It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board

• Endometriosis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User
    Unhappy Endometriosis?

Hi everyone, I have some serious questions. I have been having these seriously debilitating period cramps for years, along with irregular period cycles. I have more recently developed severe pain and aches in my lower abdomen and back. I have been very nauseous and it is painful to pee or have a bowel movement. My pelvic area is also very tender to the touch.

I went to the GYN and he found a small cyst on my left ovary (about a centimeter and a half), but said that my pains seem much to serious to be caused by such a small cyst. I was talking to my grandma about it and she said that she had endometriosis, and that it sounded similar to my symptoms. Does this sound like endometriosis? Should I tell my doctor that I'm concerned this may be endometriosis? Can I ever have children if it is? Please help me figure this out! Thanks so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
    lilsuzy
    (female)

lilsuzy HB User
    Re: Endometriosis?

HI,

What you described sounds like endometriosis to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think they only positive way to diagnose endo is by having a laprascope.
    I'm pretty sure with the advances in infertility you'd have a good chance to get pregnant...

I was recently diagnosed with endo in my c/section scar and let me tell you I was in severe pain for YEARS (4+) before they finally figured it out. Went through a laprascope--nothing seen there cause my endo wasn't located where it's typically found. I had surgery a few weeks ago, doc said it was very extensive and now wants me to go on lupron for 6 mos. UGH!
    I posted a lupron question a last week....I'm very nervous to go on this drug. but from a few that posted they had an ok experience with it..... nothing like the horror stories I've read on other message boards. So I'm still in limbo on whether to take it...I'll see the doc again next week.

I would definitely tell your doc about a family history of endometriosis.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-28-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
    cryingskies
    (female)

cryingskies HB User

no ur right, thats the only way to know if u have it or not....and it is incurable. I was diagnosed with endometriosis my senior year in highschool. and I struggle with it everyday....some of the symptoms u have definately sound like it, but others dont, I'd say talk to ur doc about it and see if he'll do the exploratory to find out for sure for u. it is painful, but it doesnt take very long to recover from it, and i only have three tiny scars from it. I went on it for a year. I had a shot every month. I hope u have insurance, my shots costed me 1500 dollars a shot...luckily i had insurance then....but the only horrible thing i can say about them is the hot flashes.....i dont know if it is the same exact type of it, they put my body thru a menopausal state. and i still have yet to get my period back, its been 3 years now, and i cants go back to the gyn because i have no insurance....my endo has been acting up so bad lately that its hard for me to even walk........but definnately talk to ur doc, tell ur fam history

Old 08-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
    djl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi
    Yes the only way to dx is by a lap. It may also be Adenomyosis, which is internal endo of the uteris. That causes VERY painful periods before and during.
    I know it hurt for me to urinate also as well as painful bowel movements too. When I urinated I thought my ovary was gonna explode. I would actualy have to hold onto something when I had to go !!
    Are you on the pill?? That may help.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
    I C Hot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I C Hot HB User

Hi,
    I was dx with endometriosis back in 96-97, I had a few years of too much pain. It got to the point that I could hardly walk or get up in the morning. My Dr. tried the pill (didn't work) then said we should try the Lupron for 6 months. So had a shot every month (expensive) and that put me in menopause immediately. That was no fun but survived it. I was mostly out of pain during that time. As the time got closer to when I would normally get another shot I started getting migraine's (never had them before.) My hormones went nuts. Within a month the pain returned. In April 98 I had a hysterectomy but leaving my ovaries. Finally I thought....out of pain. It was a long recovery and with in a few months the pain had returned. Then I did what I should have done from the very begining, I researched. What I found was that many women had the pain return even after surgery. So in further research everything said to give up sugar and white flour. I was at the point that I would try anything. Praise God for that. I don't remember how long it took before noticing the pain getting less, but it did happen (I think it was a few months.) I lost 75 pounds and feel so much better. Years later I still don't have sugar and mostly not any white flour and the pain is still gone. It is so worth giving up the sugar and white flour to be able to live again. Now the ovaries don't want to work anymore so I have hot flashes and night sweats (among other menopause problems.) But this to shall pass (hopefully.)

I hope this info. can help.
    Have a great day!

Old 09-08-2005, 10:03 AM   #6
    stavomite
    (female)

stavomite HB User

Hello,
    I to have painful periods. I've been having them for a few years now. The pain has spread to my legs and it has made it very painful to walk walk . I've tried just about every over the counter drug and they work for a while and then stop working. I would love to stop taking pain killers, because I have been told that it is messing up my liver(I have to take about 3 pills every 5 hours). This past month I had a shooting pain come from my right ovary. I've been told that I might have endometriosis,but I don't have insurance at the moment and so haven't been able to go to the doctor.

My faith in doctors has fallen because the last OBGYN I saw was a male( I do have a personal rule not to see male doctors when it comes to female problems,but my female doctor couldn't see me at that time) and during the exam he was so suppose to check for fibroids and he just glanced and then told me to " get dressed I don't see anything". The nurse and I looked at each other and then at him, because we knew he didn't even look. So afterwards I went to his office and he told "look you aren't the only one that has painful cycles, millions of women do. Just take two Advil and you will be fine." I was SO MAD!! All I could was hold back the tears.

I have reserched endometriosis and I do have most of the the symptoms. All of my mom's sisters(6) had painful periods and they would either blackout from the pain or be in the bed for days. My grandmother told me that their pain stopped when they had children. This was also the case for my cousins on mom's side of the family, once the gave birth their pain stopped. I though, don't want to have a child just to stop the pain. If I have children it's because I want them, not because of some health problem.

{removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 09-08-2005 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Please make a new thread for your questions so the original poster can get thiers answered.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
    djl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The only thing I could say is see another doctor !!! I can't beleive what he did to you.
    As for periods getting better after having children?? I was told the ssme thing...it never got better for me..only worse.
    My mother, sister, grandmother and aunt never had bad periods like me, but my half sister has painful periods. I don't think endo HAS to run in a family, but if it does it would make you a higher risk !!
    {removed} I was on Naproxen Sodium 550 for years !! I am 39 now and ended up with a Hyst.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 09-08-2005 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Please make a new thread for those questions.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
    HHJ
    (female)

HHJ HB User

I find it really ironic that you mention Naproxen Sodium. I too have suffered with Endometriosis for well over 10 years. I was not diagnosed until 2-3 years ago. The only thing that comes even close to getting me through the day with the pain is 2 generic Naproxen Sodium every 2-4 hours while I'm on my period. Then 2 Tylenol PM at night from the very beginning around the day I'm SUPPOSED to start my period.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:20 AM   #9
    djl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I lived on Naproxen Sodium 550 for mentral problems for YEARS !! But it eventualy stopped working for me, then i was put on Percasedt.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
    FairyMagick
    Inactive
    (female)

FairyMagick HB User

I recently started taking muscle relaxers for my Endo, they have helped me so much. I still have to take my regular pain meds during my period, but the muscle relaxers are very helpful and believe my pain is unbearable. So I am so glad to finally find something that can help.
    FairyMagick

Old 09-11-2005, 04:57 AM   #11
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User

You can still have children if you have endometriosis. I know a lady who was diagnosed a few years back, and now has two children. I think it just depends on the severity of the endo. My mother had endo, and had to have a complete hysterectomy.

Closed Thread