It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board

• What is going on?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
    kris90
    Inactive
    (male)

kris90 HB User
    What is going on?

I really need some help interpreting my bloodwork results. First off, I have been having a ton of symptoms which after research lead me to getting bloodwork done. Iím a 23 year old male BTW. I am 5í8 and weigh around 170.

Symptoms:
    Constant fatigue, lack of motivation, loss of memory and concentration, depression, cold intolerant, low libido, weight loss (muscle loss), headaches

I canít even count how many times I have been in and out of my Doctorís office to figure this out. I pretty much have had to be my own Doctor, telling my Doctor what tests I would like. As far as hormones, I had a Thyroid Panel, Testosterone, and Prolactin. My main concern was my Thyroid and Testosterone panels, as my Prolactin came back normal (slightly under midrange). Here are my results:

LH: 2 (2 - 9 IU/L)
    FSH: 1 (2 - 12 IU/L)
    Bioavailable T: 3.7 (2.7 - 19.2 nmol/L)

TSH: 4.36 (0.35 - 5.00 mIU/L)
    FT4: 20 (12 - 22 pmol/L)
    FT3: 5.1 pmol/L (2.6 - 5.7 pmol/L)

So to me it looks like a mild case of Hypogonadatropic Hypogonadism (my Pituitary is not stimulating my Testes sufficiently to produce enough Testosterone). I already understand treatment options, I could try to see if my Testes will respond to stimulation via exogenous HCG and/or HMG, or I could try therapy with Clomiphene to see if my Hypothalamus will respond and kickstart production of my HPTA. If all else fails, TRT will be the way to go which I am totally okay with, however I would want to remain fertile, and I understand low dosed HCG alongside TRT can maintain fertility. I seem to have figured out this issue, however my doctor wonít pay attention to me, and treats me like a smart *** when I explain this to him. Luckily I will be switching doctors this week.

As for my Thyroid, I am very confused. My understanding is that when TSH is elevated (which mine appears to be slightly) it is normally to compensate for an underactive Thyroid that fails to produce sufficient levels of T4 and T3. My interpretation of my results is that my Thyroid gland is responding to the stimulation it has received through the Pituitary, yet the Pituitary continues to overstimulate the Thyroid. My question now, is my Pituitary detecting something wrong with my Thyroid, or is my Thyroid functioning normal, and my Pituitary is acting strange? I have suspicions that I may be at the beginning stages of Hashimotoís Thyroiditis, as I understand it primarily causes Hypothyroidism but with bouts of Hyperthyroidism. Obviously I am not gaining weight, I am losing weight, and FT4 and FT3 appear to be at the high end of the range. When I had Thyroid checked last year, I had a TSH of 5.69, and my FT4 was only 12 (low end of range). So itís odd that a year later my FT4 jumped up to 20, even though TSH is still elevated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread