It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• What is happening to me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
    recovery2013
    (male)

recovery2013 HB User
    What is happening to me?

Introduction: I'm 20 now and have bulimic for at least ~7 years. It gradually became from a one time thing to running my life. For the past year I have been working hard to try to end my bulimia, some days better than others.

I have had bouts with costochondritis, have a lot of stress and anxiety, and worry about my heart (which doctors have told me is strong and fine). Although I had these symptoms I managed to be productive and somewhat healthy (aside from my binge eating and purging)

I am a college student. This past weekend I unfortunately got black out drunk twice (which isn't a first for me, sadly). I know its not good to do this, and it doesn't usually happen every weekend, but whenever it has it never took a big toll on my health. However, for the past week, I have had slight numbness in the outside of my left hand and tingling, which a school doctor said was a pinched ulnar nerve. I have been extremely tired and fatigued, even with coffee. I've had slight chest pressure and I feel as if my heart is beating weakly.

The strange part is that al of this has happened during a week where I have actually been keeping food down and not purging (a maximum of once a day on a bad day) and I have also been taking multivitamins, B vitamins, and magnesium (separately and at different times to prevent overdosage)

What is happening to me? I feel depressed and discouraged and exhausted. I want to keep fighting to eat right, and I have been mostly successful but I feel the weakeast and worst I have ever felt in my life for the past 4 days.

I've done some searching and I've had symptom matches for anemia, exhaustion, and even conjestive heart failure (which scares me to beyond end of course)

Can someone tell me what is happening?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
    Twigster
    (female)

Twigster HB User
    Re: What is happening to me?

Number 1 - Your heart is fine, the doctor confirmed that. So don't stress

Secondly, you have been doing a ritualistic process for seven years. You are now taking pro-active measures to become healthy and help your self better. Excellent, well done. That takes courage. Stick to your guns.

You have abused your body over some time, it will not recover in an instant. Now is the time that you need to learn and understand your body all over again in a healthy way. Nurture. The period of time that you hurt your body, it is now going to take just as long to help heal it. The healing process is a gradual one. Be kind to self.

You have already taken a brave step and a pro-active one at taking supplements - good. The fatigue, if it continues, go to your GP and get advice and be upfront about the spot you are in and how you got there.

Best wishes.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
    OnWithHope
    (female)

OnWithHope HB User
    Re: What is happening to me?

When I was recovering from bulimia, I had irregular heart beats too, even if I hadn't purged in a few days. It may be that your electrolytes are still fluctuating. Milk is a very helpful refeeding tool since it has potassium and phosphate which, in addition to magnesium, are crucial for balancing electrolytes.
    I also noticed that for a long time, I would try to stop bingeing and purging by restricting instead. This always led to a return of bingeing and purging and would make me feel progressively more weak and tired. You may need to consider whether you are allowing yourself enough food at regular intervals (at least every 4 hours) to help keep energy up.
    Remember that while bingeing is no fun and not super for our bodies, purging is the real destroyer. My recovery progressed quickly when I gave up purging completely. Eventually the frequency of binges also diminish and then stopped completely.
    Best of luck!

Closed Thread