It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• changing medication, going from dilantin to zonegran

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2003, 07:59 PM   #1
    JB31

JB31 HB User
    changing medication, going from dilantin to zonegran

Went to my neruologist and I requested to have my medicine changed because my dilantin level was low and I had not missed any of my pills. I think my body was getting use to the Dilantin and the medicine wasn't working anymore. He put me on zonegran 100mg. Starting tomorrow, (first week 4 Dilantin, 1 Zonegran), (2nd week, 3 Dilantin, 2 zonegran),(3rd Week, 2 Dilantin, 3 zonegran), (4th week, 1 Dilantin, 3 zonegran),(5th 0 Dilantin, 3 zonegran). Come off the dilantin slow and slowly take in the zonegran. Wanting to know if anybody out there has tried this new medicine and what they thought about it.
    As for work it looks like they want me to stay out 30 days to let the medicine get use to my body and make sure eveything is going to be ok.
    Thanks for any replies...........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2003, 10:28 PM   #2
    MandiX

MandiX HB User
    good luck w/ the meds switch. my neuro just tried to put me on 100mg of zonsamide(same as zonegran) on top of the 400mg of carbatrol i'm on a day... it made me so drugged, sick, sluggish, confused... i mixed up works, i repeated myself. so its been a lil over a week and I stopped it. we're going to try something else i guess. :-P

Last edited by MandiX; 11-11-2003 at 10:29 PM.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:14 AM   #3
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User
    My son took Zonegran for 1 1/2 years and did ok. He had tried Dilantin, Tegretol, Depakote and Dilantin SR before this one.
    He seemed to do best on lower doses, I think that is an anomaly with him. He had less side effects on it as long as he stayed on lower doses. He was able to think and work much better on it than on the others.

I know med switches are awful and you feel so bad at first with 2 meds in your system. Remember that it is not uncommon to have some breakthrough seizures in this process also. Hang in there. Hope the Zonegran is good for you and controls your seizures.

Old 11-12-2003, 08:56 PM   #4
    Sam'smom

Sam'smom HB User
    This encourages me to hear another child doing ok on Zonogran. My 10yo daughter, diagnosed a year ago, has been on Lamictal. No side effects, but no real end to her absence seizures, either. The doctor just switched her to Zonogran - we're supposed to begin on Sunday (tapering off Lamictal) but after reading up on Z, I wasn't sure. Has your son experienced any of the horrid side effects?

I just found this board and it's very encouraging to find others in much the same boat.

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:06 PM   #5
    JB31

JB31 HB User
    Thanks for the replies.......I'll probably be out of work for a month due to me changing mediciation. I'll probably be glad I'm at home instead of work if I have any side effects while switching. Hope this does the trick.

Thanks........

Old 11-13-2003, 03:25 AM   #6
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User
    Hi Sam'smom, Glad you found this place! (I am mother to Sam too!)
    My son did not have any horrible side effects. WHen we tried to stop seizures by raising the dose higher, he did have a lot of trouble thinking and some more anger. He never had rages on it like he did on Depakote and Dilantin. He did stay a bit skinny, so we added Carnation shakes and that kind of thing. For the most part this was the better of all the meds we tried for him. He may try Keppra at some point, but I would rather go back to Zonegran since he felt best on that....

HOpe it stops those Absence seizures for your Samuel!

Old 11-19-2003, 01:59 AM   #7
    Sam'smom

Sam'smom HB User
    Hi Kayakmom -

Actually, my Sam is a Samantha.
    So far, so good. She's been on Zonagran for 3 days now (I know that's not long) but so far, nothing has changed. I, however, am feeling the stress as though she were feeling major side effects! If she so much as mentions feeling a tad ill, I think it must be the side effects kicking in. So I need to chill out. She's fine. Thanks for writing!

Old 11-19-2003, 05:58 AM   #8
    JB31

JB31 HB User
    I've been on the zonegran for one week now and no problems as of yet. Actually I feel pretty darn good. But starting today I go from 4 Dilantin to 3 and from 1 zonegran to 2 so things might change but I hope not.
    Hope everybody has a safe Thanksgiving!

Old 11-19-2003, 06:46 AM   #9
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User
    Hope things go well for both Sam and the others trying Zonegran. Glad to hear that it is ok so far!

Closed Thread