It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board

• Osteopenia, Actonel, Endometriosis, scared - really need some advice please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2003, 08:24 AM   #1
    moonbeams

moonbeams HB User
    Smile Osteopenia, Actonel, Endometriosis, scared - really need some advice please

Hello all

I am 41 and have Endometriosis and osteopenia,
    t score -2.25.

On and off since 1997 I have been taking drugs for endometriosis which have caused my loss in bone density. I also have family history of osteoporosis.

i have now been told to take Actonel but looking into it and after reading all the messages about it i am terrified to touch it.

I take a lot of pain medication including nsaid's (ibuprofen) and Voltrol for the endometriosis but have read that taking these with Actonel can increase stomach problems?

I have also read that you should consult a doc if you are taking calcium supplements while on Actonel?

Due to the pain from the Endo i have just started another course of drugs for it,-same as before, (yes it's madness i know, but i need to control the pain) it is a Gnrh called Synarel and am supposed to take the Actonel with this. The doc only let me have the endo drug again if i promise to take the Actonel.

I was scared about Actonel before but taking the 2 together is very scarey.

I really don't want to take the Actonel but i don't know what to do, will diet and excercise be enough, my consultant will not be happy if he thinks i haven't taken it, and i won't be happy if my bones crumble, but those side effects sound awful, and far to common.

If anyone has any advice it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2003, 08:41 AM   #2
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    Seems to me that it is more important that you, rather than your consultant, be happy. You do not owe him/her anything (except the fee).

If I were you I would do a lot of research as well as read threads on this board. You will feel more confident making a decision if you are more informed about your choices.

All the best!

Old 06-23-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
    Cheryl Ann

Cheryl Ann HB User
    Hi, I had a bad reaction to the actonal, and know many others that have had problems with it. It is really best that you do what you feel is right for you. If you have a problem with different medications, read everything you can about actonal, and then make your decision. Remember your doctor does not have to go through a reaction, you do. If you are taking a medication that is not recommended to take along with actonel, well don't take the actonel, it just isn't worth the agony. I have severe osteoporosis and am now on Miacalcin nasal spray for it. I am having a few problems with the nasal spray, but they are mild and I need the medication badly. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-24-2003, 09:16 AM   #4
    LancasterRose

LancasterRose HB User
    Can you take once-a-week Fosamax rather than Actonal?

I have been on Fosamax for about 9 mos. and so far so good. A lady I know who has been on once-a-week Fosamax for 2 years, who has increased her bone density, and who has had no problems with Fosamax said she: 1) drinks a little water BEFORE taking the Fosamax, 2) follows the Fosamax with 2 GLASSES of water, and then 3) waits to eat longer than the recommended 1/2 hour ~ that 1, 1-1/2 to 2 hours is better (she learned at a seminar). So I have done the same. I use the time to get on the Internet, walk a mile on my treadmill, and/or shower and put myself together for the day. (I also wait 2 hours before I take any other medication.)

Don't be scared. The inserts have all these horrible side effects listed, which may or MAY NOT happen to you. So just go forward. I'm more scared of crumbling bones.

Pay attention to the proper amount of Calcium you are taking in everyday (either supplement w/Vit. D or in foods--milk, chocolate milk, orange juice w/Calcium, cottage cheese, etc. and sunshine for your "D"). Make sure you get weightbearing exercise every day. (I aim to walk at least 5 days a week/10 miles per week ~ often fall short, but...)

Wish you the best.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:19 AM   #5
    moonbeams

moonbeams HB User
    Smile

Thanks for all your replies

i haven't decided what to do yet. I opted for the Actonel over the fosomax as the side effects didn't look as bad, but i think they are more or less the same from what i have read. i'ts all very scarey.

I shall keep reading the board and learn as much as i can.

Thanks again

Take care
    x moonbeam x

Closed Thread