It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board

• endometriosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
    ellenjean
    (female)

ellenjean HB User
    Question endometriosis

Does anyone out there in peri-menopause also have endometriosis?
    I am so crampy and uncomfortable most of the time. I'm on HRT but it only worked for 3 months. I also have frequent bouts of irritable bowel. I guess this goes along with the endo. Anyone with similar problems and advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 06:12 AM   #2
    deinee
    Inactive
    (female)

deinee HB User
    Re: endometriosis

Hi,
    I have never had a lap to tell for sure if I have endo or not, but I've sure had all the symptoms. Now at 51, the symptoms are worse. Alot of lower abdominal pain, ovary pain, rectal discomfort, heavy periods and cramps. When I was younger the cramps during my periods would send me to bed for 2 days. I went on the pill at 16, which helped alot. I haven't taken the pill for years now, but started back on it 2 months ago to try to help with ovarian cysts I'm developing and very heavy non-stop periods. The perids are better, but the pain this month has been horrible. I think I must still be getting cysts. My doctor is a female and said her endo really flared up during peri. Hope this gets better when we are post menopuase. Take care, Ann

Old 03-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
    ellenjean
    (female)

ellenjean HB User

Thanks Cruiser for your input. I also haven't had a lap but my gyno said I was classic endo. I was on the bcp most of my adult life so about 5 years after going off it and starting peri-menopause is when the pain began.
    I also have the rectal pain which is very scarey. I'm 47 and am afraid this will last too many more years. I have an appt in 3 days at the gyno. Hope I can get some relief short of a hysterectomy.
    thanks again
    ellenjean

Old 03-26-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I have had endo since I was a teenager. I was only diagnosed a few years ago when I had a lap. But I have always had the symptoms of it and the lap confirmed it. I'm only 35 so I don't have the peri-menopausal symptoms but I do take the BCP for the pain and I take it on a continousis basis where I only let myself have a period every 4-6 months. I am pain free it's so great. I do get bad cramps when I have my period but that's hardly ever. I know I have heard though that they don't recommend taking the BCP when you are older because it raises your chance of getting a blood clot even higher. If they do a lap though it can get rid of the pain for 6 months to a year or even more though. They not only look for endo they put a small instrument in there that burns it away. It usually does grow back because it's very difficult for them to really get it all. If you happen to have a really good doctor that is very experienced in this though he would be better skilled to remove more of the endo.

I also wanted to mention that irritable bowel I have been dealing with for a few years now. I found the perfect thing. It works great for me anyway. Did you know that powder fiber like metamucil actually gets rid of diarrhea and constipation both. Since I started using it a couple tsp a day morning and evening my bowel problems are gone. The powder fiber is very absorbent and soaks up tons of water in the bowel so it stops diarrhea and since it absorbs so much water it causes things to move through better too. I just wanted to share that with you because I swear it's changed my life. I wish I had known about it a long time ago. I always thought the powder fiber was just to move things through faster but it works for both problems.

Closed Thread