It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Medications , sleep and Melatonin

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-25-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
    BAHAMAS
    (male)

BAHAMAS HB User
    Medications , sleep and Melatonin

I have noticed that whenever I have been on certain medications my sleep is either better or worse .

I would like to find out if Lamictal , Gabapentin or any other seizure medication takes away Melatonin from your system.

I have found that Gabapentin makes me dopey/drowsy in the morning but with the addition of Melatonin I am even more dopey/drowsy in the morning . At the moment I am taking Lamictal 150 mgs per day and gabapentin 1,200 mgs per day. Is there any particular dose of Melatonin that any of you would recommend. I also wake up a couple of times per night should I take Melatonin each of these times or is it addicting. Lastly is there any other types of natural over-the-counter medications I can take besides Melatonin ?.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2019, 04:44 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Medications , sleep and Melatonin

I have been on Gapepentin and it makes me crazy tired. None of these drugs remove melatonin from your body, but they can all disrupt your sleep cycle. Talk to your doctor about the time of day you are taking them and how to get a better night's rest. My doctor had me stop taking it after 4 pm in order to sleep through the night.

Reply Reply