It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Technique for recovery from Bulimia/Compulsive Overeating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
    focusedonliving
    (female)

focusedonliving HB User
    Technique for recovery from Bulimia/Compulsive Overeating

Hey I'm new to this forum, and basically want to share the method that I;m using to banish my bulimia and overeating for good! (partly to try and help other people, but also to reaffirm to myself how I can continue to get better)

there are 2 main methods I'm using:

1- Truly believing that I can have whatever food whenever I want it.
    For 4 years I have tricked my brain into viewing foods as 'good' or 'bad' as I'm sure so many of us do. It has made all the 'bad' foods soooo much more appealing (despite appreciating they are unhealthy ect). For the past 2 weeks I have allowed myself whatever I want - (At first I found it so exciting eating chocolate and sweets 24/7, but also terrifying thinking of the weight gain). Bulimia has overall caused me to gain weight, so I have to remind myself that a couple of months of overeating in order to fully recover is worth it.
    Within 3/4 days I already found the idea of sweets/chocolate much less exciting. This is how powerful the acceptance was - it reassured me that I can enjoy treats if I want to, and they will never disappear! Now I have even found myself getting bored half way through a twix - (impossible before I tried this technique). This has all happened within 2 weeks! It is not only useful with the TYPE of foods that used to have such a big worry in my mind, but also useful for amounts of food - now I find it easier to not overeat by letting myself know that I can have more IF I WANT TO. It's just relaxing.

2. Pinpointing the places/occasions that I binge and FIND A SUBSTITUTE TO EATING.
    I wrote a list of all the things that make me bing (being drunk, cooking, birthdays, feeling hungover, boredom, revising, watching TV, being home alone)
    For each of these situations, I have decided on something that I will FOCUS MY ATTENTION ON, rather than food
    example: Home alone: normally this is prime time to binge/easily purge ect, but now I've decided that home alone time is when I can take the oppurtunity to play really loud music and dance crazily around the house. This sounds stupid, but it is FUN. It had to be somehting that I would genuinely be excited to do.
    Drunk: Instead of anxiously trying to find a chip ship or something, I will enjoy the feeling of relaxation and confidence, and feel excited to lie down when I get home/go to bed
    Birthdays: pay attention to really engage with people that I might not normally talk to

These are just a few brief examples, but it really does help change my feeling in the situation, as I don't feel like I'm giving up something good, but rather learning something even more fun to focus my time on.

If even something tiny in all of this has helped someone reading, that makes me more than happy, and I am happy to go into more detail if needed. xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    binge, bulimia