It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Bulimia & Birth Control- QUESTION?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
    Silencer5

Silencer5 HB User
    Bulimia & Birth Control- QUESTION?

I am 21 and have a serious boyfriend and just started taking birth control for the first time. I am going on my second year fighting bulimia and i didn't think the pill would be a good idea (afraid of vomitting it up and it not being effective). So, i opted for the patch (ortho evra). I started it today and have been readin up on it and am scared to death to gain weight. My doctor told me there is no weight gain but ive been reading some people have experienced this.

Is anyone else on birth control and can share pros/cons? Is one type better than another??? Are there any side effects connected with bulimia??? Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    -Silencer5

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #2
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User
    Re: Bulimia & Birth Control- QUESTION?

If you really think about it, no pill or patch can make you gain weight without you realizing it. If that were true, they would have pills that could do the opposite (lose weight) and there wouldnt be all these fad diets. They could also give underweight ppl pills, instead of having them eat more.

More often then not, when a pill says it could cause weight gain, it usually means it stimulates your apetite more...so you could be hungrier. When normal ppl without EDs take it, then would eat more because they are hungrier. But if you are controlling what you eat (like most ppl with EDs do) then you cant just magically gain weight without eating more!

Old 08-09-2004, 09:35 AM   #3
    Saint_Jo

Saint_Jo HB User

I agree. When i went on the pill i asked my dr if i would gain wait and he told me that i wouldn't as long as i controlled what i ate. He explained to me that it just stimulates your appittie.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
    FitPigg

FitPigg HB User

Silencer...oh, please inform yourself and get information on eating disorders. Please, I am 31yrs old and admitted myself to an eating disorders clinic in 1994. I passed out at the MVA while renewing my license at only 78lbs.
    Eating disorders have way more to with what's going on inside then looks. I have very bad dental problems and the enamel on my teeth have been eaten away as a result of my bulimia. I always thougth I was invincible. I have put thousands of $$$$ into my teeth because I have lost them due to bulimia. so , YES there many and bad side effects from bulimia. Please get yourself some help and live a happy life. Find out what is eating you up inside.
    Hugs,
    RP

Closed Thread