It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Brushing teeth and hunger?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
    Brushing teeth and hunger?

Okay, this is really embarrassing but here goes.....

Has anyone ever found that brushing their teeth makes them hungry? Sometimes I won't brush even though I know I need to (I know, gross )because it makes me hungry. I'm not kidding, I'll eat something and then I'll be full. But then right afterward, I brush my teeth and within 15 minutes after I'm done brushing I'm hungry again. This really bothers me, mostly at night, because I don't like to eat after a certain time, but I even have trouble with it in the morning. It seems like I've been this way for as long as I can remember, I'm 34. I'm anorexic, bulimic, and a overeater and I don't think that this teeth brushing problem helps, especially not with the anorexia, which is my main issue right now. I don't want to brush because it makes me hungry. Can anyone else relate? What do you do?

Last edited by kittywitty; 06-08-2005 at 10:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
    liza2
    Veteran

liza2 HB User
    Re: Brushing teeth and hunger?

lol i dont know if this matters but what kind of toothpaste do you use?? Sometimes really, really strong toothpaste stops the cravings. Have you tried like listerine afterwards to see if it helps? Im not sure if that would add to the problem or not but jsut a thought!

Old 06-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liza2
    lol i dont know if this matters but what kind of toothpaste do you use?? Sometimes really, really strong toothpaste stops the cravings. Have you tried like listerine afterwards to see if it helps? Im not sure if that would add to the problem or not but jsut a thought!
    I actually use kids' toothpaste (kinda silly, I know), but the adult toothpaste makes me gag, it always has even when I was a kid I think it's because of the extra fluoride in it. Sadly, I didn't get to use kid toothpaste when I was little. I have tried mouthwash but it's too strong and therefore, makes me gag. As you can probably tell, I do have a gagging sensitivity. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I didn't expect a response from someone this late at night.

Last edited by kittywitty; 06-08-2005 at 11:34 PM.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:23 AM   #4
    SammyT
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SammyT HB User

i have never thought of that...well i have a suggestion. everytime after i brush my teeth and always stick in 2 peices of mint gum in my mouth. always, not for ED purposes. but just for fresh breath, so maybe if u chew gum afterwards, ur mind will be taken away from the hunger?

i dunno, i hope i helped tho!

Closed Thread