthily. If you felt you had to ask if it was harmful for you, you most likely already know that its not a good thing to do.

Good Luck

Old 03-25-2004, 02:39 AM   #4
    Silencer5

Silencer5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kez4k
    Is chewing/spitting harmful or hard on the body? (obviously not good for dental health, but other than that?)

Safe and ok?
    I used to do that too... made me feel less guilty about eating but guilty for doing it. only side effect that was noticible was the part of my throat responsible for spitting hurt (like a pulled muscle). Definitely try not to do this at all. Rule it out as a possible option and think your only option is to eat well because if you start factoring in other possibilities, one thing wont seem wrong then another- until nothing seems wrong and you'll be very sick. Please please get help now before you develop something potentially really harmful...

-Silencer5

Old 03-25-2004, 07:17 AM   #5
    kez4k

kez4k HB User

Thank you all for the feedback!

Not harmful then ... that's good to know. I'm not worried about sinking deeper; I've been deeper and I'm trying to turn. But it's so hard. But this is at least better than purging, isn't it? My ultimate goal is to be able to eat normally, but it's.. still so difficult to deal with the urges to binge and purge. C/s-ing is in other words better, less harmful.

Thank you for caring and for responding!

Old 03-25-2004, 07:51 PM   #6
    tori1234

tori1234 HB User

I have been CS'ing for about six months now -- and I just told my Psychiatrist the other day. If I get any advice/help through therapy that helps me stop, then I will post it here for everyone to read. I wish I could stop soo badly.. but it's addicting!

Old 03-26-2004, 03:20 PM   #7
    KatJ

KatJ HB User

Kez.. I think that you misinturpreted what the others were saying. Harmful is not only a physical issue.. but rather it is psychological as well. I am bulimic and the thought of chew/spitting has crossed my mind as well... becuase it is not really that physically harmful... in comparison to bulimia--that is, of course, as far as I know! The point is, however, that something is wrong if I feel the need to chew-spit! I would suggest going to a psychologist and getting their advice. I am not that qualified to help you... all I have his personal experience. I know you may role your eyes to this... and think you don't have to worry about going deeper into other eating disorders... but the truth is that you must be worried some or you wouldn't have posted. What happens if you decide to swallow the food one day... How do you get ride of it then? Or what if you never eat, but rather only chew-spit food! Psychologicaly there is a reason you are doing this... it is not healty... Please seek help.. and don't fool yourself that it isn't harmful!

Love

Old 03-26-2004, 09:26 PM   #8
    dfwgoodguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kez4k
    Thank you all for the feedback!

Not harmful then ... that's good to know. I'm not worried about sinking deeper; I've been deeper and I'm trying to turn. But it's so hard. But this is at least better than purging, isn't it? My ultimate goal is to be able to eat normally, but it's.. still so difficult to deal with the urges to binge and purge. C/s-ing is in other words better, less harmful.

Thank you for caring and for responding!

Yes listen to KatJ, it is just as harmful as b/p. It gets you in a mindset, and once your there, you can't turn away. Now i can somewhat understand if u b/p and are trying to work your way out of that by c/s. But both are on the same boat. In no way is it better than b/p, its just a different form. If you get sucked into the c/s you'll go back or stick with b/p guaranteed.

Just be careful, and try to realize what your doing, and if your not too far in you might be able to get out by yourself. Im sure you can ask on these boards what kind of dr or whatever you can talk to and get some help. They hear many stories and most definatly worse storys than what your going through. Don't be afraid or embarassed to get help, especially from someone who is a dr on this. I understand completely what you are going through even though i am not in the same position, they will not judge you, because it is not you, it is an actual illness.

Last edited by dfwgoodguy; 03-26-2004 at 09:27 PM.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:53 PM   #9
    misswrrrld

misswrrrld HB User

I had no idea anyone else did this!
    honestly.
    I thought i was just a freak.
    I was annorexic, And now im a whole bunch of ED's smashed together.
    I do incredibly weird things like that: chewing and spitting, only being able to eat yogurt for days, having to put fat-free butter-spray on all my food before i can eat it, being afraid to eat anything with protein, etc.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:07 PM   #10
    Heathe

Heathe HB User

Well been there done that! Is it harmful to the bod? Don't think so. To the mind? Well, it was for me. Only because it was still part of my ED. I knew it was not a positive thing because I didn't tell anyone. I knew then and there that it had to be just another ED cropping up for me...I always try new ones on or at least I did while visiting "denial land " Can't say that it made me go deeper into an ED because I did it after I "recovered" but it was honestly just stalling the healing process for me. Did I like it? Heck ya! No muss no fuss and easy to explain. But it was still expensive and time consuming. Can't say I don't miss it but I still miss my ED sick as it sounds. But I know I can't do it and like me in the A.M.

Closed Thread