It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Bulimia and infertility

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
    aleciav
    (female)

aleciav HB User
    Bulimia and infertility

Hello,
    I am 29 and was bulimic for about 12 years and have not been practicing for about 2 years now. It was a long and difficult road but I feel so much better after getting out of the eating disorder trap.
    My question is - has anyone had trouble with infertility or miscarriages? My dr. did a bunch of blood tests on me and thought that my eating disorder had played a role in my miscarriages. I am not underweight but I do exercise about 5 days a week and my period is sporadic. I just don't know what is normal for my body at this moment.
    Just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences after recovery.
    Alecia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
    sumi
    Inactive
    (female)

sumi HB User
    Re: Bulimia and infertility

aleciav - I too am 29 and have gone through various bouts with my Ed. I was bulimic for about 3 years and then anorexic and then started to exercise 3 hours a day 7 days a week. I got married about two years ago and wanted kids right away. Like you I had very abnormal periods. When I first stopped taking the pill I never got a regular period for an entire year. Then after I got married my DH and I started trying but I always thought that we could never get pregnant cause of my ED. Around the time I actually got pregnant I was restricting like crazy. For some unknown reason which to this day still baffles me I got pregnant the second month of trying. So I don't think there is a correlation between the two.
    Good luck and let us know how you make out

Old 07-31-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
    aleciav
    (female)

aleciav HB User

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to think in my mind that I couldn't have caused my infertility through my ED - but my dr. put that thought in my mind. I'm glad to hear that other people have had success in getting pregnant after an ED. I feel there is hope

Old 07-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #4
    finallyready
    (female)

finallyready HB User

usam...what a releif to hear. My boyfriend & I getting married in October and want to have babies right away and I have been so worried that my past actions will affect me being able to get pregnant. This post couldn't have come at a better time....just Saturday I was crying thinking that my selfish behaviour was going to ruin my chances and that I would be punished for it by never being able to have kids. My boyfriend of course said all the right things it wasn't selifish it's a disease and you won't be punished but I have been so worried about it.

Last edited by finallyready; 07-31-2006 at 10:38 AM.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
    sumi
    Inactive
    (female)

sumi HB User

I'm glad you felt better. Your emotions are very natural as I went through the exact same thing. For years I would sit and cry that I have ruined my chances of having a family and 10.5 months ago I was blessed with the best thing that ever happened to me, my angel little girl. Children are such a joy, I look into her eyes and see the world. She is full of life and ready to explore, I adore her! She is the only reason I want to get better, when I go through rough patches with my ED the only thing that gets me through is my darling. I wish you luck and don't worry.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:26 AM   #6
    ngolden
    (female)

ngolden HB User

I am sitting here struggling with the same thing. I was (I guess anorexic/bulimic for almost a year). After I had my son I dropped to almost 30 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight (I used to weigh 135-140 but dropped to 110). I am not sure exactly how my ED would be classified. I didn't eat much when I was losing the weight (though I never got down to an "anorexic" weight) as I wasn't really hungry but when I got down that low I started purging 2x/week to keep it off. My periods have become less and less regular and now I don't have them at all. I have gained 5 pounds and have been 19 days purge-free but still nothing. I am trying to get pregnant again and am so scared I ruined my chances with the ED.

I have read though that bulimics, when recovered, generally don't have lasting fertility issues so that is good news. I'm sitting here just waiting for my periods to come back (if they ever come back).

How sporadic were your periods (those of you who posted that and have since conceived)?

Closed Thread