It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board

Thyroid and Adrenal Testing

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
Raleigh Mom
(female)

Raleigh Mom HB User
Thyroid and Adrenal Testing

Hi,

I'm new here but hoping to get some advice. I have had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis for many years (diagnosed in 1999), and I've been on thyroid medication ever since then, and also on HRT, but my recent fatigue and other symptoms drove me to ask my doctor to do further testing.

When my pituitary hormones came back with an ACTH of 161.5 (7.2-63.3) along with some other abnormal pituitary hormones (slightly low TSH and slightly elevated IGF-1), my doctor ordered an MRI of my pituitary, which came back normal. He also ordered a 4-point salivary cortisol test, which showed I had a flat response with values all at the bottom of the normal range. (I can post those results if needed). My doctor is now ordering a CT Scan of my abdomen and a 21-hydroxylase antibody test.

I have seen two endocrinologists prior to this recent abnormal bloodwork who gave me stern lectures on why I should not be on the kind of thyroid hormone I take (Nature-Throid) and why I should only take Synthroid. The most recent one told me that the only I need to get off of all hormones in order to do an ACTH Stimulation Test in order to know whether I have an adrenal problem. That means thyroid, estrogen, progesterone, and very low dose testosterone replacement since my levels got so low on all of these in the last few years.

I'm wondering why I need an ACTH Stimulation Test if the test will reproduce what's already going on now--high ACTH with low adrenal output. Do I have to be off all the hormones? Does anyone know if this is true? And if so, does anyone know how long I have to be off of these to have the test run? Any information would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RM

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply