It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Anyone on Lamictal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
    yules
    (female)

yules HB User
    Anyone on Lamictal?

I started Zoloft about 2 months ago and when I raised to 75mg. I began to sort of feel blah. No motivation very irritable and angry. It has really helped my anxiety but maybe too much. It has also helped my OCD. But it has not touched my binge eating. I still am completely focused on food 24/7 totally obsessed. I also feel big or bloated or something. I am a scale addict and my pd has me only weighing in 2 times a week. I am only comfortable at 103.5 no more no less. (Don't ask, it's all part of my ed.) Anyway to make a long story short. my pd now wants to add Lamictal. Anyone taking this? I am so fearful of weight gain and right now I feel like the Zoloft maybe causing me to gain. Although the last time I weighed I was still the same but I can't weigh again until wed. and I feel up a little.

Has anybody lost or gained with lamictal? how do you feel on it? Do you take it with anything else? I would love to hear from anybody who has experience with Lamictal good or bad!

Thanks for taking the time any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
    Natalie00
    Inactive
    (female)

Natalie00 HB User
    Re: Anyone on Lamictal?

I took it in the past and it did nothing for me. No real side effects, but no improvement. I don't know why my psychiatrist kept me on it when I did not respond. I was on it for a year and half. Here is the REAL info about lamictal:

Lamotrigine (marketed as Lamictal by GlaxoSmithKline) is an anticonvulsant drug used in the treatment of epilepsy and bipolar disorder. For epilepsy it is used to treat partial seizures, primary and secondary tonic-clonic seizures, and seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Lamotrigine also acts as a mood stabilizer. It is the only anticonvulsant mood stabilizer that treats the depressive as well as the manic phases of bipolar disorders, and it is the first medication since Lithium granted FDA-approval for the maintenance treatment of bipolar I. Chemically unrelated to other anticonvulsants, lamotrigine has relatively few side-effects and does not require blood monitoring. It is a Na+ channel blocker, and is inactivated by hepatic glucuronidation.

Side Effects
    Common side effects include headaches, dizziness and insomnia. In very rare cases, Lamotrigine has been known to cause the development of a dangerous rash in some people called Stevens-Johnson syndrome. The rash is more common in children, so this medication is often reserved for adults. There is also an increased incidence of this rash in patients who are currently on, or recently discontinued a valproates anti-convulsant drug, as these medications interact in such a way that the clearance of both is decreased and the effective dose of lamotrigine is increased.

It has not been known to cause weight gain or loss.

Closed Thread