It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board

• MCS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2003, 07:36 PM   #1
    dchc OI

dchc OI HB User
    Post MCS

Any of you have MCS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
    ny01
    (male)

ny01 HB User
    Yes, I have MCS and am looking for relief. It started about a year and a half ago and I have found no relief. Any help from anyone is appreciated. Cheers.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:17 PM   #3
    MrsC

MrsC HB User
    I have become sensitive to perfume and some ingredients in furniture polishes, herbal lotions, etc. Most cosmetics and cleaners contain tons of synthetic chemicals with offgass and react badly with our immune systems. I suggest eliminating cleaning products with all those chemicals and new carpet is a big offender, with about 200 chemicals in them. Go for hard floors and a cotton throw rug you can wash. You can find things on the net for safer paints, body shampoos, etc. Don't give up! Just avoid as many synthetic and perfumed products as you can. Also it's safer for your pets/children if you have them in your home.

Old 04-12-2003, 03:35 PM   #4
    dee33

dee33 HB User
    Smile

Quote:
    Originally posted by ny01:
    Yes, I have MCS and am looking for relief. It started about a year and a half ago and I have found no relief. Any help from anyone is appreciated. Cheers.
    I have MCS, which was quite bad when my workplace moved to another building, and was painting, gluing carpet, varnishing, and using other toxic fumes. My doctors increased my dose of milk thistle to help the liver, started me on this detoxifying powder called UltraClear, and had me do saunas to sweat out the toxins. I felt that each of these helped.

Dee

Old 04-14-2003, 02:24 PM   #5
    ny01
    (male)

ny01 HB User
    Dee,

Do you still have the MCS after you used the milk thistle and Ultraclear? Any info is soo appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

Old 04-14-2003, 03:41 PM   #6
    dee33

dee33 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by ny01:
    Dee,

Do you still have the MCS after you used the milk thistle and Ultraclear? Any info is soo appreciated. Thanks.

Rob
    I still have MCS at a low level. I took those things along with the saunas, when the workplace toxins made me so ill that I almost couldn't function and was barely able to breathe. And I was within a week or 2 of quitting work because I didn't want to get to the point of being unable to work for months, and I was almost at that point.

The things I took reversed that condition, back to where I just have the minor MCS, which I believe might eventually go away as I continue to treat my adrenal glands (which I believe is the ultimate cause in my case).

My doctor got me on the UltraClear and the saunas. He has a patient who is much worse than I am, and that patient may have gone through more rigorous treatment than I.

How long have you had MCS? How bad is it? What things are triggers for you? What are you doing for treatment?

Dee

Old 04-14-2003, 05:57 PM   #7
    dee33

dee33 HB User
    Rob,

Actually, one thing I just thought of. I think the MCS treatment did help me more than I realized. I used to go through department stores with perfume, and I would get very ill from it. Now I go through the perfume area, but it doesn't affect me to the extreme it did 3 years ago.

So something has gotten better over time. I couldn't tell you exactly which treatment did it though.

You need to find a doctor familiar with the condition and try several things. I don't believe there is a miracle cure.

Dee

[This message has been edited by dee33 (edited 04-14-2003).]

Old 10-01-2003, 03:36 PM   #8
    ny01
    (male)

ny01 HB User
    Dee,

Have you been still doing well with the multiple chemical sensitivities?

Rob

Old 10-26-2003, 03:36 PM   #9
    Sophina

Sophina HB User
    I became multiple chemical sensitive about 12 years ago. I have never been able to do much about it. I continue to suffer worse each year. I was exposed to high levels of formaldehyde and I had silicone breast implants. I stopped working at the factory about 14 years ago and I had the implants removed but I continue to suffer from exposure to about all chemicals now. I live with a constant headache and I get horrible migraines when I eat some foods and breathe certain chemicals in cleaning products etc. My nasal passages swell shut even though I have had three sinus surgeries and the ENT says they can't cut any more out. I am now having weird ear problems, which I think have something to do with my immune system. I try my best to avoid chemicals, but they are everywhere.. I personally feel that we are being poisoned every day by the chemicals in our invironment.
    I know I feel like I am being poisoned all the time. Headache, nausea, dizzy, confused and many other odd feelings.

Old 10-30-2003, 05:52 PM   #10
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Sophina, I also have what I consider as an environmental illness or MCS. I feel that I became more sensitive during a sinus infection that I had several years ago, which I let go too long before I finally got rid of it. I got tired of taking antibiotics and said the hell with it. Wrong choice! I noticed that, during the infection, trace amounts of smoke or chemicals would really make me sick, and it just got worse until I took antibiotics. Since then, as you know, I've found another way of getting rid of sinus infections.

My main reactions to an irritant are:

Heartbeat starts jumping and becoming erratic.

I start to sweat badly.

My blood pressure goes up.

I become fatigued, weak and/or lightheaded.

I become nauseated.

Most difficult for me is that I become much more sensitive at night after about 8pm, and remain sensitive until about 2am in the morning.

I've learned a lot about how to deal with my MCS. Most of my solution is avoidance. Easier said then done, right?

I wouldn't mind comparing notes. Do you get similar reactions? Have you found some solutions? What do you do?

By the way, any luck with the "upside down" sinus irrigation?

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-02-2003, 07:03 PM   #11
    Sophina

Sophina HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beerzoids
    Sophina, I also have what I consider as an environmental illness or MCS. I feel that I became more sensitive during a sinus infection that I had several years ago, which I let go too long before I finally got rid of it. I got tired of taking antibiotics and said the hell with it. Wrong choice! I noticed that, during the infection, trace amounts of smoke or chemicals would really make me sick, and it just got worse until I took antibiotics. Since then, as you know, I've found another way of getting rid of sinus infections.

My main reactions to an irritant are:

Heartbeat starts jumping and becoming erratic.

I start to sweat badly.

My blood pressure goes up.

I become fatigued, weak and/or lightheaded.

I become nauseated.

Most difficult for me is that I become much more sensitive at night after about 8pm, and remain sensitive until about 2am in the morning.

I've learned a lot about how to deal with my MCS. Most of my solution is avoidance. Easier said then done, right?

I wouldn't mind comparing notes. Do you get similar reactions? Have you found some solutions? What do you do?

By the way, any luck with the "upside down" sinus irrigation?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dang, I had this long response and I lost it. LOL,, anyway.. this will be shorter...

I started having a burning sensation in my nasal passages about 12 years ago. It progressed into my nose swelling shut and headaches that sent me to ER about every two weeks. All they could do for me was give me shots of Demeral and Vistral.I have been to Mayos, Virginia Mason in Seattle and Northwestern in Chicago and noone can seem to find out what's wrong. I went to an allergist and he said no allergys. I have had three sinus surgeries so I can breathe through my nose. By my own trial and error, I have found that it's chemicals. If I consume, or breathe some chemicals I become very ill. I can't eat yellow cheese or use most cleaning chemicals. Gasoline is lethal to me. MGS is a no, no too. When I am exposed to a chemical that I react to, my nose swells shut and I lose part of my voice due to swelling. I get nauseated, sweaty and confused. I become depressed and sometimes I have a panic attack. It takes me three or four days to get over the attack. Even then, I have had a continuous headache for the last 12 years with it just unbearable after an exposure. I have told my husband many times that I feel like I am being poisoned. We had our home checked for toxins and our vehicles. Of course we found nothing. I have found nothing to help me except that Imitrex injections eases the pain in my head some. I carry my Imitrex injections with me all the time. I also have done a cleansing program. I try to eat foods with lots of antioxyidents. I have never had a sinus infection in my life. When I did the irrigation, nothing came out but water. I do irrigate with a saline solution quite often though. It doesn't seem to help though. Yes, my heart acts up too. I was put on an event heart monitor for three weeks once. It showed that I had an irrigular heart beat. I know it's related to the chemicals too. My own personal opinion is: I once worked in a clothing factory and I was exposed to unsafe levels of Formaldhyde and I had silicone breast implants that had ruptured and the silicone spread all through my body. I feel my body is just overloaded with chemicals and is not able to rid itself of them.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:55 PM   #12
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Unhappy Chemical sensitivities

Hi Sophina, you said: "I went to an allergist and he said no allergys."

To me, there is very little distinction between chemical "sensitivities" and chemical "allergies". When an allergist says that you don't have allergies, but then you suffer a severe reaction to a chemical irritant, either that allergist doesn't know what he is doing, or he doesn't want to put out any additional effort to get your money. It really angers me.

You said: "If I consume, or breathe some chemicals I become very ill."

There are chemicals in furniture, clothes, bedding, ink, magazines, building materials, etc. Almost everywhere you go, there are chemicals. The government has made tests of most commonly used chemicals, and has found a lot of chemicals that are harmful to humans.

You said: "When I am exposed to a chemical that I react to, my nose swells shut and I lose part of my voice due to swelling. I get nauseated, sweaty and confused."

Do you ever check your blood pressure or heat rate/beat when this happens? Just curious. When I react to chemicals, it goes straight to my heart.

You said: "It takes me three or four days to get over the attack."

Same here, but in a different way. It can take my heart three or four days to get back to normal after becoming irritated. I also have sinusitis. After an infection, it takes about three days for my sinuses to get better after an "upside down" peroxide irrigation treatment.

You said: "Even then, I have had a continuous headache for the last 12 years with it just unbearable after an exposure. I have told my husband many times that I feel like I am being poisoned.

That is awful! My wife had constant 24 hour headaches, which came from ear surgery. She had two Acupuncture treatments, and the headaches are now gone.

Have you ever considered that it could be your clothing and/or beding that could be making you miserable? The dyes and chemicals that are put into clothing, such as fire retardants, cause me much misery.

You said: "I have never had a sinus infection in my life."

In my case, I've had many, MANY sinus infections. I believe that once we have become sensitized by an untreated, chronic infection, that sensitization can stay with us forever.

Thanks for your response to my note. Take care. I hope you find a solution to your MCS misery.

Last edited by Machaon; 04-06-2007 at 05:25 AM.

Old 11-05-2003, 05:58 PM   #13
    Sophina

Sophina HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beerzoids
    Of course, direct chemical reaction, such as to an acid on your skin, is not an allergy. Same as if someone is allergic to a hammer, but gets hit on the head by the hammer, that person can't claim that the knot on the top of his head was an allergic reaction.

But...... What do you call the reaction of someone who's symptoms get worse when he touches or inhales certain chemicals? Suppose someone touches a magazine, and the chemicals on that magazine causes the person to wheeze, and causes his heartbeat to go nuts?
    It was explained to me in this way..... Allergy means that something causes the histamines in your body to attack the foreigner. Such as pollens... When we react to a chemical, there is no histamine attack. It is more like we are poisoned. That is the reason allergy medicines don't help us. They stop the histamines and with poison, there are none. We call our chemical reactions Chemical Sensitivity. I call it "Chemical Intolerance". I know I have never had a sinus infection because I have never had any drainage, fever, or any of the usual infection symptoms. I just have swelling. If anything, my nasal passages and sinuses are too dry. When they look in my sinuses with the scope, all they see is thickening.. no infection. However.. to say never is rather strong. :-) I have never had one to my knowledge...

Last edited by moderator2; 11-14-2003 at 02:48 PM.

Closed Thread