It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Recovery bloating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
    recov123
    (female)

recov123 HB User
    Question Recovery bloating

Hello!
    This is my first time posting on this forum so I'll give you a little background on my condition.

Summer before freshman year of high school (3 years ago) I weighed about 150 lbs and was desperate to lose weight to be a healthy weight for my height (5'4"). I began by simply eating healthier, and lost about 10 pounds. I was thrilled with my progress and was happy with my weight at 140 - but it just kept coming off. Soon I was 130, happy with that weight, but became a little bit obsessed with calorie counting that began as just eating to reduce my horrible snacking habits. I began severely restricting and around the middle of freshman year weighed about 111 lbs. I was seen by many doctors who all recommended an in-patient eating plan and that was a big wake-up call to me and I turned my habits around.

Fast-forward to junior year. Weight: 120-123 lbs., eating like a teenager (lots of junk), no exercise, but overall a healthy weight. Stress with exams coming up at the end of the year triggered something new for me. I began purging (not necessarily binging). My weight dropped to about 109 in a month and I was taken again to the hospital where I was recommended to begin an inpatient program which seemed to "scare" me out of my habits for a few weeks. I began eating again, slowly but surely, and I was proving to my dad that I could handle this. A couple weeks in I had feelings coming back and began purging again and my lowest weight to date was 106 lbs. I decided (thankfully) that I was absolutely fed up with feeling this way and knew that there was no long term if I continued doing what I was doing. I am now dedicated to my recovery but what deters me the most is this horrible bloating.

I am a small girl, current weight about 110, but I will eat a pea and my stomach will swell up as if I am 9 months pregnant. I know that it takes time for this bloating to cease, but it is just so uncomfortable and takes hours upon hours to go away. The only time that I'm not terribly bloated is when I wake up in the morning. I've tried anti-bloating pills, lots of water, ab exercise after meals, everything that you could think of to try and help ease this but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.

Can anyone give me recommendations to help ease this bloating? It just makes recovery so much harder!

Last edited by Administrator; 10-26-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
    Ellendehl
    (female)

Ellendehl HB User
    Smile Re: Recovery bloating

I can totally relate to you. I've been dealing with my eating disorder for six years and it really sucks because I love food and eating and being able to just have a normal, worry free life, but it seems that every time I try to recover, I relapse and it's worse. Well first off, if you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to talk to me if you need help on the subject. Second, I'm currently in recovery (hopefully for good this time) and this is the worst I've been bloated and the longest. I've found that if I drink oolong tea, it helps with stress, but peppermint tea is perfect for indigestion, bloating, IBS, etc. Also if you have any epsom salt, take a hot bath with about one to two cups of epsom salt in your bath and soak in there for about 20 to 30 minutes. This helps with all the water that is being saved in your body. Don't do this all the time though, it may dry out your skin. As for the ab workouts after meals, that could be creating bloating because of the positions you may be in. Cardio is the best thing for bloating, but what I found works best is go on a walk after eating and then wait for your stomach to completely settle to do cardio like running or hiit workouts.
    Well that's about all the help I can give you, but I hope you start feeling better soon. Stay strong

Old 11-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
    Re: Recovery bloating

Hi,

Try "Domperidone" 1 tab 15 mins before meals 3 times per day.
    Also Ginger Tea is good.
    Don't eat and drink at the same time and eat small and often,

Solofelix.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anorexia, bloating, bulimia, recovery