It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Please can anyone help me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2004, 06:59 PM   #16
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User
    Re: Please can anyone help me

Aurora, honey,

I do not know you nor your history, but just in the last couple of days, I have been reading your messages to those who have been struggling, and I have been awed by your kindness, understanding, and support -- to newbies and veterans alike.

I don't have an ED, but I am in this forum because my dearest friend in the world's 17-year-old daughter does.

I have, however, experienced overwhelming feelings of self-loathing for "allowing" myself to gain about 15 pounds in just the last few years, while I was developing hypothyroidism. When the weight didn't begin to come off after starting to take thyroid meds, I renewed my "lazy, fat pig" thinking, not realizing that I was developing a neuromuscular disorder that severely limits my physical activity (as in just being able to walk from one end of the supermarket to the other without having to stop several times to get my strength back).

And now, I'm still beating myself up for not having lost any weight, when it turns out that I am also suffering from borderline high levels of cortisol, for which I am undergoing endocrine testing.

Oh, and I should add that I am taking 375 mg Effexor a day (and no, there isn't supposed to be a decimal point between the 7 and the 5).

What I'm trying to say is that I have medically legitimate reasons for gaining the weight, but I still blame myself for, as I already wrote, "allowing" it to happen, due to a lack of self-control, self-discipline, etc., etc. I truly know intellectually how ridiculous it sounds, but I can't help it. I hate being this fat; I'm heavier now than I was when I was nine months pregnant with my son.

Dear Aurora, I know how difficult it is for you to believe all of the wonderful things that so many people in this forum have written about you. You wrote: "I am a nobody, nothing special", and I began to cry for you, because from what little I do know about you, you are a big, huge SOMEBODY, and a very SPECIAL one at that!!! But you need to know and believe that all on your own.

I wish I knew how to help you make that journey to accepting yourself as the wonderful, unique person that you are.

I think that the best thing that I, this total stranger about whom everybody is wondering, "Who is she, and why is she in here?" (lol), can do for you is to pray for you and for the strength you need to make that journey. You already have the tools to get back on track; you just need to unlock the tool box!

I am hoping that returning to work will actually help you in that regard. It sounds to me as if you derive a certain amount of self-esteem from doing the work that you do, and that can only be a very good thing!!

Hugs,
    Pat (who does know ::sigh::, deep down, that she has many special qualities, even if she is too hard on herself about her weight...)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 07:44 PM   #17
    Quencher
    (female)

Quencher HB User

Aury:

You heap too much work on yourself. You need not be everyoneís support system, you know? You should not be carrying the burden for everyone elseís troubles, even though it IS nice for you to do so. But in doing so, it only ends up hurting YOU. And you donít deserve to be hurt as such. And going back is not a way of admitting that you are a ďstupid cow.Ē And I understand that you want to get back to work and all, but just know that work CAN wait. You need to focus on the ED now, Aur, and beat it to its ENTIRETY before you can guarantee yourself a normal life. And well, I suppose thatís all I have to say. I just SO wish you would go back inpatient. You OWE it to yourself, you really do. And you can't afford to risk, even the POSSIBILITY, of this happening again...

As for me? I start school on the 13th. I didnít binge Monday through Wednesday, (too busy and tired) and then today, I binged like there was NO end. See? Nothing revolutionary. If anything, itís retrogression. Sigh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Eschew obfuscation.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:17 AM   #18
    juicy*lucy
    Veteran
    (female)

juicy*lucy HB User

Aur,

you are clearly someone very special, not a nobody at all but someone who all of these people care about so deeply. I don't know you but I find myself thinking through the day, hoping you are okay and remembering that everyone here wants you to get through this. Do not give up on yourself because we haven't and we won't. We believe in you, otherwise we would not be here.

Look after yourself Aur,

xxx J*L xxx

Old 09-10-2004, 08:56 PM   #19
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Hi all-

Aur..well you know what Im going to say... basically what everyone else has really summed up really really nicely! We dont think that you cant recover. You are not hopeless. You will beat this. But as much as I understand why you "cant" go back right now, you must...there is no question in my mind that waiting till its a "good" time in your opinion will prove to be very detrimental to your health. This is not a dig at you in any way, so please dont take offence, but you cant let things wait out and go back eventually. What will this prove? That you could last another week living off of nothing and exercising 24 hrs a day? In 50 years, when you are sitting on a porch with your Hub and your puppy (who wont really be a puppy I suppose...) what will be more important- that you spent an extra week working, or an extra week getting better, thus ensuring your long(er) life? Hmm..well...lets see....mmm....I would say that the working is irrelevant and the getting better is atucally REALLY REALLY REALLY important in the big scheme of life! Try to see things rationally...we all know that you are a workaholic, and that in some cases it may be good to be there, but not right now. You need to get healthy, and you need to do.it.now! PLease please please pleaseeee try to understand this....Take care of yoruself...
    XO GG

Old 09-10-2004, 09:09 PM   #20
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Dearest Aur -

If only I could make you see that you are unnecessarily hard on yourself!! You cannot possibly give so much without taking some back in return. We just all want to help YOU right now, as I believe yours is the most desperate situation currently.

You said that you don't want to be one of those people who find the ed unit has a revolving door. But, Aur...it wouldn't be a revolving door if you stayed long enough to get better, to learn to eat properly, and to continue to eat properly, so that you would never NEED to return. And what they think of you there doesn't matter!! Their place is not to judge, but to help.

But, OK, if you're set about returning to work, then I hope you will continue with therapy, and also, find some other source of help in which you can be monitored for eating, nutrition, etc. Maybe you could inquire at IP to see if there is something else available that would be suitable to your work schedule.

You are always so kind and caring to everyone here, but why don't you see that you are every bit as worthy, if not more so, of our caring and concern for you? You deserve every second we spend trying to help you, just as you do for us!! Just keep trying, Aur...don't give up...keep fighting the fight. DO NOT allow the ed to win!!

HUGS!!!!!!!!!
    Char

Old 09-11-2004, 04:40 PM   #21
    Aurora
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aurora HB User

Hiya guys

Thankyou so much to you all for this continuing support! You have been like angels to me, because as you may have gathered this week has been pretty tough for me both ed wise and also lots of crap has happened with my family. This has literally catapulted me back to my familiar role as the 'strong supportive one.' In many ways I relish this role because I just long to be needed. It validates my existence.

PatNJ - Firstly, we welcome ALL to this board, so stop worrying that people will wonder why you are here. Ok? And secondly, I owe you a big thankyou! Seriously! You have shared your own private experiences and this helps people (like me) feel less alone. I find it hard to know how to thank people when they compliment me for I do not feel worthy of the praise I seem to receive on here. Having said that though I would like to thank you for believing in me. It means more than words could possibly express that people who I have never even met have such faith in my ability to get through this.

Pat I really hope you can learn to accept your own special qualities as the most important aspect of who you are. It is difficult to do this when you are caught up in self loathing, but you must continue to try and see the great person that others perceive you as. I wish you lots of happiness and I pray your friends daughter gets through this difficult time too.

Quenchy - Well honey, I prefer to look at the positive and congratulate you on your binge free days. So have a hug from me ((((quench))))) I live in eternal hope that one day you will allow yourself the help you deserve and until then you always have us. We never stop believing in you
    Good Luck for your first day back at school

Juicy Lucy - I too think of you all even when I am away from the computer. I find myself silently wishing strength to you all. And hoping that you will all find the key to your own happiness very soon. Thankyou for being there for many of us lately. You have been great!

GG - Please try to understand. I know that health is important but so is keeping a roof over my head. I need the pay and I think I need the small amount of self esteem I get when I get to help people at work. I know it sounds like a cop out - and I will admit flat out that I do wonder if I am doing this all to fool myself that I can't go back to hospital. But be it due to pride or neccessity I am currently unable to ask for help from the ed unit again.

I hope school is going well. Please don't overdo things with school and your job. Your education is important - particularly if you mean to persue a career like you are currently considering.

Char - well I talked to my counsellor and she has agreed to see me in a few days time. But she is an NHS counsellor and I will only be allowed a session with her once a week maximum. So thats what I will be trying I guess. Maybe its not enough, but I don't know how to arrange anything else that will fit in with my work schedule.

Take it easy Char - all that cleaning and unpacking is strenuous work!

Hugs to all from H xoxo

PS I know this is selfish of me to keep going on about my probs, but if any of you are religious can you please pray for my dad to get better...he is really not doing good. I don't know if I could cope if I lost him too. Thankyou very much.

Last edited by Aurora; 09-11-2004 at 04:42 PM.

Old 09-11-2004, 06:24 PM   #22
    Luktyl
    (female)

Luktyl HB User

Aurora - You are absolutely amazing for replying to each person individually - you have SO many people pulling for you! In answer to your questions, seeking help will not make anyone think you are stupid or weak - quite the contrary, as I see it. It takes a TREMENDOUS amount of inner strength and perseverance to overcome an eating disorder. It also takes a leap of faith. You have to trust your team not to let you drown. I also know that it is possible to be happy - or at least to NOT be clinically depressed (which I was for a very long time). My own story... Yes - I am recovering from anorexia, in the grip of which I was for about eighteen years (I'm presently 40 - kind of ancient, I think). I was hospitalized three times, yet I don't think it was any of those hospitalizations that ultimately saved me. They simply functioned to keep me going so that I could do the REAL work. As a matter of fact, I have recently reached the realization that I am incredibly lucky to be alive. My physical low was 75 lbs at 5'4'' - not as little as some, but definitly enough to kill you. I also have used tons and tons of ipecac - which tends to weaken the heart. To this day I cringe when I see or hear the word. It's deadly. So, I know that God for some reason gave me a second chance. I am not back to 100% - nor do I ever think I will be. For me, I don't think "full" recovery is a possibility. Thoughts about food and weight still govern much of my time - but I am no longer motivated to let them take over and TOTALLY control me. I have down days - but they are fairly far between now. I have a family, which I appreciate so because I know my two little boys are miracles. They keep me motivated, and are my pint sized heroes. You CAN get there as well - Aurora - or to an even better place. You are obviously a strong, loving person. Turn some of the strength and love on yourself!!! No one deserves it more.

Last edited by Luktyl; 09-11-2004 at 06:24 PM.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:50 PM   #23
    firewtr38
    Veteran
    (female)

firewtr38 HB User

Aurora
    I just wanted to reply because I too have seen a great deal of support from so many people for you during this horrible battle. It is really amazing the support we can get from people we don't even see or talk with often. I don't know your whole story, and I'm of course not going to make you rehash it all. But I want you to know that I am thinking of you and believe in your ability to overcome, your courage and incredible strength. As well as your strong will to try and live a somewhat "normal" life while trying to beat it. I don't know you well enough to be telling you that you should go inpatient or anything like that. I just want you to know that I'm here thinking about you, supporting you and praying for you as you seem to do for so many.

Fire

Old 09-12-2004, 01:16 PM   #24
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

Dear Aurora,

I was so moved by your taking the time to respond to me in such a personal way. Thank you for caring about me, as well as my friend and her dd.

It has often struck me that the most special people in the world (like YOU!) are the ones who feel the least worthy of being labeled so. Maybe that's part of what makes people like you, dear Aurora, as special as you are.

As I've written before, I know that even though our words mean the world to you, you aren't ready to believe them yourself. But you will someday... it won't happen in a day or a week or in a month, or in several months, but at some point in the future, you will suddenly take stock of yourself, shocked at how you could have gotten to that point without realizing it, and say to yourself, "H, you done good!!!"

On a more somber note, please be assured of my prayers for your dad. I hope that he can look forward to a full recovery.

And good luck to you as you return to work tomorrow!! I hope that it will help get you back on track; maybe it will be good for you to be distracted from your family concerns and your own personal struggles. I've got you in my prayers, too, dear one!

Hugs,
    Pat

Old 09-12-2004, 03:00 PM   #25
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurora
    Hiya guys

Thankyou so much to you all for this continuing support! You have been like angels to me, because as you may have gathered this week has been pretty tough for me both ed wise and also lots of crap has happened with my family. This has literally catapulted me back to my familiar role as the 'strong supportive one.' In many ways I relish this role because I just long to be needed. It validates my existence.

PatNJ - Firstly, we welcome ALL to this board, so stop worrying that people will wonder why you are here. Ok? And secondly, I owe you a big thankyou! Seriously! You have shared your own private experiences and this helps people (like me) feel less alone. I find it hard to know how to thank people when they compliment me for I do not feel worthy of the praise I seem to receive on here. Having said that though I would like to thank you for believing in me. It means more than words could possibly express that people who I have never even met have such faith in my ability to get through this.

Pat I really hope you can learn to accept your own special qualities as the most important aspect of who you are. It is difficult to do this when you are caught up in self loathing, but you must continue to try and see the great person that others perceive you as. I wish you lots of happiness and I pray your friends daughter gets through this difficult time too.

Quenchy - Well honey, I prefer to look at the positive and congratulate you on your binge free days. So have a hug from me ((((quench))))) I live in eternal hope that one day you will allow yourself the help you deserve and until then you always have us. We never stop believing in you

Juicy Lucy - I too think of you all even when I am away from the computer. I find myself silently wishing strength to you all. And hoping that you will all find the key to your own happiness very soon. Thankyou for being there for many of us lately. You have been great!

GG - Please try to understand. I know that health is important but so is keeping a roof over my head. I need the pay and I think I need the small amount of self esteem I get when I get to help people at work. I know it sounds like a cop out - and I will admit flat out that I do wonder if I am doing this all to fool myself that I can't go back to hospital. But be it due to pride or neccessity I am currently unable to ask for help from the ed unit again.

I hope school is going well. Please don't overdo things with school and your job. Your education is important - particularly if you mean to persue a career like you are currently considering.

Char - well I talked to my counsellor and she has agreed to see me in a few days time. But she is an NHS counsellor and I will only be allowed a session with her once a week maximum. So thats what I will be trying I guess. Maybe its not enough, but I don't know how to arrange anything else that will fit in with my work schedule.

Take it easy Char - all that cleaning and unpacking is strenuous work!

Hugs to all from H xoxo

PS I know this is selfish of me to keep going on about my probs, but if any of you are religious can you please pray for my dad to get better...he is really not doing good. I don't know if I could cope if I lost him too. Thankyou very much.

Hiya Aur!!

Soooo glad you'll have therapy once a week! I hope, too, that perhaps the program can help find a way to provide you with some outside support for nutrition, a bit of monitoring, etc. I think you will need this, Aur. Don't forget - you are used to 24/7 monitoring and guidance. To quit everything "cold turkey", I fear, will be unduly difficult for you. Especially now, when you have so many pressures with bereavement, an ill father, and your return to work full time. This is a treacherous load for anyone to carry, much less, someone who *may not* be eating as she should, and who is still a bit frail. Please find a way, Aur!! And I will keep your dad, AND YOU, in my prayers, as always. +++++++ dad +++++++ ++++++++ Aur +++++++ Those are prayers for you both!!

Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Char

Old 09-12-2004, 04:00 PM   #26
    Quencher
    (female)

Quencher HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurora
    Aw, thanks. But you must not congratulate me. I am now only back to my old habits, and even WORSE than before. I am overeating constantly AND bingeing in between, and I don't really wish to try and fight it. I just can't anymore. Too tired, too angry, too frustrated.

So, how are you doing eating-wise these past few days? Any better? You haven't mentioned it much. And I really hope that your father gets well soon. Keep us updated, okay?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Eschew obfuscation.

Old 09-12-2004, 04:13 PM   #27
    emily_1990
    Veteran

emily_1990 HB User

Hey

I'm very very tired at the moment so this probably won't be long or say most of the things I want to say.

I just wanted to let you know I am still reading and thinking of you. you are doing so so well, just focus on the thoughts of why you want to recover. Although I'm not religious, I'll be thinking of your dad and sending both of you my best wishes.

Quench, a few days of slip ups are not enough to rule out all of the wondeful days of achievement, you CAN and WILL keep fighting this and beat it.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:52 AM   #28
    juicy*lucy
    Veteran
    (female)

juicy*lucy HB User

Keep fighting Aur. You mustn't give up. Look at all the support you have - if only we were trained doctors/dieticians as well! I hope that you want to get better because that is the most important thing. We will all help you as much as we can. Just let us know how you are doing and we will do whatever we can to help. You are too special to lose Aur, I hope that you can see that in yourself.

Love and hugs

xxxJ*L xxx

Old 09-14-2004, 02:13 PM   #29
    Aurora
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aurora HB User

Hiya

Once again, I find an amazing wealth of comfort from your words. You are all such lovely, caring people. Whether you believe you are beautiful or not, you must believe me when I say you all have beautiful souls!

Luktyl - 18 years of anorexia, the pain of it for that long. Do you realise how amazing you are to be a recovering anorexic after that long? I am so proud for you. That is most certainly an achievement! I have been struggling for 9 and a half years or so now. Started as an EDNOS, but then became anorexia. It feels like a lifetime to me, so I cannot comprehend how it felt for you
    And you have two little sons as well. That is surely a miracle from God! They must bring you such happiness! Don't give up on yourself though - things can get even better than where you are now. Even if you don't believe you can recover 100%, I will be wishing you to feel even happier than ever before!

Lauren - that was a beautiful post you wrote to me. But you must never forget how special YOU are too. I am sure that lots of people here would say such equally lovely things about you too. Never give up fighting it sweetie, you deserve to get well.

Pat - How could I NOT care about someone who is so caring as you are? How are you doing just now? And your friend and her daughter? Is she getting professional help? I hope she can get through this suffering very soon.
    Thank you so much for saying a prayer for my dad and I. I love my dad so much but his heart is just not doing so good and I am scared of losing him. I want him to live longer - I want to make him proud that he has me for a daughter...selfish aren't I I just want him to live forever I guess...

Char - Well I see my therapist tomorrow and I am praying her scales weigh differently to mine here so she doesn't realise I lost a few pounds...I am trying. Honestly, I do want to get better. Promise. Its just harder than I anticipated. Its so tempting to just slip back to my normal habits of restricting... But I guess thats why I am seeing her - to get better. Right?
    Thanks for keeping my dad in your prayers too. I know I am being selfish,...but I love him so much. I want him to live to see his retirement and stuff. I want him to have the chance to grow old and bald (lol baldER than at present) and spend time with my mum. *sigh* I WANT a lot don't I?
    Hows your house shaping up? And your eating? Come on Char, you can tell us how you feel you know. You don't have to bottle it up inside.

Quench - You may feel like giving up on yourself. But we will NEVER give up on YOU! You deserve happiness. I wish so badly that I could give you some happiness. Please isn't there anyone you can talk to at school, a counsellor or something. You needn't tell them about the food yet, just tell them you feel bad. Sad and frustrated and upset with yourself and you don't want to live like this, that you WANT to be happy.
    PPPLLLEEEAAASSSSEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With a cherry on top, lol!

Emsie - thanks for the best wishes. I hope you are not overdoing things Em, are you not sleeping well? Or is it just adjusting back to a school routine that is tiring you? Anyway, hope you are a little happier now that you have had a few more days to adjust to your new teachers and classmates. And I really hope you are eating enough too. I do worry for you.

J*L - If you were all trained doctors then we would ll be able to help even more. But as it stands you are all an amazing comfort to those you write to. Thankyou for taking time to send me your thoughts. It means a lot that people have been so kind to me.

Hope everyone is doing ok, surviving, trying to do the right thing and all that.
    Sending many hugs in your directions (be it north, south , east or west) and I hope they find their way to you all.

Love H xoxo

Last edited by Aurora; 09-14-2004 at 02:14 PM.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:21 PM   #30
    emily_1990
    Veteran

emily_1990 HB User

Hi H

"Once again, I find an amazing wealth of comfort from your words. You are all such lovely, caring people. Whether you believe you are beautiful or not, you must believe me when I say you all have beautiful souls! "
    That means when I say back at you, you have to believe it too!

"Emsie - thanks for the best wishes. I hope you are not overdoing things Em, are you not sleeping well? Or is it just adjusting back to a school routine that is tiring you? Anyway, hope you are a little happier now that you have had a few more days to adjust to your new teachers and classmates. And I really hope you are eating enough too. I do worry for you."
    I'm eating fine, settling into school slowly lol just not sleeping very well so no cause for worry here!! I'm too lazy to overdo things lol

How are you doing though? How is the eating going and everything? Are you feeling any better? How is your dad doing? (sorry about all the questions!)

Emily xoxox

Closed Thread