It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Deja vu and seizure before period?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
    Lindsayv05
    (female)

Lindsayv05 HB User
    Deja vu and seizure before period?

I'm 31 and just got home from the er. every month before my period I have been getting these weird déjà vu sensations where a rush comes over me. Today it seemed worse and I started talking to my husband during one but didn't make sense. The er just checked my vitals and suggested that I talk to my gyn. I've heard cream can help? Anyone with similar problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
    Ebbyyy
    (female)

Ebbyyy HB User
    Smile Re: Deja vu and seizure before period?

Hello, I'm new here and just wanted to respond. I seem to have my grand mal at least once a month which is enough. It seems to happen before or after my period. I have been on five different meds. I can't seem to find a neurologist who gives a damn in my area who will take the time to work with me. Last appt. I had he just asked me when my last seizure was, didn't make a medication change or increase. There is a such thing as hormones causing seizures. My gynecologist recommended hormone therapy or having a hysterectomy. I haven't done either yet as I didn't want to rule out anything. Let me know your thoughts.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
    Prairie Fairie
    (female)

Prairie Fairie HB User
    Re: Deja vu and seizure before period?

Some females can experience seizures just prior to or at the onset of their period. It's the change in hormones. Deja vu is not uncommon. I've experienced the opposite:Jamais vu (everything seem alien). Both can occur before a seizure. Seizures come in a lot of shapes and varieties. Have you seen a neurologist? Have you been diagnosed with a seizure disorder? Disordered speech can also be a sign of a seizure, but it can be a sign of other things as well.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
    OrangeAugust
    (female)

OrangeAugust HB User

It's called Catamenial Epilepsy, and I have the same problem. My gyno prescribed me birth control pills for it, but it didn't work. My neuro just said to take an extra Keppra pill around that time of the month.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:31 AM   #5
    Littlemsgiggles
    (female)

Littlemsgiggles HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
    It's called Catamenial Epilepsy, and I have the same problem. My gyno prescribed me birth control pills for it, but it didn't work. My neuro just said to take an extra Keppra pill around that time of the month.
    Hi, I have had 3 or 4 seizures that I know of and they've all happened during my period. My neurologist said that I shouldn't take birth control pills because they cause a fluctuation in your hormone levels. She said to use an iud or patch if I needed to use birth control because it's something that's consistent. Otherwise she said I was fine not taking any. She also said with all of the different meds they have now, not many people suggest or have hysterectomies because of their seizures.

Reply Reply

Tags
    deja vu, period, seizure