It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board

Question about mold and nervous system disorders

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
TEdds83's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 1,948
TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Question about mold and nervous system disorders

I was wondering...can you develope a nervous system disorder like muscle twitches, sensative nerve endings like burning sensations and tingling due to being exposed to mold?

Here is my story in a nut shell. A couple years back I rented a 100 year old farm house. My 2 daughters and I lived there for about 3 years. During that time I was sick ALOT with my allergies. I could smell mold. The basement was old, dark, damp and creepy. I finally decided to run a test I ordered of the internet. The landlord refused to help me with any of this. I caught air from the vents in petrie dishes and placed them in a shoebox under they bed. They grew huge mold spores and I mailed them into the lab. They said the mold was penicillan but not in the harmful dangerous sense. I beg to differ. I luckily bought a new house with the new husband I married and felt much better. But as we got into the new house I deveopled hypothyroidism. Oddly enough my friend happened to mention to me that he and his wife became very ill and had memory problems while renting a house with mold in the walls. He too had become hypothyroid. I don't think it is a coincidence. Now I am scared that I have neurologic damage or something from this. I finally have an appointment with a neurologist in 3 days.

Does anyone know of problems that develope down the road from this mold situation. I am afraid it will be a lifetime of health problems for me. I am just sick about this. Please people try not to live in a moldy house!

Last edited by TEdds83; 05-04-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 05-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 48
moldman HB User
Re: Question about mold and nervous system disorders

Hi T,

When I read in a pathophysiology book about Serum Sickness it made everything clear to me.

Serum Sickness can occur from vaccinations or antibiotics.

It is called a multi-organ systemic disease that can affect any organ and/or the connective tissue. Connective tissue is a fancy word for blood vessels, tendons, ligaments and bones. Since blood vessels go everywhere the damage can go anywhere.

My interpretation of mold 'intoxication' is the same as that of being given antibiotics. Antibiotics are made from the chemicals that mold gives off to kill everything in the area that it grows. Anti = against, bio = life. Whichever organ is the most sensitive to chemical damage will be the first to go.

Since all organs are connected, the other organs will try to take up the load from the one that was damaged. That puts them in overdrive and if they run out of juice then the next organ will be affected by the mold exotoxins (chemicals).

That's typically how it goes - like dominoes.

What you have described seems to be limited to one 'focal' organ - your thyroid. There is T1, T2, T3, T4 iodine-based hormones and intermediates and they have down-the-line influence on the other organs of the body. I heard once that T1 (monoiodothyroxine) has an impact on the Central Nervous system, so, if your thyroid was impaired it might explain why there are neurological complications.

Supporting the thyroid to help it do its job would be a good start. If high sodium (salt) is not a problem the seaweed Kelp might help. You will need some professional input since many people can be allergic to iodine. Many doctors are so lax that they don't do panels to look for antithyroid antibodies.

Mold remediation/avoidance, eliminating starch and moldy food from diet with addition of vitamin C (it is a blood thinner) might help in the short term.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-04-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
TEdds83's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 1,948
TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Question about mold and nervous system disorders

Thanks Moldman! I appreciate your imput! I am really feeling like almost all my health issues are from the MOLD house! I am so ANGRY about it! But it will do no good know. I will just have a more complicated life that I will have to treat with great care. I was FINE until I moved into that house, then everything went kaput! Starting from the thyroid. I am not sure what the neurologist will find out concerning my issues, but I will get to the bottom of it. I hope it will be something I can manage. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Eastlands o
Posts: 98
sharewithme HB User
Re: Question about mold and nervous system disorders

Dear T-

I too was poisoned by penecillium mold, am severely sensitive/allergic to it. My symptoms, including a T3 absorption (thyroid) problem, have improved so long as I avoid toxic mold (& toxic chemical) exposures.

I have categorized my early onset symptoms in order to pin point exposures -- has been a real life saver. An important symptom I never ignore is tingling or vibrating or buzzing in feet and hands, and the hard to explain feeling much like a wave of energy passing through me. I leave immediately and then try to figure out where it came from. For me these are the early warning bells which allow me to stay safe in the world. Over and over and over again, experience has proven that when I feel these, I must pay attention immediately or risk getting and staying sick again.

I figured out that only two things cause the neurological symptoms just described to persist. One is that I took a really serious exposure, am highly toxic from it, need to detox asap, do everything available to heal from within like MM is suggesting. If it was mold, you can get an experienced Dr to test for levels in your blood. The other reason is that something I had with me was contaminated and it is continuing to cause exposures. This begs the question, do you have the same mattress? Pillows? Comforter? Sofa? A lot of paperwork while living there still in your possession? All these can harbor the spore and even once it dies it will continue to make the poisoned person sick.

I hope this helps you. I found it unbelievably necessary to see Drís experienced in environmental illnesses, especially mold toxicity, in order to get correct diagnosis and necessary help as many are not trained in broad range of symptoms mold and chemicals can cause, like the ones you describe. Consequently they will often mis-diagnose and the ill person remains sick.

In peace,

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Does anyone who has sensitivity to mold spores have teeth that hurt? tiredsoul Environmental Disorders 29 10-08-2011 07:20 AM
Mold problems suggi Environmental Disorders 67 12-16-2007 02:58 PM
very sick...toxic mold???? klj700 Environmental Disorders 11 10-17-2007 08:02 PM
Need help might be sick from mold charandray General Health 4 03-18-2006 06:20 AM
Mold Poisoning Am I Dieing? jennyVee Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD 15 12-29-2005 03:49 PM
toxic mold lil'missdiagnosis Environmental Disorders 54 10-23-2005 02:33 PM
Shorline this may seem like a STUPID Question SpinalMalady Pain Management 14 11-09-2004 02:31 PM
Shoreline, tolerance question twisten Pain Management 6 10-22-2004 04:40 PM
**Mold Diagnosis/Symptoms** i_care Brain & Nervous System Disorders 5 07-24-2002 02:38 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!