It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• laxative abuse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
    terrible_static
    (female)

terrible_static HB User
    laxative abuse

Has anyone weened themselves off laxatives ? What happens? I've been taking LOTS of stimulant laxatives for over a year and I know I need to stop to regain my life. It causes heart problems, deyhdration and many other problems. But I don't know how to stop...has anyone? And how did you do it...did you take any mediction to help ease bloating. ANY IDEAS, Information...help would save my life. Thanks!
    T

The Following User Says Thank You to terrible_static For This Useful Post:
    sonam21 (09-16-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
    maggie043
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie043 HB User
    Re: laxative abuse

dumb question but do you have a family doc? I have heard you have to be really ,really careful trying to solve all the problems that you have caused by abusing laxatives, it can do some pretty bad things to you colon etc.... maybe that would be the safest route.....

Old 09-20-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
    terrible_static
    (female)

terrible_static HB User

I do have a doctor...she told me to just stop taking them and see what happens...that isn't working well for me. I just wondered if anyone has gone through anything similar?

Old 09-20-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
    maggie043
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie043 HB User

I did and it was really hard to go to the bathroom like regular folks for sometime. My doctor was really helpful, it was some years ago (about 10) I don't really remember what we did but Im sure someone here can help you!

Old 09-26-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
    Geenah

Geenah HB User

Hi~
    It has been sometime since I quit. Although the nightmare of the abuse still is fresh in my mind. GOOD FOR YOU for quiting. I too had the HARDEST time. But I beat them. And you will too!! The bloating was REALLY bad the first couple of weeks, but your body WILL re-adjust. I found it helpful to drink the fiber drink Citrucel or Metamucil. These are not addictive-(they gave them to me in the hospital too...) It really doesn't do any good to ween off them...your body has become used to a certain amount and taking less will only confuse matters. Drinking the fiber and PLENTY of water, eating veggies and exercise will all keep things moving. I still have problems from the abuse, but it is so nice to be free of them!
    The bloating WILL GO AWAY!!! Hang in there! The body is an amazing thing! It will bounce back! (At times I thought I would loose my mind thinking the bloating would not go away.....but it did.) Laxatives are POSION to our bodies....Just think of it like that.
    Hope this helps.
    Take Care.
    G

Old 10-03-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User

I weaned myself off of laxatives. Of course, I have IBS that was caused by the laxative abuse. It was very hard because it's like my body was craving them. But it can be done.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
    terrible_static
    (female)

terrible_static HB User

how did you do it?

Old 10-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User

The laxatives started making me sick. I would take them and then wake up cramped and sick as a dog. So, I had to make the decision to stop taking them. Eventually it's going to catch up with you and take a toll on your body. It's hard enough having a mental illness let alone having physical problems to go along with it. I'm also diabetic (type 2) so the laxative abuse wasn't helping that either. It took me getting sick in order to realize that I had to make some changes. It was a hard decision but it had to be done. Now, I'm not going to lie to you, there are still times when I want to just take a whole handful of laxatives. It's almost as if it's an addiction because you're body becomes so dependent on them and your mind as well becomes dependent on it because you feel a release from taking them and the effect that they have. So, it's not just a physical challenge but a mental challenge as well trying to stop abusing laxatives. It takes some time, therapy, and a lot of hard work but it can be done.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
    TiffanyAnn
    Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User

I abused laxatives for years. I now suffer from iritable bowel syndrome. I stopped using laxatives several years ago but have never been able to get what most people call regular. What I have found that works for me is taking stool softeners every day. Make sure not to get the ones with laxative in them, just plain stool softeners. I have found that taking them every day has made it so I can at least go now. When you first stop it is the hardest but whatever you do don't give in and start using them again because it just gets harder and harder. Good luck.
    Tiffany

Old 10-12-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
    terrible_static
    (female)

terrible_static HB User

Thanks for all the motivation and helpful advice...can anyone tell me how many they used to take a day. I just want to know that there is hope for someone who has abused so many like me. Thanks for any help offered.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #11
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User

It always starts with just a few then eventually builds up. I was taking anywhere from 15 to 20 a day. I remember watching Oprah one day and they were talking about ed's in women over the age of 21 and there was a lady on that was taking anywhere from 25 to 30 a day.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:32 PM   #12
    NatashaW
    Inactive
    (female)

NatashaW HB User

THere is a good book called "The Monster Within" (I believe that's the correct title) about a woman's struggle with bulimia and extreme laxative abuse. You might want to check it out.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #13
    terrible_static
    (female)

terrible_static HB User

Thanks I tried looking for that book but I couldn't find it. I just don't know how to get off the laxatives...it's driving me crazy! But knowing others have done it is helpful!

Old 10-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #14
    NatashaW
    Inactive
    (female)

NatashaW HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by terrible_static
    Thanks I tried looking for that book but I couldn't find it. I just don't know how to get off the laxatives...it's driving me crazy! But knowing others have done it is helpful!
    "THe monster within" by Cynthia Rowland.

Hope that helps.

p.s. they have it on ******

Last edited by NatashaW; 10-19-2005 at 03:14 PM.

Old 10-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #15
    hairy_gurl
    (female)

hairy_gurl HB User

I started eating high-fiber cereals (all-bran) followed by a hot drink - and that helps. Try also eating lots of vegetables and fruit + drink lots of water (incl. hot water)

Closed Thread