It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• headaches and ED's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2001, 09:53 AM   #1
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Question headaches and ED's

Hi everyone,
    Lately I've been back in the weight loss mode due to the stress of work, study and my demanding husband. I have been wary of sliding back into my ED. Even with healthy main meals, not too much running and eating every three hours I've been getting daily headaches. I do suffer from the occasional migrane and some headaches, yet last time my weight dropped I had the same headaches till I regained it back. I also had these headaches when I was bulimic. Does anyone think you body starts behaving this way when you get a bit underweight? Has anyone had these headaches with their ED? I would like to stay this lean (ED thoughts seem to get me here)but I am also worried about my health. I am tall 5'11''1/2 so I tend to get a bit faint as well sometimes. I have been eating more lately realising I need the energy but I'm still having these effects. So I'm not losing much but not wanting to gain either in my attempts to keep a hold on things even though I am sensible(maybe not right now) and know I can't control everything anyway.
    Mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2001, 10:15 AM   #2
    CloudyDaze

CloudyDaze HB User
    Hey there Mel, yeah I got headaches at least daily sometimes more when I was restricting. I don't really notice them being bulemic, but whenever I try to go even a day restricting some again I notice that I get a headache. Sometimes when people have learned to turn their hunger off they get headaches and other things in its place. Try upping your calories a little bit until you headaches go away. If you really need to lose some weight there is a level where you won't get headaches and will still lose weight, even though it can be very uncomfortable to eat at that level. For me I have to eat around 1500 cals a day to avoid headaches. It is miserable to eat that much because I either want to eat less or eat more and throw up. It is getting a little more easy as I make myself do it, though, and that same will apply to you.

Old 09-17-2001, 06:35 AM   #3
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hey Cloudy,
    Thanks for your advice. I too seem to need around that 1500 ish cals a day to stay headache free. I know I'm getting a bit lean(comments)and have been eating up which is helping the headaches. This is the sort of weight I was aiming for when I was bulimic, yet I was so much heavier despite constantly throwing up! I was doing about 7-900 cals, which explains the loss, weakness and probobly headaches. I like having abs though but I don't think it's worth the feelings of gloom and the moodiness. It's great that you don't get them with bulimia, but it did take me years of binging and purging for them to start. Be careful and go easy on yourself with throwing up. Sometimes it's the only way to rid yourself of all the feelings untill you find another way like talking about them and feeling them till they fade which is more of a release if you can do it. I used to be so afraid of all my feelings of anger, doubt, sadness etc till I lost my Dad to cancer and was forced to face things finally. It took me 2 years and the odd binge(many years prior of constant binging) to call bulimia quits. I Liked the stats you posted too, very interesting seeing as I weigh less than the average woman mentioned and am twice the height! How are you doing?
    Mel

Closed Thread