It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board

• Endometriosis or something else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
    ryanandmaran

ryanandmaran HB User
    Question Endometriosis or something else?

Hi, I wrote here a while ago about possibly having endometriosis, because that's what my regular doctor can only guess as to what may be wrong with me. However, I'm waiting for the pain to come again to go see a gynecologist about it. The last pain I got was October 30. (Today's December 3rd).

I've been having this pain since May 2003. I got it once in May, twice in June, once in July, August, September, and October. So far, the pain has come 3 times when I'm on my period, and 4 times when I'm not.

I'm going to describe what happens when I get the pain, and any advice on what this could possibly be would be greatly appreciated.

It starts with a burning, churning, cramping feeling in my stomach. Then I have a bowel movement, and I get a searing pain in my lower abdomen/pelvic area. I also get nauseated, clammy, etc, because the pain is so bad. That really terrible pain goes away after about an hour, (the sick feelings also go away)and I get really bad cramping/pulsing in my abdomen around my belly button. This cramping is usually so bad that I can't stand up (or if I do, I have to hunch over). It is like the pain you feel from being very constipated or gassy, only I can still have bowel movements. My stomach is also very tender to the touch. Advil has no affect on the cramping, nor does a heating pad. The cramping lasts about two to three days, and then it goes away for about a month.

When I first went to see my doctor about this, I wasn't having the pain, and he thought it could be irritable bowel syndrome. When I went back later while I was having the pain, he said it must be gynecological, and since I've always been infertile, he's guessing endometriosis.

Because the last two times this has happened, it's been on the same day I started my period, I accepted his diagnosis. However, I just started my period today, and there's been no sign of pain so far. (Like I said, I want to get the pain again before I go see a gynecologist).

Can anyone offer me some advice/answers? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
    kr1

kr1 HB User
    Re: Endometriosis or something else?

I have endometriosis, and I experience very similar pain as you have described. If it turns out that you have it (they can tell from a laparoscopy), it is very helpful to read up on treatments before you have a doctor tell you to do this or that to treat it. I have heard horror stories of certain treatments that were advised to patients only to end up making things worse. Being informed can make a big difference. There are some good endo message boards out there you might be interested in reading. I was only recently diagnosed, and personally I am first trying to treat it in as natural a way as possible. A good book that I'm currently reading is Endometriosis: A Key to Healing Through Nutrition. I hope everything works out for you, and you are feeling better!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanandmaran
    Hi, I wrote here a while ago about possibly having endometriosis, because that's what my regular doctor can only guess as to what may be wrong with me. However, I'm waiting for the pain to come again to go see a gynecologist about it. The last pain I got was October 30. (Today's December 3rd).

I've been having this pain since May 2003. I got it once in May, twice in June, once in July, August, September, and October. So far, the pain has come 3 times when I'm on my period, and 4 times when I'm not.

I'm going to describe what happens when I get the pain, and any advice on what this could possibly be would be greatly appreciated.

It starts with a burning, churning, cramping feeling in my stomach. Then I have a bowel movement, and I get a searing pain in my lower abdomen/pelvic area. I also get nauseated, clammy, etc, because the pain is so bad. That really terrible pain goes away after about an hour, (the sick feelings also go away)and I get really bad cramping/pulsing in my abdomen around my belly button. This cramping is usually so bad that I can't stand up (or if I do, I have to hunch over). It is like the pain you feel from being very constipated or gassy, only I can still have bowel movements. My stomach is also very tender to the touch. Advil has no affect on the cramping, nor does a heating pad. The cramping lasts about two to three days, and then it goes away for about a month.

When I first went to see my doctor about this, I wasn't having the pain, and he thought it could be irritable bowel syndrome. When I went back later while I was having the pain, he said it must be gynecological, and since I've always been infertile, he's guessing endometriosis.

Because the last two times this has happened, it's been on the same day I started my period, I accepted his diagnosis. However, I just started my period today, and there's been no sign of pain so far. (Like I said, I want to get the pain again before I go see a gynecologist).

Can anyone offer me some advice/answers? Thanks

Old 12-05-2003, 08:30 AM   #3
    ryanandmaran

ryanandmaran HB User
    Red face Re: Endometriosis or something else?

Thanks for your response, and for your suggestion on the book. I am actually going to school to become a nutritionist, and I understand how much the food I eat can affect the way I feel. I am definitely going to get that book!

Also, one thing I discovered after I posted my original message was that I did get my pain later in the day (that I started my period), but it wasn't NEARLY as bad as my previous experiences. I got some of the cramping pain (which is still worse than menstrual cramps but not as painful as before), and I started thinking about why the pain could have been so much less severe than before.

Here's what I came up with: Back in April or May is when I started eating meat again after years of being a vegetarian. And I didn't just eat chicken or pork, but also red meat, which is something I never did much of my entire life.

So looking back on these past months, I can see that not only did the pain begin when I started eating meat again, it actually got much worse on the months when I was eating an unusual amount of red meat! And this month, I wasn't eating much meat at all (I'm not really that fond of meat--I was just listening to my dad, who lives by the high protein/low carbohydrate way of eating), and my pain was not very bad at all!

I don't know if it's because of the hormones they put in the meat or what, but I'm doing an experiment, where I'm not going to eat any meat this whole month, and I'll see how my pain is next time.

So thanks for your advice, and I'll be sure to find that book!

Old 12-05-2003, 12:54 PM   #4
    kr1

kr1 HB User
    Re: Endometriosis or something else?

I think you might be onto something there about the red meat. I had very bad cramps this month - and that was after a laparoscopy to remove some endo. I wasn't sure why I was in so much pain, then I realized how much beef I ate this month. It was all organic, too, no hormones or antibiotics. I am cutting way back on it and hoping that this month won't be as bad. I definitely notice a correlation between how bad my cramps are and certain foods I eat. I'm glad you're going to look into reading the Healing through Nutrition book. I plan on reading it through a few more times to retain everything. There is so much info in it. There is also an Endometriosis Handbook (or sourcebook?) that is supposed to be good. I haven't bought that yet, though!

Closed Thread