It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board

• Is a pelvic exam nessicary when screening for endometriosis? Scared to death

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
    PonyLover375
    (female)

PonyLover375 HB UserPonyLover375 HB User
    Exclamation Is a pelvic exam nessicary when screening for endometriosis? Scared to death

Hi everyone
    i've had undiagnosed pain in the area of my appendix for going on 4 months and they've ruled out everything so i'll be going to a gynecologist because my doctor thinks i could have endometriosis.

Would they do a pelvic exam with the speculum and all that? i'm 14 and scared to death of that. Thank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    smile

Last edited by PonyLover375; 04-21-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
    hopelaf
    (female)

hopelaf HB User
    Re: Is a pelvic exam nessicary when screening for endometriosis? Scared to death

You'd be pretty surprised. At 17, I was diagnosed with endometriosis, I've had maybe 6 pelvic exams, and they did absolutely nothing to diagnose me. My GYN (a very trained Dr. as well) told me the only way to truly identify endo is to go in laparoscopically to take a look. I've had MRI's, CT scans, bloodwork, horomone tests, everything except (for some odd reason) an ultrasound. The CT scan showed my right ovary as "fuzzy" I had severe acute pain in my right lower abdomen (scariest night of my life) and I wasn't diagnosed until 5 months later after the severe acute pain kept recurring. You have to be very persistant in diagnosis, especially because of your age.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
    PonyLover375
    (female)

Re: Is a pelvic exam nessicary when screening for endometriosis? Scared to death

ok thanks i've had an appendix ct, a full abdominal ct with iv contrast, an ultrasound of the ovaries, a gall bladder ultrasound, a HIDA (gall bladder function test), a upper gi with small bowel follow through and tons of bloodwork and they have found nothing.
    in the case that they did do a pelvic exam, are they painful? I'm new to all this woman stuff (lol)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    smile

Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
    hopelaf
    (female)

hopelaf HB User

Pelvic exams shouldn't be painful, they are usually pretty quick. I find if I'm extremely bloated, It's very uncomfortable. I had all those tests at age 10 (I hit puberty at 9), and they removed my gall bladder, but they never gave my parents a reason.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
    PonyLover375
    (female)

o ok thanks (:
    I only just got my period in july of 2010...is it common to have endometriosis when you've only had it for such a short time? My symptoms don't really change near my period either...but i dont know much about endometriosis.

smile

Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
    hopelaf
    (female)

hopelaf HB User

From my pain history, my doctors believe I've had it since I've hit puberty. I don't think this disease really discriminates with age like most people tend to believe. My symptoms aren't affected by my period either. I'm just as likely to have severe acute pain in my sides on any given day w/ or w/out my period. However, my cramping and bleeding are very heavy with my period. I didn't see them as heavy because it's always been that way. Usually, my cramping is about a 7 during my period. I can usually make it to class with difficulty. I say if you have diarrhea associated with your period, that's a very tell-tale sign of endometriosis.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
    PonyLover375
    (female)

ok.
    I dont have diarrhea and my periods are very very light... it's just really hard to tell i guess. At this point there's nothing left for them to look for so maybe that's it. I'm extremely scared about getting a pelvic exam (if they do one) but im willing to do it if it gets me closer to having answer becausae this pain is awful and wont go away.

smile

Closed Thread