It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Bloat after stopping laxative abuse!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
    Orlando
    (female)

Orlando HB User
    Thumbs up Bloat after stopping laxative abuse!

Hi Ladies
    I'm new to joining and have been reading your posts -- I am so inspired by you -- I have abused laxatives for 2 years I finally am off of them since April 4th -- I have been using fiber drink each morning to ensure that I go -- since I have gone off my scale has gone up -- I am so depressed and want to get my weight back down -- my pants all fit tighter I am eating really healthy and drinking a lot of water -- How long does this bloat last? Please help -- I am uncomfortable in my own skin. Thanks

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-21-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 04:17 AM   #2
    c2runner
    (female)

c2runner HB User
    Re: Bloat after stopping laxative abuse!

I abused laxatives for years. I am sure I am a lot older than you are. I have been off now for 4 weeks. Yes, you will gain a little weight. Your body is rehydrating. I too felt depressed and uncomfortable in my own skin. Have had an eating disorder for a long time. But I am now feeling good most of the time. Keep eating healthy and you will lose the bloat. Exercise helps me too. Have been a gym rat all of my life. Keep up the good work. YOU WILL BE HAPPY YOU HAVE DONE THIS.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
    Orlando
    (female)

Orlando HB User

Hi thank you for replying to my post - I am going out of my mind - I don't know what I'm going to do - it will be three weeks on Monday since I've stopped - however I have been using a colon cleansing (mainly fiber) I just don't understand what's going on. Is there anything you did to help with bloat? Did you also gain weight in your thighs too? Please help. Thanks

Old 04-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
    Cipriana
    (female)

Cipriana HB User

Hey Orlando,

I just wrote in my own thread about lax abuse the following;

"At the beginning you might need some herbs or things such as physilium husk to get things moving, but try and not become dependant on those... i think the best is to keep hydrated, like really make a point of drinking plenty of water, eat healthy small meals all throughout the day so you keep your bowels active, lots of fiber (prune/fig juice) and incorporate some exercises.
    I started up yoga and pilates and some cardio. It makes me feel better about my body, stretches are great for you
    "

As for the bloat, yeah... it happens. Your body is holding on to the water for the moment because it is used to you flushing it out with the use of those laxatives. It is a beautiful mechanism really, your body is protecting you and trying to keep you healthy But of course I understand your frustration! I have been frustrated as well, my bloat has gone down a bit more though, it's still there, especially in my face after I wake up, but I have faith and believe with persistence we can all get better from this.

A life on the laxatives is NO life, we all know that. And how hard as this period we're in right now may be, we are serious FIGHTERS and have a right to be proud for overcoming an addiction I can only compare to a serious drug addiction.

I hope all goes well for you, stay in touch, let us know whats up!

Closed Thread