It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• tooth decay

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
    tired and angry
    (female)

tired and angry HB User
    tooth decay

hey guys!

I thought I was doing much better with my eating and i've only been sick twice in the last week but I dunno, I guess I still got a long way to go. Anyway, I just got in from a party and part of one of my teeth just fell out. The thing is, I have never had anything wrong with my teeth ever! My teeth have always been the one thing that is near perfect but now theyre a mess too! I was just wondering if this tooth decay could have been caused by purging. I know they say there is a risk of tooth decay but I suppose I didn't take it seriously enough. Have any of you experienced problems with ur teeth as a result of purging?? What other health complications have you experienced and how often were you purging and how long had u had an ED when it happened?? I'm such a mess! I am ruining a perfect life and messing up my health but just can't seem to sort myself out. I don't know what to do!

A couple of my mates from uni kno about my eating issues and have been really good but I am home for the holidays and am finding it hard. People at home don't know the whole story. My mum keeps putting pressure on me to eat, saying that eating less wll only slow down my metabolism n i kno shes right but she doesnt kno about my bulimia properly and so doesnt understand that i am trying to eat less to avoid the urge to make myself sick. I realise this is a stupid theory anyway as it is not working very well and I am scared that soon I will have just become anorexic instead of bulimic but i dunno what else to do. The other day I went out for a meal wit a friend from school. It was a nightmare. She is the one person at home that knows the whole thing but she doesnt understand either. She kept trying to force me to eat but that really doesnt help. I already kno i should b eating more and her telling me all that jus makes me wanna stop eating all together. I kno that doesnt make sense and that if I was her id probably b doin the same thing if i hadnt been through this. Anyway, I just needed to get all of this off my chest. Thanks for listening. I'd be really really grateful for any advice.

Suzanne
    x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2005, 12:53 AM   #2
    Aurora
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aurora HB User
    Re: tooth decay

Hiya,
    Yes, hon, purging can cause tooth problems. The acid from the vomit erode the tooth enamel and this leads to more cavaties and general wear on your teeth. Personally, I have been lucky thus far in regards to my teeth, but I have experienced other serious damage to my body. Like you, I have realised that these things don't just happen to other people, they can happen to me, or to you as well.
    You asked what other problems we are experiencing - well I have had an ed for ten years now, seems an eternity. I have sustained damage to my heart, liver, and kidneys, have severe anaemia, often get electrolyte imbalances, have not menstruated properly ever - currently not at all, and numerous other side effects.
    I have written the more severe ones, because its is serious stuff having an ed. My anorexia is always there, always beckoning me to go that bit further, and to hell with the damage I am causing. Only, you wake up one day and realise that you are actually starting to die from it, and then you realise you are too scared to stop and even death seems preferable.
    Suzanne, are you getting any professional help hon? I so hope you can gather your courage and approach someone for help with this before you reach the pathetic state that I have. I don't want you to end up wishing for death because it seems the only answer, when you have your whole life stretched ahead of you - one free from your eating disorder, one where you are so happy and confident in your own skin. Never give up fighting this. You deserve to beat this disease.
    Hugs from H xoxo

Old 03-27-2005, 01:49 AM   #3
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

I've struggled with bulimia and anorexia for over 20 years. A nightmare.... And yes, purging destroys your teeth overtime. By my late 20s, I had alot of tooth sensitivity and knew my enamel was eroding away, especially on my upper teeth. Like you, I had good teeth, but I also had a tooth break away, when I was 34. Scary... By the time I was 36, I lost most of my upper teeth, though I invested in very expensive dental reconstruction. Those are the facts. I struggle with the loss, the anguish and feeling ugly most of the time. An eating disorder is a terrible cross to bear. I hope that this might help, because, when I was in my teens and twenties, there wasn't much info. on eating disorders and what happens to your body. Try to find a dentist who you feel comfortable and safe with. Most dentists are familiar with eating disorders now and have probably treated at least one patient. Your dentist can help you decide what's best for your mouth. I do know that high flouride toothpaste can help with the sensitivity. Please seek help. A good dentist will provide that care. All the best.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
    lobo1977

lobo1977 HB User

I have anemia - hair falling out, spider veins coming out on face due to purging, very pale skin, exhaustion, cavities, you name it...

Do you guys know that Terri Shaivo collapsed because of bulimia? Potassium got so low that she had decrased oxygen to her brain and look what happened- that scares me so much

Old 03-27-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
    *music23*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*music23* HB User
    Unhappy Re: tooth decay

My aunt was bulimic for 25 years. She almost has no teeth now. They are so worn down from the acid that for the most part she just has little stubbles of teeth left. I'm sorry that's not really encouraging.
    The sad thing is, she has no money, and he parents give her brothers 10s of thousands of dollars to go buy new cars, but won't give her $10,000 to get new teeth.
    Kristina

Old 04-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #6
    tired and angry
    (female)

tired and angry HB User
    Unhappy Re: tooth decay

hey, thanx so much u guys. i havnt been able to get on here for a few days which is bad coz i felt i needed to. My nan died this week n then theres been a lotn of work stress related to uni n stuff n its jus trigered off a whole lot of binging n purging. I thought i had it under control. I used to b a postive person but now its like i dont care n have accepted causing myself damage n health risks rather than facing up to the problem n beating it. I still cant bring myself to get proffessional help.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #7
    Jamie 25
    (female)

Jamie 25 HB User

I have been bulimic/anorexic for just over 10 years now and I have had hair loss, tooth decay, dizzy spells, passing out just to name a few. I think it depends on the person and how often you purge. for me I went about a year before the hair loss and dizzy spells, but for tooth decay it was about 8 years before that started. never the less 9 times out of 10 you will end up with some kind of other health problem due to an ED....

Old 05-30-2005, 09:03 AM   #8
    tiffers
    (female)

tiffers HB User

I have been bulimic for 10 years and just recently went to the dentist and actually had 4 cavities due to it. That scared me because I am not about to get some fake teeth. So, yes, it does cause tooth decay.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
    gvillegirl44
    (female)

gvillegirl44 HB User

Hey...IM glad I found this post. Im going to school for dental hygiene and just finished writting a paper on eating disorders with its relation to perio problems. bulimia is worse when it comes to your teeth because when you purge your food back up stomach acid comes up with it. the acid is extremely strong and is meant to stay in your stomach and break down food particles, so when it comes up it hits the back of your teeth.
    If your not getting help for your eating disorder the best thing to do to save your teeth is to gargle with plain water, and drink it for about 10 minutes afterwords, do not brush first! the brushing will just rub the acid around in your mouth!
    I hope this helps a little bit?
    Sandra

Old 11-22-2005, 12:40 PM   #10
    NatashaW
    Inactive
    (female)

NatashaW HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lobo1977
    I have anemia - hair falling out, spider veins coming out on face due to purging, very pale skin, exhaustion, cavities, you name it...

Do you guys know that Terri Shaivo collapsed because of bulimia? Potassium got so low that she had decrased oxygen to her brain and look what happened- that scares me so much
    WE are not allowed to discuss terri schiavo!! AND there was no proof that she was bulimic..it was ALL speculation...a HOPE for an explaination! Potassium drops immediately when the heart stops..which doesnt necessarily mean it dropped because of bulimia...no body knows...Like I have said before, it is extremely inappropriate to make her a poster girl for a disease that nobody knows that she had...let her and her family be in peace.

Last edited by NatashaW; 11-22-2005 at 12:50 PM.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 PM   #11
    *luv4life*
    (female)

*luv4life* HB User

what are some other consequences of bulimia-- I've struggled with anorexia (which I think I am over now)
    I have also gotten little marks on my cheeks that look like cuts, which my friend said were broken blood vessels from all the blood rushing to your face when you purge

Closed Thread