It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• To all Bulimics...how long have you been sick?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
    NatashaW
    Inactive
    (female)

NatashaW HB User
    To all Bulimics...how long have you been sick?

I was just wondering how long everyone with bulimia has been sick with it? (if you care to discuss it). I think I may be one of the "longest" bulimics on here...going on 9 years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
    maggietuder
    Inactive
    (female)

maggietuder HB User
    Re: To all Bulimics...how long have you been sick?

I have been bulimic for 11 years.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
    NatashaW
    Inactive
    (female)

NatashaW HB User

Hi maggie...I am not at all "happy" to hear that you have been bulimic for 11 years...I am very very sorry..but It is kind of comforting to hear that I'm not the only "long term bulimic."

Has anything ever helped you with your bulimia? I haven't found anything that has helped. I am starting to get very very worried about the long term effects of bulmia...like, I keep thinking I will die of a heart attack, if not now than prematurely at age 35 or something.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
    maggietuder
    Inactive
    (female)

maggietuder HB User

I have gone years and mths with out 'being sick'. So I have stopped for long periods of time. But food, weight loss, and the thought of throwing up, has been on my mind every day for 11 years. This last year(12 mths) Ive made my sick at least once a week. I just told my husband 5 days ago about my prob and was told i'm supposed to be finding help bye my self. Its just hard.

About long term effects. Thats tricky for me. Half of my brain is telling me i have done it of and on, like i said ive stopped for long periods of time. So i think nothing will bad will happen. So I just blow it off. The other side of my brain tells me Well duh you are harming your self and WILL die if it continues. I have never gotten help. I will though. Like I said its only been 5 days since i have asked for help.

I am too happy to know you and others are going threw the same thing. Ok so i'm not happy about it at all but you know what I mean.
    I hope you continue to get help untill help works for you.

Last edited by maggietuder; 07-13-2005 at 04:58 PM.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
    Jonistyle1
    Inactive

Jonistyle1 HB User

my heart goes out to you both. i don't know what i am really. i think i was anorexic (but not super horribly, but still bad) then into some serious binge eating which i never threw up after (i can't make myself do it) but i used to exercise and eat VERY little the next day, so i think it still qualifies as some form of bulimia. now i just binge without much ryhme or reason, but i force myself to eat "normal" (1200 calories) the next day. IT SUCKS. i just went into the therapist for the first time yesterday, and i'm SO excited to start getting help.

anyway, what i meant to say is that i've been dealing with this total problem for a little over two years, and this binge, etc. problem for about 9 months. it's so hard and it has completely dominated and ruined my life. i feel for both of you. you WILL get better someday, and you are each VERY strong for getting through so many years in ED hell.

best of luck.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:23 AM   #6
    cricket_22
    (female)

cricket_22 HB User

it's around 7 years for me....and i'm still on square one. I am more educated and aware in regards to my disorder. i know why i do it and what triggers me, but I dont stop myself, and physically, I am worse now than I have ever been...sigh

Old 07-15-2005, 02:51 AM   #7
    Ashlee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ashlee HB User

Coming up six years now, but was doing really well for a couple of years. This years been pretty bad, but I'm more anorexic than bulimic. In the end, we're all in the same boat I guess. I wouldn't personally want anyone to even have to go through a month of this.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
    mspence
    (male)

mspence HB User

Hi fellow E.D.'r-Guess I'm An unusual case. I'm a 48 yr.male. Bulimic 15 yrs. It's driving me crazy but can't stop. also recovering Alcoholic w/major depression & P.T.S.D.

Old 07-15-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
    Becky2000
    Inactive
    (female)

Becky2000 HB User

Hmmm.... It started with binge eating when I was about 15, then turned into bulimia (throwing up and excessive exercise), so I guess my time is in the 13-14 year range. Wow- I never really thought about it like that. That makes it all the more "real". My bulimia has been very under control for the past 6 months or so, but I do slip up every once in a while.... like 15 minutes ago, for example... I am supposed to go away hiking and camping for the weekend with 3 girls who are best friends... I guess I am feeling nervous about that. I dont know if its going to go well or not- what if we get out there and these girls exclude me?-wouldnt be the first time thats happened. I'm scared not having enyone there to lean on if they exclude me. Anyways... waaaaay off topic.

ED's are a incredibly hard thing to beat (I am Mrs. Obvious)... its not surprising that everyone who has responded to your question, and yourself, has been dealing with it for some time.... I dont think you ever actually "recover"- I think you just learn to control it.

Take care of yourselves!!!!!
    Becky

Old 07-15-2005, 08:07 PM   #10
    Jamie 25
    (female)

Jamie 25 HB User

feb 18th was 10 years for me

Old 07-16-2005, 12:16 AM   #11
    pageaday
    (female)

pageaday HB User

This tread caught my eye and although I have'nt had an eating disorder for years I just thought I'd share my experience. It feels a bit strange thinking of myself as bulimic now because it's been 13 years since I practiced it. I was anorexic as teenager and could'nt handle the starvation in my 20's so turned to bulimia. I remained bulimic for almost 13 years. I did'nt recieve treatment, although at the time I don't think it was as recognized as it is today. What 'cured' me was that I just got absolutely scared of dying from a heart attack and the image of being found slumped over with my head down the toilet, terrified me. I found I could no longer make myself sick because of my fear. The strange thing is that while I spent all those years battling with food and my appetite once, I stopped being bulimic I have never had a weight problem since and my weight has remained steady.
    I wish you all well, I know what a hell it can be.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:53 AM   #12
    SammyT
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SammyT HB User

2 years for me..almost 3. Boo...im so sorry to all of u who have been bulimic for over 10 years and longer than me...thats crazy...i shure hope u all get better soon

Old 07-17-2005, 08:18 PM   #13
    nicolemaree
    (female)

nicolemaree HB User

I have been bulimic for over 10 years... I am in recovery for the 3rd time... Hopefully the last time....
    Nicole

Old 07-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #14
    what is truth
    (female)

what is truth HB User

2years - pitiful compared to everyone else erally!

xx

if you're dead?

Old 07-17-2005, 11:11 PM   #15
    Ashlee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ashlee HB User

There's nothing pitiful about it.... I for one haven't exactly enjoyed the past six years, and six years isn't even a lot compared to some poor people.

Closed Thread