It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• A determination to stop. Can you help me? Bulimia, laxatives, and diuretics.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
    Avellaneda
    (female)

Avellaneda HB User
    Smile A determination to stop. Can you help me? Bulimia, laxatives, and diuretics.

Why, hello!

I have registered barely minutes ago, but I've spent the past few days reading threads compulsively! There's a lot of knowledge, and people who understand each other here, so I thought I might intrude and maybe detain your attention for a few minutes, and some help .

I am currently 21 years old. My ED started back when I was 15. I started toying around with anorexia for about a year, during which I managed to lose a lot of weight. Even though anorexia was my drug of choice at the time, my true nature loves food, so this disease mutated into bulimia.

I went into a long tunnel of binging, fasting, and purging (vomiting), that lasted for almost three years, during which I gained <weight>. During my last year of highschool, I discovered laxatives. I started to abuse them, even though I knew they had no weight loss effect, just to feel empty. Fat, unhealthy, secluded, I survived merely on a routine. I didn't have friends because I refused to socialize since I was so embarrassed of how I looked. It was misery. I eventually became so jaded, that I quit school, and just went to work, to return to my house where I gave into yet another binge.

Somehow, about a year or so later, something inside me clicked. I started eating vegetables. I used to hate them, and avoid them at all costs, but I made myself learn to eat them. This caused me to start losing weight, and made me feel healthier! I was amazed, I couldn't believe my eating habits started changing even the slightest bit. I stopped purging. I began to eat healthy breakfasts, healthy lunches, healthy dinners. It wasn't all from one day to the other, I had several relapses, but I kept going. I took control of food, instead of letting it control me. I started exercising; long walks were my favorites.

I started losing weight. <edited> It was little, I still had plenty to go, but I felt so much better! I went back to school. Made a bunch of friends, scored top grades on the first semester.

I still had plenty of vices. Though they weren't full-fledged binges, I still had episodes of eating large amounts of unhealthy foods, sweets, and candies. I continued to use laxatives (senna tea) in large amounts. And I started using diuretics, because I thought they would purge whatever water bloating I was having.

I spent another year like this, slowly normalizing my eating habits, but some things are hard to kill. I lost even more weight just by moderating the amount of food I ate (less fasting and binging) and keeping a relative balance. Still, I often indulged into eating way too little food or eating a lot of unhealthy food, skipping breakfast, abusing diuretics and laxatives.

A few months ago I decide to even modify my diet some more. I decided to stop being such a freak about "diet" foods, and started eating what I thought was good for me (rich, whole-wheat bread with honey for breakfast, regular (non fat-free!) yogurt, more cereals, chicken, veggies, eggs, fruit) and stopped thinking so much about whether something has or doesn't have sugar, or whether it's fat-free or not. I also decided to refrain on one of my biggest enemies: sweets. I used to need to have chocolate, ice-cream, or cookies as a dessert everyday, but I decided to switch those for a cup of yogurt, and eliminate sugarless sodas altogether (you wouldn't believe, but barely a week after I stopped taking them I felt repulsed by the idea of one!) and replace them with natural fruit juice. I threw away my diuretics, and decided to let water take it's natural course.

It's been two months, and now I'm finally barely 2 pounds over my healthy weight (and I think I like them!) and two months diuretic-free. I feel so much better than when I started this horrible, horrible path, but I still have one last monster to beat.

Laxatives.

I managed to cut down the dosage during the years and I never did have to increase the dosage, but now I just hate them. I want to stop taking them forever. I have become sickened by the smell of senna, but I have been taking this tea for so long (about 3 years) that I am extremely worried about how my body will manage to function without it. I am afraid my bowels have shut down entirely, or that I won't be able to have a normal BM again.

However, I am decided. Today I decided. I want to quit laxatives.

This morning I had my last cup of senna tea. I won't have one tomorrow.

However, I do need your help. Can you give me any advice on how to do this? Should I quit cold turkey, or take less and less of it (take some every couple of days, as opposed to daily). If I don't have a normal BM in the next few days, should I take some tea to remedy that? I don't care about the weight anymore. I just want some help with what kinds of food to eat, exercise, extra tips to make this easier. This is the last monster I need to beat, and I will do it, if you can help me.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-18-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: edited triggering words

The following user gives a hug of support to Avellaneda:
    faldhi (09-26-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
    aileb
    (female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
    Re: A determination to stop. Can you help me? Bulimia, laxatives, and diuretics.

HI,

So much of what you wrote sounds exactly like me, except I drank the tea for 6 years. I have spent the past year working on recovery: 1st I stopped taking all diet pills, then I stopped taking the tea, then laxatives, then "natural laxatives" then bulimia and I am working on recovery from anorexia.

Do a search because there are several good threads on recovering from laxatives (tea). The best advice would be not to quit cold turkey! Most people reduce the amount over the course of a week and it depends on how many you usually take. I watered down my tea and reduced the number of bags I put it in it. I also started drinking Chamomile Tea because it looks exactly like the laxative tea but it tastes a little bit sweeter than it. This tea in not a laxative tea and will not give you that effect but it helps with digestion and relaxes muscles!

Also give yourself about 3-4 weeks were you are going to gain temporary weight, bm's are not going to be frequent but don't freak out unless it's more than several days. If several days have passed try an over the counter fiber supplement. You also do not want to get dependent on taking those or other "natural" laxatives.

Don't increase your food intake of fiber all of a sudden because this causes bloating in regular non-ed people and for people with eds it makes it worse. I made the mistake of all of a sudden eating more than 25 grams of fiber.

Good luck and keep posting with questions or an update.

Closed Thread