It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Early stages of anorexia recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
    Millie247
    (female)

Millie247 HB User
    Question Early stages of anorexia recovery

After a long battle with my eating disorder this year I was diagnosed with anorexia. After a number of months of restricting and quiet a rapid weight loss things reached crisis point and I have recently (in the last 2-3 weeks) started on a more recovery focused eating plan. The only thing is, now I have started to eat a more varied diet I have begun to feel really quiet ill. I am constantly cold (a lot more so than I was when restricting), I feel exhausted and seem to be sleeping tonnes and perhaps the worst symptom I ache ALL over. Has anyone else expereinced this? Is it normal and how long will it last? Any advice or info would be greatly recieved

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: Early stages of anorexia recovery

Millie, I have no advice for you but I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck!
    I applaud your journey toward better health.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
    Millie247
    (female)

Millie247 HB User

Thanks sweetpotato13, i can only hope it gets easier x

Old 09-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
    1822jb
    (female)

1822jb HB User

Hi Millie,
    I'm just starting the recovery process too from anorexia. The first few days I started I felt ill and really tired. Now it seems I have a lot more energy. I've only started a week and a half ago. My problem right now is the motivation to keep eating and not restricting no matter what. I'm doing this without a therapist or dietitian so extra support is needed.
    The symptoms you're experiencing are normal from what I've read. Keep going girl! I'm here for you!

Old 09-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
    Boomer2014
    (female)

Boomer2014 HB User

Hello Millie,
    First I wish you all the best and will keep you in my payers. I myself used to have anorexia/bulimia but was able to beat this illness. I almost died in 2006 and was hospitalized for 3 days in the icu. The cold feeling is because your body has no fat to keep itself warm because of your lack of enery. It stopped functioning right. Basically your body needs to keep your organs running so it stoppes taking care of the parts that aren't as important. The body pains are from dehydration. If you only drink water you won't get any electrolytes and the more you drink it will just flush out your body more. Go to the store and buy pedialyte and drink at least 4-6 bottles of it a day. You won't believe how Dehydrated you actually are. Now you WILL gain a few pounds but this is a good thing. This means your boddy was laking fluids and the weight gain is ONLY water not fat. You should start feeling better within a few days and don't step on the scale. I was so dehydrated that when I was hospitalized I weighted 65 lbs for a person that is 5 feet I should have weighted 95 to 100 lbs and when I left I had gained a total of 15 lbs, all of this was water. Your body needs water, if you don't give your body water you will dry out.
    Good luck and if you have any questions you can always write me a private msg. I am more then happy to help you out. I know how hard it is. Stay strong

Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
    1822jb
    (female)

1822jb HB User

Hi Boomer,
    I would love it if you could help me through my struggle with anorexia also. I had an eating disorder for 17 yrs. Went inpatient in 2007 and gained 15 lbs. to a healthy weight (130). My treatment team wanted me to be 149 lbs. but insurance wouldn't pay anymore. I quickly relapsed when I got out. I'm so determined to beat this. I'm a 37 yr. old woman, married, with 2 kids. I'm 5'9" and 116 lbs.
    Are you weight restored now? How are you mentally? Do you still have ED thoughts?
    Thank you!
    Jen

Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
    Boomer2014
    (female)

Boomer2014 HB User

Hi Jen,
    I am so happy you are looking for help and I would love to be there for you and give you the extra push you need. If it wasn't for my friends and family I would have never been able to beat this beast inside of me. I am back to a normal weight, eat normal and know what it feels like to have a normal full feeling again. I had suffered from anorexia and bulimia at the same time. Not eating for days and then stuffing everything I could find into me making my stomach expand to 10 times it's normal size. It took me years and lots of discipline to get back to being normal again. I still have thoughts about my eating disorder but these thoughts are not what they used to be. If I get feelings of not wanting to eat, I do exactly the oposite and get an apple or orange and eat it. I want to be there for you and if you want to you can write me a privat msg so I can talk to you nor in detail about my road of recovery.
    Be strong If you have the Will to do this you are going to get there. Take it day by day and don't think about tomorrow. It's a slow process but worth it in the end.
    Good luck and I'm looking forward to talking to you.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anorexia, eating disorders, mental health, recovery, weight gain