It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• How Can I Become Un-addicted To Fast Food?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
    nicolettie
    (female)

nicolettie HB User
    Question How Can I Become Un-addicted To Fast Food?

Okay its like this i never cook i go out a spend money on fast food therefore im fat. I Weigh 202 lbs exactly. I tried stop eating eat but my mouth waters i wont eat anything i just cant stop myself the longer i wait the more i want it. I used to be addicted to drugs kinda like that. is it really an addiction and how can i quit it? Have you ever seen super-size me? do you know what im taking about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
    MonkeyFights
    (male)

MonkeyFights HB User
    Re: How Can I Become Un-addicted To Fast Food?

hey - im actually just coming out of the same situation myself, so maybe my story will help.

6 weeks ago, I was drinking bottles of coke every day and having a 190g bag of twisties to myself on top of all my normal meals which were normally takeaway or salted n buttered up versions of what my family was eating. Ive had trouble with drugs before and I have tried to stop myself from eating so badly, but its hard. I felt like, the next day when i would try and stop, that there was no point stopping now because i had done it the day before, and weeks before that, and months before that. So i would gorge myself and feel better for those few moments when my mouth was full of cheezy snacks.

Now I am moving out of the family home in a few weeks and i am making all these massive life changes and have felt like i dont need that stuff anymore. It wasnt even a conscious decision, i just started drinking water and eating fruit and good meals 3 times a day. Also, ive felt inspired through this to start exercising as well...

Pretty much my advise is, if you are in a rut, a cycle of bad eating habits, then I think you need to shake things up a bit, start the next chapter of your life without the bad habits... its working for me.

hope this helps a little.
    Peace.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
    maggie043
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie043 HB User

yes I saw that documentary SUperSIze Me and it totally freaked me out I was literally drying heaving just watching it. Now if my youngest girl wants french fries I can barely stand to take her for them I thinking our eating habits can become "addictions" of sorts. We get "addicted" to restricting and will only allow certain foods, or get addicted to the "high" from throwing up so it would make snese that the routine of eating fast food, salt, grease etc could become an addiction as well.....

Old 07-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #4
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

First of all, I have to say the Supersize Me, while interesting and almost funny to watch, is quite useless in terms of 'proving' that fast food is completely horrible for you. We all know that an apple is more healthy than french fries. We all know that eating too much causes weight gain. So why are people freaking out because a guy decided to eat not very nutritious food, in excessive amounts, causing him to gain MAJOR weight and therefore become unhealthy? I mean, if the guy ate 5000 Calories of anything, for 30 days straight, he would also gain like 1 lb/day. Given that the recommended amt to gain/lose weight per WEEK is like 3 lbs max, gaining almost 7 lbs a week definately is not healthy, and wreaks havoc on your system (regardless of the food you ate to get there). While it was interesting watching him force feed himself double his normal daily intake, it wasn't anything completely eye opening in terms of the nutrients in fast food and 'discovering' that eating 5000 Calories worth per day will cause you to gain weight.

I can see why people have abandoned McDonalds and fast food from this movie. However I have to say that in moderate amounts, even a Big Mac and fries, no matter how 'un-nutritious' it is, won't kill you. Maggie, while you may choose not to have fries, let your kids indulge once in a while...it's not like they're eating it 3x per day for every meal, every day!

As far as 'limiting' fast food intake, it's basically a learned process. It's easy and yummy to rely on other ppl to make cheap, yummy food for us that gets to our stomachs fast. If you look at WHY you get the fast food, you can slowly experiment with ways to 'solve' these demands. For example, you (just a person in general) may say that it's quick and convenient. There are several ways to solve this:

- look up recipes that can be prep. in 30 min or less, with simple instructions or few ingredients. Magazines (or their websites) that are geared towards women and cooking/living/etc usually have some good ideas, like Kraft Cooking magazine for example

- spend one day, like a Sunday, cooking, chopping or preparing a big batch of something like soup, chili, meatloaf, chicken breasts, rice, veggies, etc...then portion size it into freezer bags, and freeze them with names and dates. Easy and quick microwavable meals for weeknights!

- if you can't give up the FOOD you crave, like burgers for example, look into making them at home. There are many frozen burger varieties, and most likely you could find a lower fat version or something like that. Add some buns, veggies and toppings and you've got yourself a burger! For sides, there ARE oven cooked frozen fries, but making your own is always better...you could chop a whole bunch of potatoes and freeze them, as mentioned above, and then cook portions seperately (or you could cook them all and then freeze them, and reheat them up).

- If you MUST go out, you can try to choose the lighter fare..salads fill you up quickly, and if you get a grilled chicken breast or something on top, you've got yourself a meal. Choose diet pops where possible, and ask for lots of veggies toppings in place of extra mayo or cheese..

- Also, for the time being, consider getting the kids meal version of your fav foods..it's smaller portions and therefore less calories.. tons of chains are now adding fresh foods like salads, veggie burgers, fajitas, low fat foods, etc to their menu..and they aren't half bad at all! Consider getting those..

Fast foods aren't bad if you watch your calorie count for the day. The problem is most fast food combos don't fill you up like 800 Cals worth of fruit would. If you use nutrition calculators on the websites of the chains (like Mcdonald's) to calculate the value of your meal (in calories), you can use that to determine what you are eating for the rest of the day. If you aim not to go over 2000 Calories/day, that's a good start. You will probably find that the meals take up most of your calories for the day (like half, roughly)...meaning that the rest of your day is going to have to be fairly light, so lots of veggies and fruits are a good idea.

Remember this is just a start,..obviously its not optimal to continue eating food like that and jsut compensating to make it fit in. But it's also really hard to go cold turkey (although for some it works better). If you start by slowly substituting some meals for home cooked ones, or even just salads are the fast food place, that's a start..

Old 07-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
    nicolettie
    (female)

nicolettie HB User

girlygirl11 im not talking about the weight gain im talking about the addiction.

Old 07-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
    maggie043
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie043 HB User

nicolettie maybe you need how to figure out to cnut back a little at a time? You know if you would say eat fast food 4 times per day try and go down to 3. It may be too hard to cold turkey it just like everyone else with their addictions. I know with my therapist and dietician they have been very careful to not have me eat 2000 caloreis after eating 400 calories - I am up to 930 calories which for me is a huge deal, it has taken time and has not been easy still isn't but I have been able to add food back into my life a little at a time - hope this is helpful...

Old 07-25-2005, 06:24 AM   #7
    sumi
    Inactive
    (female)

sumi HB User

I think girlygirl did a great job with giving you options on how to overcome that addiction. Just remember everyone is different. Some people quit smoking cold turkey and it works great for them and others slowly but surely reduce the emount they smoke until they no longer feel the urge.
    For you it may take completely avoiding fast food. Your taste buds and your brain will completely stop craving a certain food if you do not consume it for three weeks. It's a proven fact. I used to make my class try it as an experiment. Everyone would choose one item and not eat it for three weeks and sure enough they didn't crave it. It's not easy but it's worth it. Bad eating habits catch up with you eventually in many ways, starting from obesety to high blood pressure. You can change and there are many ways you can do so. If you need help perhaps some research on healthy eating will help. Learn how to prepare meals and design a weeks menu beforehand so when you are hungry you always have food available. People say it's expensive to eat healthy but in reality it's not. Learn where there is a farmers market in your area and start going. I go every Saturday and buy fresh fruit and veggies for the week. It saves me money and I have healthy options on hand.
    If you need a more regimented approach perhaps Weight Watchers can help.
    I truly wish you the best and hope you make this life change a positive one.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:55 PM   #8
    NatashaW
    Inactive
    (female)

NatashaW HB User

I heard on TV that the fast food people actually put something in the food that MAKES people addicted to it. No kidding, and they Do not list it in the list of ingredients. There has to be a reason why people are so hooked on it, and that's why. Fast food is sooo addicting to me. I think grease and carbs are addicting.

Have you tried maybe cooking variations of fast food at home? like cooking fried in the over without oil, ect.

If you are truely addicted to it then I would imagine the only way to recover is to completely avoid it.

Last edited by NatashaW; 07-25-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Old 07-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

My suggestions pertain to overcoming your addiction as well as losing weight..it works either way. I mentioned the calories and such so that you can slowly regain consiousness about a normal, healthy diet- and once you do that, and you start eating like that, you will find that you crave fruits and veggies and not french fries. It may SEEM like the options are about losing weight, but they also are a way to slowly wean yourself off of fast food without completely avoiding it (often leading to binges of sorts). Read carefully and see if any of them appeal to you.. I addressed many different reasons as to why you are addicted and why its easy to turn to fast food (ie/ it's convenient, it's easy for you, it's quick, it's yummy..etc), and then suggested alternatives according the the justification you give for relying on fast food (so that next time you say 'i think i'll have Mcdonald's because it's quick and yummy", then there are options to help you NOT have it, or only have a little bit so that you can eat healthier for the most part.)

Old 07-27-2005, 02:08 AM   #10
    nicolettie
    (female)

nicolettie HB User
    Exclamation Re: How Can I Become Un-addicted To Fast Food?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NatashaW
    I heard on TV that the fast food people actually put something in the food that MAKES people addicted to it. No kidding, and they Do not list it in the list of ingredients. There has to be a reason why people are so hooked on it, and that's why. Fast food is sooo addicting to me. I think grease and carbs are addicting.

Have you tried maybe cooking variations of fast food at home? like cooking fried in the over without oil, ect.

If you are truely addicted to it then I would imagine the only way to recover is to completely avoid it.
    I swear I used to be addicted to meth. AND QUITTING THAT WAS MUCH EASIER FOR ME PERIOD!

Old 07-27-2005, 02:12 AM   #11
    nicolettie
    (female)

nicolettie HB User
    Exclamation Re: How Can I Become Un-addicted To Fast Food?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sumi
    Your taste buds and your brain will completely stop craving a certain food if you do not consume it for three weeks. It's a proven fact.
    Okay there was a time when i wwas really fat and then started doing Meth. Pretty much everyday. During this time I went for fast food for long periods of time. For example. A month, and when I ran out of drugs. I slept in and when i woke up 24 hours later what was i craving? Fast food. So I don't think the three week thing work for three fast food addict.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #12
    onigiri
    (female)

onigiri HB User

did you ever try keeping little cash around so you can't buy fast food?
    maybe try trying new foods so you can substitute it for your fast food.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:13 AM   #13
    Skigomaniac
    (male)

Skigomaniac HB User

I used to eat fast food twice a day, I was feeling like compelte $hit all the time. I lifted weights for 9 months on this diet and gained 1 pound. About 3 months ago I quit cold turkey. I havnt eaten fast food since (except a chicken salad at mcdonalds on the 3rd of July. I crave the fries all the time(prolly always will hah). But anyway I stopped eating processed foods, I make my own bread, I dont even leave the produce section of my grocery store. I feel 100x better. This is something you need to do for yourself you will thank yourself later. I cook all my own meals I don't even eat at restraunts. I just started lifting again less than two months ago since I figured I could pack on muscle with a healthy diet. Sure enough I've been trying to gain weight for years and now that I eat real food I can, I've gained 10 pounds this summer I'm up to 163lbs! My blood pressure is down my cholesterol is down to 130 total, I just feel better in general. You need to do this for yourself. Theres nothing anyone can say to "Squash" your addiction. You have to want it, If you care about your health and yourself in general this should be the easy part. Just picture yourself getting into great shape, make a total life overhaul, start eating right and excerising you'll see results fast and it will keep you motivated. Your body lets you know when you are treating it right.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:01 AM   #14
    CARAT414
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CARAT414 HB User

Some people, not all though, believe that for some people an addiction to anything whether it is cigarettes, alcohol, food or drugs is a need to have some feeling of control. That the life that person is leading is not what they believed it was suppose to be, or what they want it to be. The option may not be available at the moment to change anything about the other situations but the brain finds some thing that it can control. Maybe in your case nicolletie this is true. You said that you were addicted to meth, and now it is fast food. Did you stop your addiction from meth alone, cold turkey or did you have help with a therapist or councelor? If you have someone that you can talk to maybe see if they can help you, when you think you are going to grab the keys and head to the nearest fast food joint, maybe calling her/him and going there for a snack instead and some conversation until the need/want passes. Its always good to be able to express yourself and the way you feel.

I think that the post on the different methods of changing your eating habits is a good tool to at least print out and think about. Put it on the front door, on the mirror in the bathroom or in your car so when you are waiting in the drive up window line you can look at it. Maybe it will at least give you some inspiration to try something a little different, just for that meal or that day. It surely cant hurt. Also even if you never use any of the suggestions that were given, it will at least remind you that someone else cared enough about you to think of all those suggestions and type them out for you to read all without ever meeting you.

You are on the right path by admitting you have a problem, now you just need to take the first step down the path to dealing with it.

I wish you well and good luck,
    C

Closed Thread