It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• too much sugar?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
    jslover
    (female)

jslover HB User
    Question too much sugar?

okay i know that this is a really weird question to put on here, but i feel like i am consuming too much sugar lately in my recovery. i mean i'm not eating like cake and cookies and i really have a healthy diet, but even so i feel that the foods i eat have too much sugars in them.

so is it okay for me to eat this extra sugar in the recovery from my eating disorder or do you think that it this habit is bad for even underweight people?

sorry it's a weird question but i was curious

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
    aileb
    (female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
    Re: too much sugar?

This is totally normal. During recovery, your hunger cues are unpredictable and you might get huge cravings for carbs & simple sugars. (The need to eat carbs is why most recovering anorexics become bulimic so please be careful. Don't deny, restrict food or feel bad. Once you are weight restored then the huge cravings won't be so much.) Just remember these carvings are normal and happen to many people going through recovery.

However, simple sugars are high in carbohydrates and cause a surge in insulin levels which can cause fluid retention. Try to slowly switch over to complex carbohydrates: grains, cereals, fruits and vegetables.

It's not a bad habit that you have to give up. Once you are weight restored then you will get a new meal plan and you start all over working on how to follow it.

For right now, your body is undernurished so make sure you are following a meal plan. I had a lot of weight to gain and I mostly ate carbs, protein and to gain weight I ate food that wasn't healthy after each meal.

Good Luck and don't give up!

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-13-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
    jslover
    (female)

jslover HB User
    Re: too much sugar?

alright thank you very much! that makes me feel better because i just read all these internet sites that say that sugar is bad, bad ,BAD for you. i do think that my teeth are going to be rotting after this though

Closed Thread