It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Tropamax and Bulimia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
    jerseygirl8992
    (female)

jerseygirl8992 HB User
    Tropamax and Bulimia

Hi, I have been suffereing from bulimia for the last few years. I have been thinking about starting tropamax. However I am very worried about the "brain fog" because I am a full time student and have exams coming up in the next month. Anyone have experience with this medicine(weight loss, b/p cycle gone, caffine effect)? if so what dosage worked... would 25mg cause the brain fog if I started it a few weeks before the tests??
    Thankyou

Ps. I am okay with the other side effects due to the fact that I believe that I might be able to overcome this disease... however I am not sure I can risk ruining my education.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
    cocos421
    (female)

cocos421 HB User
    Re: Tropamax and Bulimia

It works different on everyone, but I would hold off until after the tests. There's always a list of side effects from starting new meds and you don't know exactly how it will effect you. Even at a low dose.
    I started at 25mg. I'm pretty sure I had the brain fog at that dose. I take 175mg. now and I'm used to it. The brain fog doesn't seem to be there so much. I take it for bipolar, works wonders. I just had it increased for my unstable moods and to help control my appetite, and it helps with that too.
    <removed>
    What did you want to know about the caffeine effect? I drink alot of caffeine and have an energy drink every day.
    Topamax should most likely control those binges however. <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-26-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: edited triggering passages

Old 04-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
    dragonfly57
    (female)

dragonfly57 HB User

Why are you taking Topamax? For what condition? I can't believe a doctor would prescribe this to someone with bulimia. I'm just saying it feeds into your condition.

I was on Topamax for several years for bp. It has a lot of possible side effects. The brain fog is one, losing hair is another, there are other - and yes, weight loss is one.

Disabled
    A lot of diagnoses
    Only by the grace of God do I keep on going

Last edited by dragonfly57; 04-26-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: added note

Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
    jerseygirl8992
    (female)

jerseygirl8992 HB User

thank you.
    yes its suppose to help control the the b/p cycles. a few recent studies have been done on it.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
    cocos421
    (female)

cocos421 HB User

Yes, it is actually prescribed for bulima because it controls the binge eating. However, it does cause weight loss. And I see your point, dragonfly, I developed Anorexia my first year after starting Topamax. I don't know if I blame the Topamax, as I was dieting to really try to lose the way and took it to extremes. But I'm sure it aided in some way, my pdoc was going to take me off of it, but I convinced her it was a dangerous thing to do due to my moods.

Closed Thread