It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Anorexia/Bulimia and Lupus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2004, 07:22 AM   #1
    hmc121667
    (female)

hmc121667 HB User
    Anorexia/Bulimia and Lupus

Hi everyone!

I want to share a story with you about my sister in law. She has been anorexic for the past 3 years. Finally this year it cought up with her.

After trying Atkins, SB diet all the diets in the world ( she was 125 and 5'2") she finally was able to master her appetite by not eating. She would go days without eating just drinking water. She was loosing weight like she wanted but she was also getting sick very often.

Finally about 5 months ago she got very sick with her lymph nodes in her neck swollen and high fever at night. She though it was the flu. But after 3 weeks without feeling any better she went to the doctor. The blood work showed that she was anemic but the doctor thought it was Mono.

Things got worst as the time past by. Although she was always tired, her body was in pain, she could hardly walk, her lungs were full of fluid, her hair was falling and her spleen was swollen, she would not go to the doctor because she was loosing pounds.

She lost 30 pounds in 2 months. She was down to 95 pounds. She would have nose bleeds episodes, if she ate something her body would rejected because her liver and GB were not working properly.But she would not go to the doctor.

Finally we got a court order to take her to the hospital last week. She was put in ICU because her heart was malfunctioning, her heart beat was at 180 and the normal should be about 60 to 90. The lining of her heart is full of fluids and she can have a heart attack ( she is only 24)at any time. Her lungs are also full of fluids.

Her kidneys do not work so she is having new blood put into her body every day. Her GB needs to be removed...

All this because she developed Lupus due to malnutrition. Lupus affects your immunological system. Your own body starts destroying your tissue, whether is the skin, heart, lungs, hair, kidneys, liver, pancreas, etc.

In her case the doctors told her that she did get the flu but because her body was so weak and due to malnutrition her body started attacking her organs thinking the SHE was the problem not the flu.

After 5 months of not wanting to take care of herself because of wanting to loose wait, she now has a condition that has no cure and eventually will take her life.

For those that believe looks are more important that health, please learn from her. If anything let her life be an example of what you should not do.

Remember that God made us according to his will, we are beautiful the way we are. It is what is inside our hearts that really matter.

Thanks and God Bless

Last edited by hmc121667; 12-31-2004 at 07:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User
    Re: Anorexia/Bulimia and Lupus

Hello! I found your sister's story very interesting. I have struggled with bulimia for 12 years. I am 28 years old; last year after 3 months of severely limiting my caloric intake, jogging excessively and using laxatives I became ill with the flu (not due to the bulimia necessarily; the flu happened to be going around at the time).

Unfortunately I have never recovered. I have been in and out of doctor's offices trying to find out what was triggered to cause ongoing problems in my body.

I am being tested for a variety of autoimmune diseases lupus being one of them. Autoimmune diseases are not "caused" by bulimia/anorexia but they can be triggered to flare up due to the trauma induced by starvation. The combination of an illness (the severest bout of flu I've ever had!), having had a baby six months previously and starving myself was the traumatic combination that caused the flare up.

I want to say that lupus is not typically a life threatening condition if treated appropriately. There are treatments for the condition itself that have been proven to be very effective. Unfortunately and I'm deeply sorry for this, it sounds as if your sister's condition is uncommonly severe (most likely due to the ongoing starvation).

I have been free of bulimic behavior for the first year in 12 years. I can't say the thoughts and temptations are gone; they aren't. However, I have gone through my first holiday season since my struggle began without bingeing and purging. This gives me such hope! I believe discontinuing the behavior of the ED has kept my condition mild (I won't go into the details of why/how I stopped at this point). I am now up to a healthy weight.

I struggle every day though with nausea knowing that if I do not eat even though I physically do not feel like it I will slip back into the old habits of starvation.

I so appreciate your post and your heartfelt concern! Thank you for sharing such a difficult thing. Maybe your post will help keep one person from slipping into this black hole.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Closed Thread