It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Weight Gain from Depression Meds--HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
    sourgirl29

sourgirl29 HB User
    Weight Gain from Depression Meds--HELP!

I originally posted this on the Depression board, but nobody responded so I thought I would post here since it has to do with an eating disorder too.

I am in trouble. I have suffered from depression and anxiety disorders since I was a kid. When I was a teen, I got help for it. I was put on Paxil. At the age of 18, I went from weighing 110 lbs and being 5'7 to weighing 180 lbs in almost no time at all. At the time I had no idea the depression meds caused the weight gain so I developed an eating disorder. As a result of the eating disorder, I stopped therapy and consequently got off the meds. I lost the weight, but it took me a year and even though I got back to my original weight, I still felt fat because of my eating disorder and got down to under 100 lbs. before I passed out one day around some friends and was taken to a hospital. The doctors realized I had an eating disorder and sent me therapy for it. It took a little while, but I got better and managed to keep a healthy weight for many years. That is until 2 years ago when I realized my depression was worse than ever, my anxiety disorders were ruling my life and I needed medical help again because I tried to commit suicide. Well, they put me on meds again. This time Zoloft and Seroquel. At first, I noticed no weight gain. 6-months into it, the Zoloft stopped working so they switched me to Paxil CR. Well, within one month I gained 15 lbs. I FREAKED OUT! I told my therapist and she took me off the Paxil CR. I stayed on Seroquel only. But I was still gaining weight. I have gone from 135 lbs (my weight last year) to 165 lbs. and no matter what I do (the healthy way, that is) I cannot lose this weight. I read that Seroquel causes weight gain (among other things!). How could they prescribe something like this to someone who had an eating disorder??? I find myself starving myself again, constantly worried about my weight, avoiding people because I think they are all looking at my "fat". I hate myself for getting fat again. I hate myself for being depressed. BTW, even though I sound like I'm a kid, I am a woman in my 30s. For goddsake, I feel like a kid. Anyway, how can I get treatment for depression and anxiety when the meds wake up another sickness in me? I am scared to tell any health professionals because they will just medicate me some more and I have read EVERYTHING about all the meds out there and they ALL cause weight gain. I don't know what to do. Anyone else go through this? Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
    Jamie 25
    (female)

Jamie 25 HB User
    Re: Weight Gain from Depression Meds--HELP!

Hi, and Welccome to the baords.
    Im Jamie,25 years old, 10 1/2 year bulimic

I would say that you should definatly talk to a profetional about all of your concerns. You cant expect things to get better unless you are willing to try. I can understand your fear of the weight gain, but you have to be willing to give it your all and learn to control your ED. A therapist can help you with this as Im sure you already know. I would tell your T that you are fearful of weight gain while on meds and ask for him/her to work closely with you to over come this. Anything is possible. You can do it. Just remember to have faith in yourself and to never give up. of course this is all only my thoughts but I think deep down you already know what is best for you.

Good luck
    Jamie

Old 06-02-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sourgirl29
    I originally posted this on the Depression board, but nobody responded so I thought I would post here since it has to do with an eating disorder too.

I am in trouble. I have suffered from depression and anxiety disorders since I was a kid. When I was a teen, I got help for it. I was put on Paxil. At the age of 18, I went from weighing 110 lbs and being 5'7 to weighing 180 lbs in almost no time at all. At the time I had no idea the depression meds caused the weight gain so I developed an eating disorder. As a result of the eating disorder, I stopped therapy and consequently got off the meds. I lost the weight, but it took me a year and even though I got back to my original weight, I still felt fat because of my eating disorder and got down to under 100 lbs. before I passed out one day around some friends and was taken to a hospital. The doctors realized I had an eating disorder and sent me therapy for it. It took a little while, but I got better and managed to keep a healthy weight for many years. That is until 2 years ago when I realized my depression was worse than ever, my anxiety disorders were ruling my life and I needed medical help again because I tried to commit suicide. Well, they put me on meds again. This time Zoloft and Seroquel. At first, I noticed no weight gain. 6-months into it, the Zoloft stopped working so they switched me to Paxil CR. Well, within one month I gained 15 lbs. I FREAKED OUT! I told my therapist and she took me off the Paxil CR. I stayed on Seroquel only. But I was still gaining weight. I have gone from 135 lbs (my weight last year) to 165 lbs. and no matter what I do (the healthy way, that is) I cannot lose this weight. I read that Seroquel causes weight gain (among other things!). How could they prescribe something like this to someone who had an eating disorder??? I find myself starving myself again, constantly worried about my weight, avoiding people because I think they are all looking at my "fat". I hate myself for getting fat again. I hate myself for being depressed. BTW, even though I sound like I'm a kid, I am a woman in my 30s. For goddsake, I feel like a kid. Anyway, how can I get treatment for depression and anxiety when the meds wake up another sickness in me? I am scared to tell any health professionals because they will just medicate me some more and I have read EVERYTHING about all the meds out there and they ALL cause weight gain. I don't know what to do. Anyone else go through this? Any advice?
    How about something natural like St. John's Wort or 5-HTP? You can get either of these at a health food or vitamin store. No, they're not FDA approved, but I think some of the best things aren't. Side effects would certainly be lower, if you had any at all. It's worth a try. If I didn't have to be on Prozac for my anorexia, I wouldn't be, believe me. I haven't suffered any weight gain from it, but I do have hair loss that I didn't have before taking it. I know that it's from the medication because even when I'm eating good, it still falls out.

Last edited by kittywitty; 06-02-2005 at 10:12 PM.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
    coffeegirl2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sourgirl29

Hi Soulgirl....

((Hugs)) I have bipolar disorder and an eating disorder. I can relate to what you are going through in regards to the weight gain with the meds and the emotional roller coaster of the ups and downs of it all, and not knowing what to do, and how others will react towards your reaction of the weight gain. At first I hid my feelings of despair but then I couldn't take it any longer and finally opened up to my pdoc and told him that I was starting to freak out over the weight gain and it was making me start to binge, purge, or starve myself in a vicious cycle.... and it was making myself sick. And then I began to get hypomanic or depressed. What fun that was! Not! He adjusted my meds, added some new meds, and I'm doing a little better. Unfortunately, I still have not lost the weight but he recommended that I start to see a nutrionist this spring, and I did. It was the smartest thing I've ever done for myself. The nutrionist helps keep me in check with my meals, and makes me accountable for what I eat, keeping a food journal of what I eat. It was a wake up call.

Hang in there. I know it is not easy. I'm struggling too but I haven't lost my goal and I know it is obtainable.

Hugs,

coffeegirl

Old 07-26-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
    maggie043
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie043 HB User

sourgirl - they are many many different antidepressants and anti anxiety meds talk to your therapist or doctor about changing it up again and see what they say. Not all of them caouse weight gain but you need to be aware that some casue anorexia ( I know vicious cycle). I am a licensed social worker and I can think of 12 antidepressants while I am sitting here typing this. The idea of working with a dietician is great too. I have ED and Lupus - Lupus requires large doses of a steroid called prednisone which cause tremendous wgt gain so I know very well what you mean about why the heck do they give you a drug that causes weight gain when you have an ED - I have really about lost my mind these last few weeks doing that... but I have to keep trying you know?

Closed Thread