It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• ? about anorexia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
    Out_of_place

Out_of_place HB User
    ? about anorexia

If someone is anorexic is it really hard to become normal again?
    How does someone who doesn't eat survive?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 12:40 AM   #2
    emily_1990
    Veteran

emily_1990 HB User
    Re: ? about anorexia

Yes it is really hard to become normal again but it is possible through recovery.

It is possible because you're body starts feeding off of stored food (I think, I don't know too much about that, someone else can probably tell you more). Plus, though anorexic people may regularly fast it is mainly just restriction which means they still eat a bit.

Sorry, this probably hasn't helped much!
    Emily xoxox

Old 09-01-2004, 07:40 AM   #3
    roxychic0437

roxychic0437 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: ? about anorexia

Once youve fallen into the dark hole of anorexia its very hard to get out, imagine falling into a 50 ft hole, and only being able to use your hands to get out. once you do, something feels or goes wrong and you jump back in again.

Anorexia is a mental disorder in the mind, its not just about the food, usually for someone to have a ED something has to be going way wrong in the life that they feel they cant control. so they choose to control the weight, and little by little there mind becomes overcontrolled with bad thoughts of food. eating is like a major guilt trip.. and by not eating you ruin your body, shutting down your organs and you become very tired so your body uses all your energy for nutrtion and 'restoration' along with this. your body goes into panick mode, where everything you eat is stored, for when you dont eat. many anorexic people (not name calling, I suffer with this too) make a number of calories they will eat daily. ex 300 calories all day long. or if they eat one thing they wont eat anything else. Some will eat more than ususal but the next day wont eat anything. hope this helps

i hope this helps any more questions let me know

-roxy

Last edited by roxychic0437; 09-01-2004 at 07:44 AM.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:42 AM   #4
    juicy*lucy
    Veteran
    (female)

juicy*lucy HB User

Hi there

I'm quite interested why you want to know this. Most people with no connection to anorexia don't really try to understand it at all. I hope you are okay.

Anorexia takes over your life. It becomes you, it consumes you and it makes life hellish. Imagine day after day of feeling weak, tired, hungry and cold, blacking out, constant worry because you've eaten something you shouldn't have, people asking you what's wrong all the time, telling you to eat, writing letters to your parents because they're so worried, school telling you they won't have you back until you're better...you eat the bare minimum to survive and nothing more. We don't see ourselves the way other people see us. We look in the mirror and we see fat, whether we're wasting away, have a perfect figure or just a bit on the skinny side. You are never happy. You try to get help but there's still a part of you that doesn't want to get better, the part that's scared of putting on weight; that's the anorexia talking.

You don't get a break from it. It isn't something where you can take it or leave it. It is always there with you. And if you do start to recover, you relapse and relapse, but you have to carry on with your life at the same time, trying to keep up with friends, with family, with school, with your job.

If you are worried you have an ED please talk to us or someone you trust. If you're just curious then thanks if you're trying to understand any more questions let us know we will try to help.

xxx J*L xxx

Old 09-01-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
    Dance4jc
    Veteran

Dance4jc HB User

Good Post Juicy Lucy!

~Dance

Old 09-01-2004, 02:29 PM   #6
    Out_of_place

Out_of_place HB User

Thanks alot you all have given me some great information.

Im am sort of ashamed to admit this but I wanted to know these things because I was thinking if I become anorexic.... I could have self controll a perfect body and be happy all of the time, I know im not fat but im average weight, and average wait just isn't what I want to be. I exercise 3x's a week now. I haven't been doing it for long, but I want to get quick results and I fugured anorexia was the key to that, but now I see that I was completely wrong and I'll just have to exercise more I guess.

Thanks alot!!!!!

Old 09-01-2004, 08:02 PM   #7
    LooksLikeRain
    Inactive

LooksLikeRain HB User

Please don't ever "think about" becoming anorexic. You can never really become anorexic by choice. It becomes you. lol that sounded all dramatic. Just please take everybody's advice here and keep up your healthy diet. I read on one of the members posts that 20percent of anorexics die. I don't t=know if that is accurate but it is scary.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
    juicy*lucy
    Veteran
    (female)

juicy*lucy HB User

Hey there

LooksLikeRain is totally right, you don't choose anorexia, anorexia chooses you. You don't have any control over it at all, it isn't a quick solution to anything and it's very hard to get out if it once you're in. Please think about it carefully if you're wanting to lose weight, do it sensibly and don't lose too much. Just eat healthily and exercise sensibly and your body will settle down at a weight it is comfortable with.

Take care

x J*L x

Old 09-02-2004, 09:04 AM   #9
    roxychic0437

roxychic0437 HB User

when anorexia takes over you my dear, its not fun. you will never be able to have children. you will always be tired, cold, LITTLE energy. you are messing up your organs so everything doesnt work right. imagine not being able to eat your favorite meals, and surving on water,tee, and FAT FREE everything. no exceptions. it will replapse, and you are techniquly killing yourself ounce by ounce. like going out with friends? doing what you love to do. well forget that, youll be couting labels and figure out ways to get out of eating instead. DO NOT go down this path, listen to what every1 is saying. its not fun, trust me.
    oh yeah many anorexics loose there friends to btw

-roxy

Old 09-02-2004, 03:21 PM   #10
    trulydisturbed

trulydisturbed HB User

I've suffered from anorexia for the past 8 years. It all started when I was in gymnastics and wanting to train to be an olympian. After a competition a judge said that I was way to fat and that I would never make it as a gymnast. Ever since then I have had serious issues with food. I haven't fallen as deep into the disease as some people on this board, but I have been so close it's scary. It's hard to ever think normal after dealing with this for so long, you always feel like people are judging you and how you look, and if you even eat one thing that you shouldn't you feel SO guilty. Eventually you get to a point where you have a choice to eat and get your life back or die. It's a pretty scary feeling to know that you can just wither away b/c you're afraid to eat. I've been doing so much better the past couple years, the thought of being fat still looms in the back of my mind every day, but I have learned to control my urge not to eat and know that I have to....

Old 09-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #11
    LooksLikeRain
    Inactive

LooksLikeRain HB User

that was a good entry trulydisturbed. it's pretty much get it under control, or die. scarrrry. i need to finish losing weight then i'll think about eating more but i doubt i'll have much success with that. anyway, out_of_Place i hope you're feeling ok.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:26 PM   #12
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Lookslikerain, you said "you need to finish losing weight then youll think about eating more"...that isnt healthy at all. Eating a proper amount does not mean gaining weight! I dont know your exact height or weight, but I know youve lost a LOT of weight. You should be eating at minimum 1400 Calories per day! Losing weight does not mean starving yourself. Also, I am willing to bet that you DONT need to lose more weight at all!!

As for the tightness thing- it very well could be related. Your body pretty much shuts down, and that includes all your organs. I personally didnt experience that, but everybody reacts differently. Please get help now!!

Old 09-02-2004, 07:00 PM   #13
    Out_of_place

Out_of_place HB User

Thanks everyone!!

Old 10-16-2004, 10:58 PM   #14
    stressedout411

stressedout411 HB User

it is hard for someone to become normal after anorexia and to survive is a different story..... my parents think i am anorexic and bulimic but i am not and they do not get that ..... well to see the real effects my guy cousin became anorexic and is struggling he dug himself into a deep hole.... he won't even drink water and he is constantly on the scale and if someone you know has them get it help because when you have someone you love in this stage of it, things can get scary. My uncle does nothing about it because he knows they are whole family generation is screwed up and my aunt is terrified so ya. But I can't dare lose him...... if i would of noticed i could have helped.

Closed Thread