HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Endometriosis (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/endometriosis/)
-   -   Anyone know about endometriosis and adhesions? Please help! (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/endometriosis/393837-anyone-know-about-endometriosis-adhesions-please-help.html)

shakorox 05-22-2006 10:13 AM

Anyone know about endometriosis and adhesions? Please help!

Hello,
I'm posting question for my wife here. Currently she is in constant pain she describes as a dull, hallow, aching. This has been progression for 4 months and interferes with everyday activities, it wakes her at night, and intimacy is to painful for her. The location is at the site of an inguinal hernia repair she had in 2002. However as I was reading the pathology report. Endometriosis was present in the specimen with the hernia.

I'm wondering, because of the nature of endometriosis, would there be an increased incidence of adhesion formation at the incision site?

I'm in contact with her sergeon (who fixed the hernia) who is hesitant to do an exploratory Laporascopy procedure to find the cause of the pain, due do it being an invasive procedure. He (the sergeon) wants my wife to follow-up with her GI doc to see if it is indeed gastro related. However, my wife just had a colonocsopy less than six months ago and is was clean as a wistle. Also she is not having any sypmtoms that suggest GI issues, like BM changes, blood in stool or any thing like that. She only has the constant pain, and it gets worse when she is fatigued. And is radiates from that incision spot.

I can't find anything on this on the internet and Healthboards has always been a help to me. So if anyone has any input, please let me know. If anyone has more questions I do my best to reply asap.

Thanks,
-Derek-

SRMom 05-22-2006 03:58 PM

Re: Anyone know about endometriosis and adhesions? Please help!

I have this problem too and I have been through the wringer trying to find an answer. I have an appt. to see a gastro doc in July (can't get in sooner) and I just finished with my gynecologist followup after I had a hysterectomy for endometriosis in January. She found endo, adenomyosis and fibroids and evidence of scarring from old endo adhesions...anyway, I'm still suffering from daily pain and now my primary care doc wants me to see a psychiatrist! This is frustrating...all I want is the pain to go away. It comes and goes, every day, starting out dull, and getting worse as the day goes on. Sometimes I think it could be related to gastro or urinary, other times, I think I'm having a weird muscle cramp/spasm in my my abdominal wall. I wish I could be more help.

If doctors suspect adhesions, they are less likely to want to do more surgery for fear of creating worse scarring. You must be persistent with them. It's good she has you to help advocate for her. I think my doctor thinks I'm a just a hysterical woman and he discounts my wishes. I've had to fight to get referrals and treatment.

shakorox 05-23-2006 07:53 AM

THanks,

I spoke with my wifes sergeon today and he agreed to do the exploratorly Lap. to see what is going on. Now I need to get ahold of her gyno. because she wanted to be present if a Lap. was to be performed. I also requested they have the laser in the OR, so that if they find anything they can zap it away without having to cut her open again. I hope I'm not missing anything.

Thanks again,
Derek

mys_star 05-23-2006 09:04 AM

i can sympathize here. I have endometriosis also, and now that I'm on the pill, the pain is very much under control! My doctor tried it as a last ditch effort because I wanted to avoid a hysterectomy. So far, all is good. Be sure to check out all of her options before deciding on surgery because you don't want for her to have to go under the knife if she don't have to!

SRMom 05-23-2006 09:05 AM

I'm impressed...sounds like you have it covered. Please keep us posted. Good luck.

kerri0500 05-23-2006 10:33 AM

good luck to all of you! i had a lap procedure for an inguinal hernia repair. they went in my belly button as well as both sides because he wanted to "look around" while I was under. I have the dull pain on the non-hernia side daily but i think it is scar tissue, as I had "holes" on all three sides. does that make sense to any of you?

djl 05-23-2006 12:01 PM

I wish your wife luck...I have been there too and it deffinately sounds like an Endo issue. Gastro problems like IBS do not wake you up in the middle of thenight.
Lets us know what happens

shakorox 05-23-2006 04:38 PM

Thanks ladies,
We're just waiting for a date. Her Gyno wants to be involved with the procedure as well, so everyones schedule has to jive :rolleyes: Hopefully it doesn't take too long to coordinate. I'l be sure to be politely persistant :D

Thanks again,
-Derek-

moltisanti 05-23-2006 05:13 PM

is endometriosis and endometrial polyps are one and the same?

my question is, can it be removed using medications? without surgery?

SRMom 05-24-2006 12:42 PM

Endometriosis is benign growth of endometrial tissue in an abnormal location, either in the uterine wall (called adenomyosis), or in the pelvic or abdominal cavity outside of the uterus. Removal can be attempted with laparoscopy, but often the endometriosis will return. It can be controlled with medication, usually starting with birth control pills. Other medication called Lupron, puts the patient into a temporary menopausal state which can stop the endo growth. In severe cases, hysterectomy is an option, but of course causes permanent infertility and surgical menopause.

An endometrial polyp would be an abnormal growth of the endometrium inside the uterus and can be benign, malignant or in between. Removal would likely be done by D and C and followup treatment would depend on the biopsy results.

sonic 05-24-2006 08:19 PM

;) First of all,,,,kudos to you for being so involved in your wifes health issues,,I can see you are a kind hearted man, that wants the best for his wife~~~ :)
I have endo as well,,& i had alot of pain,,Mostly during sex,,I decided it was time for a lap to get to the heart of the matter...It turns out I had ALOT of adhesions..my tube was fused to my bowel, bowel was fused to my uterus. :confused: After the lap I felt 100% better...I hope your wife has the same outcome~~~

~~Good luck!~

kerri0500 05-25-2006 09:52 AM

did they cut the adhesions or what? what was your original surgery that caused the scar tissue?

SRMom 05-25-2006 10:34 AM

I just want to interject that endometriosis can cause adhesions, so there isn't necessarily a history of surgical scarring to indicate the possibility of adhesions.

sonic 05-25-2006 11:38 AM

My surgical history is...in 1990 I had my tubes tied..1992 I had a "Diagnostic Lap" (just to confirm i had endo)
My last lap was in 98 to remove adhesions caused by the endo. My dr said I have stage 4 endo, so i just feel lucky that i have gone this long with NO surgery or hormone meds.

kerri0500 05-25-2006 12:12 PM

so you can get adhesions and scar tissue by having a laproscopic procedure right? Just wondering thats all

Belle2003 05-26-2006 05:46 PM

I have adhesions from two c-sections over 18 years ago. I would suffer terribly from lower abdominal pain. I was tested for ovarian cancer. To make a long story short, it was concluded that I have adhesions. The doctor said that if you have surgery to remove them, they may come back just from the surgery to remove them. What I have found that helps is stretching exercises. This somehow helps. I have read where exercise stretches the adhesions inside of you causing them to be less taunt. It has worked for me. I do various sit-ups, crunches, legs lifts, etc. I am now in better shape and pain free! When I have gotten lazy and quit the exercising, the pain has returned.

Izzybella 05-30-2006 09:23 PM

shakorox 06-01-2006 07:12 AM

So far we don't have an exact date. Her surgeon and gyno finally spoke to eachother yesterday. According to the surgeons office staff, they are waiting for the "paper-work". So it's been two weeks and four days since it was decided she would have the surgery and still no date. I've called the surgeon's office at least once a day every week day since three monday's ago. I feel bad for my wife because not only does she hurt but she's fustrated that they haven't given her a date yet. However, she spoke to her gyno yesterday and was told that the procedure would take place within the next "couple" of weeks. I've already called the surgeon's office this morning and they can't schedule anything until they get the "paper-work". I'll call back in a few hours and keep pestering them. That's the only update I have for now. Thanks to everyone for thier input.

Thanks again,
-Derek-

djl 06-01-2006 01:33 PM

I cant believe that it is taking this long. It only took 1 week to schedule with my doc and the hospital.

Well, hopefully it wont be to long.
Keep us updated.

sonic 06-06-2006 09:17 PM

Good luck derek,,,you & wife are in my thoughts~~~ :)

Izzzybella...is your dr considering removing the adhesions?...or will this only cause MORE scar tissue in the future? Its like a no-win situation..sorry you are suffering. (((hugs)))