It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board

• dysmenorrhea or endometriosis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
    anilorak
    (female)

anilorak HB User
    Question dysmenorrhea or endometriosis?

Hello there. I need some advice from all you endo sufferers. My health insurance will not be effective until late next month, so I wanted to see if you guys could point me in the right direction.

Here are my symptoms:
    * EXTREME pain with periods since age 12. (I'm 22 now)
    * Pain seems to have gotten worse in last couple of months.
    * Thick and dark discharge about 1 week before actual period starts, and lasts for about 5 days. (This has been the case for my last 2 cycles.)
    * Some cramping starts before period, but intense pain begins with flow. I have often missed work or school because I can't get out of the fetal position.
    * Loose stools with beginning of period. Sometimes constipation.
    * Mild-moderate cramping with urination.
    * Heavy bloating
    * No real pain with intercourse

I'm wondering if these could be symptoms of endometriosis or if it's just dysmenorrhea (menstrual pain) and nothing to worry about. I've dealt with the pain for most of my life.. but what stands out right now is the odd discharge before my period. It definitely doesn't seem normal. I understand that the only way to be sure that you have endo is to have a lap, but I just want some advice from people who might have similar symptoms. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User
    Re: dysmenorrhea or endometriosis?

If I were you, I would go to the gynecologist for a checkup, tell him/her what you've told us, and discuss having your hormones checked and possibly going on the pill to regulate your periods. You may have fibroids or endo or something like that, but trying the pill would be the first step.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
    djl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User
    Re: dysmenorrhea or endometriosis?

Hi
    I agree with SR Mom...see a OB try the pill also try anti-inflamitories for the pain. You have to get a perscription from your OB.

The pain you have is not normal. I started my period at 13 and suffered like that too. I was also told it was Dys by my OB at about your age. I also suffered from all that you were saying as well as severe ovulation pain. I also had the pain when urinating. It would be on either my left or right side. I also was very irregular too. I also did the laying in fetal position, out of work got real sick when I had my period. The whole ten yards!!
    Well, at the age of 39 one year ago I was dx with Adenomyosis and PCOS.

Closed Thread