HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Eating Disorder Recovery (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/eating-disorder-recovery/)
-   -   So, you're anoerxic or you want to become anoerxic; please, read this. (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/eating-disorder-recovery/44552-so-youre-anoerxic-you-want-become-anoerxic-please-read.html)

Faith80 12-06-2002 04:02 PM

So, you're anoerxic or you want to become anoerxic; please, read this.

I have found that most bulimic want to be anoerxic and most anoerxics want to be bulimic. I will be doing one post on anoerxia and one on bulimia for I have fought with both:
So, if you're reading this you probably are anorexic or you are thinking about trying to become anorexic. Either way, if you like it or not, please read this post to the very end.

I have fought with both anorexia and bulimia for many years and can't express how unsatisfying both of them are. It's no fun when you're trying to take a bath and it kills your back because there's nothing there to cushion your bones from the tube itself. It's no fun when you're cold all the time while everyone else says it's comfortable. It's no fun when all your family and friends can eat what they want and be okay with it and you just can sit and stare at the fun and you probably were the one that prepared it. It's no fun when the room spins, or you feel your heart miss a few beats here and than and your tired constantly so trying to hold down a job or making it through the school day is about all you can accomplish. It also isn't much fun when you start to isolate from your friends and they from you because of your behavior with and around food. It's not any fun when you do give in and go out to eat and that you feel guilty and wonder how much you have to do to burn the calories off. It's also not any fun when you do go out that you worry about how the food was made, if the cooks purposely put extra fat into the fun, and wonder if you use enough napkins to get some grease off of the food if it truly will be enough. It's not fun to walk up and down the grocery isles, checking each package of food and trying to find the one less likely to make you gain weight.

Now, I'm going to give you some facts I got off different websites on eating disorders:

Between 5-20% of individuals struggling with anorexia nervosa will die. The probabilities of death increases within that range depending on the length of the condition (Zerbe, 1995).
Anorexia nervosa has one of the highest death rates of any mental health condition.
Swelling in the feet and hands.
Hair loss, brittle nails, and dry skin.
Difficulty concentrating and solving problems or poor judgment.
Fainting spells, low blood pressure, and slow heartbeat.
Frequent colds and other infections.
Yellow-orange skin, especially on the palms of the hands, or a purplish skin color on the arms and legs.
and there are many more.

------------------
As long as there is life, there is hope

katrinae 12-07-2002 05:29 AM

I totally could identify with this post. When I was anorexic, I experienced most all of this. It is strange how even my family memebers really didnt notice until I turned Bright Orange. I was walking around looking like a had severe liver cancer, and I was so shrunken that people probably believed it! It was not fun.

Legally_Brunette19 12-08-2002 07:37 PM

Hi there, well I totally identified with your post, and although i'm six months into recovery i still have many of the symptoms I wonder when they leave?? Also I wonder if it's possible to totally recover from eds, or if the thinking about food and calories is always there.
well bye guys

Faith80 12-09-2002 11:48 AM

Hi and thanks for reading this Katrina and Legally_brunette and thanks for adding your comments and exepriencess.
It is possible to recover from an eating disorder. It's not easy and it's a long hard road, but one that is well worth it. Keep up with the recovery process you two. Take Care.

------------------

cutenbrat 12-09-2002 04:53 PM

I can't trust food anymore that others make, even in restraunts. At home I wash all my fruit before eating for I am afraid that somehow my family added "fat" to them. If I leave an open can of soda out of my sight, I can't finish it in fear somoene added something to it.

Sehsun 12-23-2002 04:02 PM

Wow, I can relate to some of the things that were written.....like walking down the aisles and reading the Nutrition Facts on the back of the box....and afraid of eating with others. And being cold when everyone else isn't. That was a great post.

------------------
"Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you respond to it." ~Charles Swindoll

Faith80 12-23-2002 05:22 PM

I'm sorry you can relate, but I am glad that you read this and I hope to see more of your posts hon.
Take Care

------------------

PrincezzPain16 01-02-2003 08:23 PM

Wow, I'm a 15 female and I just recently became Bulimic and on the verge of being an Anorexic. I was searching through here hoping to find out just the effects of what could happen over a long term time of doing this and I have. I've been bulimic for about 4 days now and I was just wondering what the pain in my ribs could meen? I do throw up everything I eat on purpose adn I know thats WHY my ribs hurt but what's causing it? Thanks for all your help and I think I'm goign to reconsider my whole Bulimic thing.

------------------
~*PrincezzPain16*~

singingsmiles 01-02-2003 09:17 PM

oh PLEASE reconsider it!! You don't want this pain! You don't want the pain of an eating disorder! You don't want the weak states that your body will go through! You don't want any of this!! If you can stop this after 4 days, then please do! You deserve better than an eating disorder!

------------------
--katie--
When it hurts to look back and
you are scared to look ahead,
look beside you and I will be there

shadow111 01-04-2003 07:36 PM

you also do not want to keep throwing up because eventually your throat will start to bleed and you are more at risk for cancer of the esophagus.
Teeth falling out is really a bad thing but dying is a totally different story. And I've heard that dying from cancer of the esphagus is not fun....

I've been doing this for about 16 years or so and does not get better.

The best thing to do is to get your mind off of it and get busy with something else in your life. Exercise or do what ever else you can think of to lose weight, but do not throw up or take laxatives.

The problem with laxatives is that your body becomes totally dependant on them and you won't ever be able to go to the bathroom on your own again and you will always feel bloated and uncomfortable.

Good luck...

roomrat 01-14-2003 07:34 PM

I hope I word this correctly. For those looking at this discussion hoping to find tips on being anorexic- if you think it's such a good way to lose weight, count the number of posts from people wanting to get out of eating disorders.... for them it's no longer a simple choice.... Nobody plans on being one of the ones who dies. Nobody plans on being one of the ones who develops permanent complications. Nobody plans on the eating disorder taking control when that's what they wanted in the first place (at least of their weight). Eating disorders are not weight loss methods- they are illnesses that kill (either physically, socially, or mentally). As the eating disorder gets stronger, the real person goes farther away. As a friend of mine used to ask, "so, ya wanna be skinny for your funeral???"

Faith80 01-23-2003 05:59 PM

I want to move this to the top for the those that are new.

------------------

NorthrN 01-27-2003 01:29 PM

i am 16 yrs old and i have anorexia/bulimia.. i can so relate to everything here...i hate being caught in this cycle yet powerless to do anything bout it. i feel that i can't recieve help for some reason...that i deserve this..very depressing..and to all the teens out there who think losing weight is the answer to all ur probs..think bout how it'll be when u lose so much that ur bones creak everytime u stand up and move..or u heart pounds real hard and irregular when u exert urself and u dont have the energy to get out of bed in the morning...u look in the mirror and see dark eyes,hollow cheeks,pale skin and wnat to die...now is it worth it?

Faith80 02-15-2003 09:19 AM

to the top once again

------------------

rad916 02-19-2003 02:48 PM

how is it that we can all discuss the atrocities associated with ed's, and we can all vouch for the way it ruins our lives and yet none of us can get out of it???
something to think about.
luv and luck, [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]
Rachel