It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Eating in public, does it scare you?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
    aleash
    (female)

aleash HB User
    Eating in public, does it scare you?

Ok this is a random question but I thought I would just ask it. Is it just me or as anyone else afraid to eat in public?? Latley I have been feeling really afraid/embaressed to eat infront of others. Like at lunch at my work, I don't want to be seen eating or buying food at the lunch room. I don't want others to look at me and think "why is that girl eating that, she doesn't need that". Usually I only eat apiece of furit, a diet coke, and either a salad (well letuce and fat free dressing) or a lean cuisne. So logically I think "well thats really not that much food so why should I be afraid to eat it infront of others, and who gives a s*** what others think, right?" But a part of me is still super self consicous of eating in front of others.
    Even when I'm back at college I hate going out to the local college places to eat with friends. I am either emberessed of eating the food infront of them, or embaressed of not eating because I don't want them to think I have a problem (even though some already do). Well anyways that's really all I was wondering not really looking for advice, just wondering if anyone ever feels like this?
    thanks,
    Leash

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
    sheldon_sick

sheldon_sick HB User
    Re: Eating in public, does it scare you?

aleash, i know u were a gymnaist and as per what u are writing is a diet of an anorexic. please don't worry and eat health just dont dear if eating in public i am like that but getting out of fear.
    even when i go out doing grocery i am like thinking people are seeing my basket full of soups they might think something but i know people are involved in their lives but still that thought always pinches me that people are watching u so watch out wat u buy and i always land up buying stupid stuff u eat and puke like chips and all that stuff coz majority of people are buying that.jsut to blend with society and make others feel i am normal i buy all crap but they don't know what is going behind those closed doors of the washroom and the running tap. it is someone who is puking out the junk i was not willing to buy, and i thinkthis way i have wasted almost $7000 - 10, 000 dollars in two year only on food.
    i hate myself and feel guilty as this is my parents money not mine. i feel guilty that i can spend more time on studies the same time i spend on puking in the bathroom.
    so i suggest u please don't worry wat u eat in public just eat wat u want to else u will land up in my situation and u don't want that...please please please

Old 08-04-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
    Bjork

Bjork HB User

I am the same way. I can't eat at work. Ever. It's been kinda embarrassing at times because we'll have "employee appreciation day" or something of the like and my supervisor will *force* me into the lunchroom with 20 something people and I sit there, eating nothing, looking awkward. People ask me if I'm going to get something and I politely tell them "no, thank you" or make up some dumb excuse. This job is only 9-3 so I only miss lunch and snacks (I have a mealplan laid out by my dietitian), but I'm supposed to be "recovering", and if my parents knew this was going on, they'd be furious. I feel foolish for doing it too, because I'm 28 years old and I still live with my parents (I've been really sick for the past 5 years and in hospitals). I should be moving out by now, but I'm "sick".

Bjork

Old 08-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #4
    sumi
    Inactive
    (female)

sumi HB User

Gosh, sad to say I am the same way! I too am 28 years old and at work I eat very quietly in my office so nobody hears me. If my boss comes in I just wanna die! That's why I always eat a sandwich at work cause anything else makes too much noise.I also hate the days we have company lunches and order in. I always make sure I have the menu before hand so I can go online and find out what has the lowest calories and lowest fat. Also if we have an unexpected meeting I always have to excuse myself and go to the bathroom and quickly eat a granola bar cause my stomach will start to make horribly loud noises.
    Its sad that we can't just eat like everyone else. I mean everyone eats right?

Old 08-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
    troubled_teen12
    (female)

troubled_teen12 HB User

I don't eat in public either unless I'm forced to by my parents... I hate eating in general, but I feel so embarassed to eat in ront of others. Or when people offer to buy me lunch or dinner I say no immediately, or if they offer me some of their food, or some of their snacks or candy, i always say no..*sighs*. I know how you feel.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
    maggie043
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie043 HB User

I don't eat in public either - it is too hard b/c of my ED habits, we do eat kind of weirdly you know??? There was another social worker I used to work with that I could eat with but no one else. I feel very self conscious because it takes me forever to eat a small fat free yogurt ot I'll have a veggie sandwich and end up picking it apart and eating little bits here and there - I don't eat because I am embarrassed about how I eat

Old 08-05-2005, 03:54 AM   #7
    Bubble Toes
    (female)

Bubble Toes HB User

I dont like eating anything junk food or fatty around people because I feel like they will suspect my ED. I'm always paranoid like if i'm eating french fries or something that the person I"m eating with get suspicious thinking like, "she eats anything she wants and is still that thin, hmmm"(cue for wheels to start turning)
    I feel like if anyone were to figure me out, it would be when i order a burger at dinner instead of a salad with nonfat dressing. People just think I'm a health nut so thats why i'm thin, and I guess thats the mask I'm wearin to hide it all.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
    Tina maria
    (female)

Tina maria HB User

hi people, i have felt like this since i left school, that was roughly 11 years ago, i alway use to feel paranoid sittimg at my school table eating my lunch, always thinking pepole were watching me. i would sit there covering my mouth while i ate. i still do now. then i started going home for lunch.
    I dont eat very much really. ill only have breakfast,lunch and dinner. which is all healthly, but i still feel bad about eating it.
    I really hate it when i eat out at resturants, that makes me nervie.

but just reading your board made me think that i use to do it, and still do. do you think this is were my problem could of started?

Old 08-06-2005, 08:30 AM   #9
    tired and angry
    (female)

tired and angry HB User

Omg! Im totally like that bout eating infront of people. I always say no when people offer me food but then often find myself binging as soon as i am on my own again. Recently I got a job behind a bar in a restaurant and if i work at lunch i also have to make the sweets and serve the food too. Its a nighmare and then the chef always offers to make lunch for us. Actually, luckily she has stopped asking me now coz i always say no thanks but its so stupid. Everyone thinks i dont eat enough or at work they think im just obsessively healthy or sth but if they knew the truth.... I nearly always end up binging after my shift. The shift makes me really tired and i wanna eat but there is this argument going on in my head as another voice say, "No Suzanne uv eaten too much today already and u kno mum is gonna make u eat dinner b4 ur nxt shift so just hang on a couple more hours and eat with the family so they stop being so suspiicious." But often I give in coz im too weak and i eat and eat and eat until my stomach hurst and then i throw up and exercise and thats my whole break between shifts gone. I am annoyed at myself coz i sould b gettin some uni work done then. Then i really really dont wanna eat aain but my mum has cooked so i eat as little as i can get away with then throw up again.

At uni i hate eating infront of other people too. As soon as anyone comments that im eating more than usual or less than usual it makes me want to stop eating all together. Does anyone else feel that way?? I thought it was just because my close friends know bout my ed that i hated eating around them but then at the end of term i was with a whole bunch of people i didnt know v well helping on this scheme for school kids and it was even harder to eat with them.

And yeah, shopping is a nightmare. I totally feel as though people will judge what i buy even though deep down i kno thats nonsense coz the world does not revolve around me!!!

Anyway, sorry for the long post but thanks for starting this thread coz i really needed to get that off my chest!

Lots of love
    Suzanne
    xx

Old 08-06-2005, 09:32 AM   #10
    liza2
    Veteran

liza2 HB User

I used to NEVER eat in front of people, but now i actually make myself! If i dont eat with someone, i almost always end up bingeing now so i try to always have someone with me. Its hard but i know what will happen if i dont and the feeling is MUCH MUCH worse. I am leaving for a uni in a week so i am trying to get rid of the fear all together (easier said then done) I also want to try and find a therapist where my college is so hopefully that will help too. But maggie is right, we do eat funny. One time, it took me a month to finally be able to go out to eat with this guy i liked. It was the worst experience of my life because the WHOLE time he had to make little comments about what i was eating, how i was eating it, and why i was eating like that. The evening pretty much ended with a huge argument and it was completely humiliating. It took me a while to get past, but now that i have its alot better being able to go out and have a nice dinner with my family or friends.

Closed Thread