It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Anorexia hair loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
    appletree2606
    (female)

appletree2606 HB User
    Anorexia hair loss

Hi,

I'm 15 year old girl and recovering from anorexia. Been recovering for 8 weeks and already gained 16lbs!! (I was 38kg at 163cm..yikes) I'm so determined to get better as i miss my trampolining and lacrosse and going shopping. Now i'm eating 3250 cals a day.

Just under a month ago, i started losing my hair. Now it's got really bad and keeps coming out. I cry all the time cause my hair is the only thing i liked. Roughly how long does it fall out for? Will it get really really thin? Is there anything that will help or stop it?

Please answer my questions, i would really apreciate it. xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
    Meditation18
    (female)

Meditation18 HB User
    Re: Anorexia hair loss

Quote:
    Originally Posted by appletree2606 View Post
    Hi,

I'm 15 year old girl and recovering from anorexia. Been recovering for 8 weeks and already gained 16lbs!! (I was 38kg at 163cm..yikes) I'm so determined to get better as i miss my trampolining and lacrosse and going shopping. Now i'm eating 3250 cals a day.

Just under a month ago, i started losing my hair. Now it's got really bad and keeps coming out. I cry all the time cause my hair is the only thing i liked. Roughly how long does it fall out for? Will it get really really thin? Is there anything that will help or stop it?

Please answer my questions, i would really apreciate it. xxx
    Hi. I just wanted to say donít worry. Your hair is shedding because of the eating disorder and low body weight. It is down to a lack of protein and other nutrients in your diet. Hair loss is a really common symptom after anorexia. Firstly your hair isnít going to all fall out. The health of your hair often reflects your bodyís health about 2-3 months ago. When the body does not have sufficient protein or nutrients it conserves vital nutrients for vital organs etc. Hair loss after an eating disorder is TE telogen effluvium.

generally hair loss will continue for about 100 days from when you noticed it really shedding/ and from when you started eating well. After that hair shedding should slow. However to ensure this itís really important that changes to your diet have being made. Make sure youíre eating lots of protein (45 g per day at least but more if you can) Ė try eating eggs, chicken, fish etc. Red meat is also good as it is rich in iron also necessary for hair growth. I used to have scrambled eggs and whole meal toast for breakfast as itís a good 20g of protein. Healthy fats are really good for your hair too; olive oil, rapeseed oil and flax I found really helped me. Try adding olive oil to pasta, eggs before you scramble them etc. Also try to have fish a few times a week, tuna, salmon are really good. Soya milk is also a great source of protein (they do great soya protein shakes in nice flavours) as are nuts and seed which are good to sprinkle over cereal or on salad. You just need to let your body now that everythingís ok and by eating regularly, not going more than 3-4 hours without eating and consuming enough calories (which I know you are) is important. Also make sure you are taking a multivitamin (that contains iron and biotin especially). Other vitamins that are good are kelp supplements. I know itís difficult because loosing your hair is really traumatic (I lost hair when I was 15 & 18 due to the same situation) but try and stay relaxed and calm because excessive stress can make hair loss worse. Make sure you are sleeping well and find ways to relax. All the best- Stay strong and eat well- your body and hair will love you for it.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-05-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
    Julia826
    (female)

Julia826 HB User
    Re: Anorexia hair loss

Hi...when i went through recovery i went through the exact same thing. Your hair falls out at first because of lack of nutrients, but as you recover your hair becomes healthy again. Hope i helped

Closed Thread

Tags
    anorexia, disordered eating, hairloss, recovery