It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Feeling triggered by brother's eating habits

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
    k_2005
    (female)

k_2005 HB User
    Feeling triggered by brother's eating habits

Hey everyone,

Okay, my older brother is overweight (obese, in fact) and I am at the very low end of normal and trying to recover from my eating disorder. I guess part of the reason I developed an eating disorder in the first place was out of fear that I would be overweight like him.

Well, I feel so triggered by his eating habits sometimes because he frequently skips meals. Just now, he told me that he is not going to have lunch. When he does this, it makes me feel like a pig for eating six times a day like I am supposed to. He does not eat breakfast either. He can go the whole day without eating anything until late afternoon. He does not do it to lose weight; he is just very lazy.

How am I supposed to eat a healthy meal while watching my overweight brother skip meals???

It is so difficult for me. It also makes me so angry because when I skip meals it is called an eating disorder, but when he skips meals, well, it is called being lazy and stupid. I see him skip meals and wonder if I should be able to skip meals as well.

I know this my seem silly, but it is very upsetting to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
    k_2005
    (female)

k_2005 HB User
    Re: Feeling triggered by brother's eating habits

I also have a younger brother who is naturally skinny and weighs in at the low end of normal, but he can eat whetever he wants. I watch him eat McDonald's all the time and snack on cookies without a care in the world. Maybe I was adopted!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
    paperdoll08
    (female)

paperdoll08 HB User

Ugh! I have a maddeningly thin younger brother too. Its so hard for me to stay on track around him because he eats whatever he wants, but usually only one big meal a day. I definitely get a "complex" of feeling like a pig when I'm eating 5 times a day. Also, in the past, pre-eating disorder, a lot of our bonding time revolved around food. He and I would essentially binge (food quantity, not really binging in the emotional sense), we'd make huge batches of sweets, and watch TV and eat them all! And laugh and talk. Now since that is a huge trigger for me, and I don't want to get back into the frame of mind of eating one huge meal that is high in fat and calories, we don't have that particular bonding time anymore.

Try to look at it in a different light. Your brother's eating habits are visably catching up with him. He is unhealthy. And eating disordered or not, eating 5-6 small meals a day is what is recommended to be healthy! And isnt that what were aiming for now? Health? So on those counts...you are succeeding, with FLYING COLORS! Kudos to you, you know whats best for your body, and you are doing it. He is not!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
    cherrychan
    (female)

cherrychan HB User

Keep in mind that skipping meals is often what causes weight gain. Most people that skip meals regularly are on the bigger side. Also keep in mind he's a boy. Men do-not-know how to eat right.

Closed Thread