It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Bulimia & pregnancy (please help!)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
    Stigma
    (female)

Stigma HB User
    Bulimia & pregnancy (please help!)

I have been bulimic for about 15 yrs., which has resulted in hypothalamic amenorrhea three years ago. Currently, I'm going through a fertility treatment which is supposed to help me conceive. I know the risk of abusing laxatives and purging during pregnancy, but I was not quite aware (or I tried to tell myself that I wasn't - whichever) that it can be dangerous before conception as well. To make the long story short, I took laxatives yesterday (a lot!) and on my ultrasound today, they finally saw a folicle was being formed and said that it's likely that they'll do intrauterine insemination in two days if the follicle grows. I'm soooooooooo scared of the side effects of this last laxative abuse episode I did. I just read about birth defects that bulimia causes and am still in tears. I was recently told that while what happens in the body before conception is important, it is only once the zygote/embryo is formed that it all really matters. Apparently, even alcohol in moderation is OK *before* conception (though I managed to stay away from that completely during my fertility treatments).

Can someone people tell me what to do? Does anyone with an ED have an experience with a pregnancy as well? Please, please - I am going to drive myself nuts! THank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
    aileb
    (female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
    Re: Bulimia & pregnancy (please help!)

I am so sorry this happened. Does your doctor know about the laxative abuse? I think that you should let them know. It's going to be hard too tell them but they are the only ones who can honestly put your mind at rest. Please take care.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
    CandiBrewer09
    (female)

CandiBrewer09 HB User

I have had bulimia for over 15 years now. I am happy to say that I am 8 1/2 months along in my pregnancy with no problems. I did however lose my first baby years ago, I believe as a result of being bulimic. I do not recommend anyone trying to conceive who isn't in recovery. It takes a hard mental toll on you. I struggled through this pregnancy because my mother passed away suddenly, so the added stress flared up my bulimia. I am very fortunate my baby is healthy. The thing with laxatives is they cause dehydration. Dehydration can cause a miscarriage very fast. Most bulimics already suffer from dehydration so keep that in mind. Does your Dr. know about your history? Best wishes to you. You really have to understand that letting your body do it's own thing and being naturally the way it should is what your baby needs.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-15-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
    fufu
    Inactive
    (female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

I hope you and your baby are both fine. I am trying to understand that perhaps you are having a hard time changing for your baby but you can do it if you want to. Many years ago when i learned that i was pregnant i stopped smoking cold turkey. As soon as i received the results i threw away the pack of cigarettes, being a heavy smoker at the time i thought it would be so difficult but it was so easy because it wasen't about me anymore it was about my baby. I believe that you can change your life because of this beautiful baby that God blessed you with it's your responsibility to keep it healthy from the first moment it's growing in your womb. There are so many women that want a baby and never are able to have one. You are truly blessed so come on start to take care of yourself and not do things that can harm your baby, believe me it's all worth it. If I appear harsh it is not my intention i truly hope i can get through to you.
    Wishing you a healthy baby.

Closed Thread