It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Bulimia? compulsive eating? Sugar addiction!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2004, 04:47 AM   #1
    liquidsilva

liquidsilva HB User
    Bulimia? compulsive eating? Sugar addiction!

Hi,
    I just wanted t share this with you. I have seen finding out about sugar addiction. I thought it was just a load of old waffle before but when I started to read about it it made sense.
    I was bulimic when i was a teenager, and have been a compulsive eater for years...I have tried to diet so many times but always end up putting on loads more weight due to bingeing.
    I read that sugar always makes you crave more...just like cocaine or something...so you have to see it as a drug that you are addicted to and cut it totally from your diet...in the refined form. you can eat anything that is natrully sweet or fructose but you have to cut any other refined sugar. ( read lots of lables for glucose, maltose, lactose and more!)
    I have been eating what ever i like and have lost weight and havent even be tempted to binge. For sweet snacks i have those gooey mejool dates with cream cheese and walnuts. mmm
    I hope this is a thing that some of you will try...i am amazed by how easy it has been!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
    catfrogs

catfrogs HB User
    Re: Bulimia? compulsive eating? Sugar addiction!

true, some people have a body chemistry that treats sugar much the same as it would a drug. a good way to get "off" of sugar is to try something like the South Beach diet or Atkins - which will get you off of sugar in all forms of simple carbohydrates. i tried these diets and could not do them because i literally went through withdrawl stages! i got sick and my doctor told me not to diet with these diets.

still, many times with compulsive overeating there is more than just the factor of sugar addiction that is coming into play. food is being used as a comfort too much - and so many people do it! around 3pm every day i still find myself unconciously looking for something sweet... my mind starts wondering and i get fidgety.. end up roaming through the kitchen. we usually don't have it so i have to go get it. that's when i know it's a sugar attack.

years ago my compulsive overeating got the best of me and i gained 60 lbs in 3 months! it was horrible because i had to spend so much money on new, FAT clothes and i didn't see the problem as my overeating. then, i had decided that it was just that i "gained weight easily." when i started going to a therapist and keeping a food journal she said, "that's a lot of food you're eating." i had never thought so but she was right!

plain and simple, it is our relationship with food and/or our relationship with our stress. when i am bored i find myself eating. when i have a great day i have difficulty just "being" with those feelings so i eat. when i start i usually can't stop. with me it's many things, including sugar. you may be a lucky one. perhaps yours is only sugar, but just be aware that it could be other things too. good luck!

Old 08-14-2004, 02:12 AM   #3
    Kyarahh

Kyarahh HB User

I'm a sugar addict myself, so I shouldn't talk! But I'll share some knowledge and experience that I've found to be true.

Yes, simple sugars are quick to enter the bloodstream cause the body to produce insulin to combat the heightened bloodsugar levels. When this happens, your initial 'sugar high' turns into a low, usually leaving you with a desire to achieve that high again. Sugar is also linked with serotonin production in the brain, the neurotransmitter that signals calmness and satiety. Therefore, when insulin cleans the blood of sugars, naturally, your body wants that 'high' feeling again.

Protein is one recommended way to fight the 'highs' and 'lows' due to bloodsugar swings. Not only does protein make you feel satisfied for a sustained amount of time, it also slows the flow of sugars into your bloodstream. Complex carbohydrates also help slow the assimilation of sugars into the bloodstream. They are digested slower and also produce a 'fuller' feeling for a longer period of time. A little fat in the diet also slows the digestion of simple sugars!

I don't deny myself sugar, that's for certain. But I always try to be sure I intake enough protein and fiber in my diet as well, and it usually helps. Your cream cheese and walnuts both have protein and fat, so they may help provide some sustained satiety! Good luck to you!

Last edited by Kyarahh; 08-14-2004 at 02:15 AM.

Old 08-14-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Hi...I'm a compulsive overeater and have been for YEARS...but it's ony been in the past year or so that I knew I was out of control. I had always been able to lose the weight when I wanted to, so, I've been up and down..and yo-yoing...most of my life. I now have a wrecked metabolism because of it.

I am DEFINITELY an emotional eater...and it's not the sweets I really crave, but CHOCOLATE!!! In fact, the darker the better...so it's not really sweet at all. It, too, is a serotonin-booster and unfortunately, is every bit as addicting as a drug. And maybe harder to get off...because chocolate is quite abundant!

I also overeat at dinner, and there's not a speck of sugar in the meal, unless it's some fruit. And I'm not really a bread eater. So, for me, it's not about the sugar...it's more about the food, itself, and its comfort. Sad, but true.....

Char

Closed Thread