It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• seizure triggers for people

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2003, 11:22 AM   #1
    camrab05

camrab05 HB User
    seizure triggers for people

I was wondering what kinds of things trigger different people. I know when I was younger, it used to be certain smells, but not the same one all the time. Now, it's usually colors, or things to do with what I see that trigger seizures. Sometimes print will trigger them, but not all the time. Bright lights will also, and sometimes being in a department store or grocery store and things look so overwhelming in there, piled up so high. What are other triggers people get?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
    KaitiePrincess

KaitiePrincess HB User
    Re: seizure triggers for people

For me its "Things That Are Wrong" and thats the best way to explain it. Once I was following a tow truck that was towing a car, Not Only did it look like the car was driving backwards - but it was being towed REALLY crooked, so I was gone right away.

Flashing or Repetitive motions. The absolute WORST and I have to try really hard here is when it's raining so I've got the front wipers going, AND the back wiper going...and I'm somehow drawn to those two - and I'm like back and forth, THEN I end up going through the tunnel with the lights going flash - flash -flash as I pass them....so yeah - that gets REALLY ugly.

And the surefire way - Not even strobe lights - but BLACK lights. We had one in the car for a while (we're young, we're allowed!) yeah...so much for THAT! Everytime it came on...couldn't finish a sentence, CP after CP!

I'm sure there are others
    Love Kaitie

Old 12-02-2003, 06:05 PM   #3
    MandiX

MandiX HB User

computer screens (i use and LCD screen) and floresent lights that flash really fast.

Old 12-02-2003, 07:00 PM   #4
    Rebecca's Mom
    (female)

Rebecca's Mom HB User

My daughters seizures can be triggered by loud noises ie.dog barking,sneezing,dropping something on the floor. If warned, it can sometimes be avoided.....Paula

Old 12-05-2003, 06:42 AM   #5
    radasjewel

radasjewel HB User

My main triggers are strobes, flickering lights, hyperventalating and deep breathing and the real biggy for me is high emotional stress. Fine with average stress at work but anything that involves my feelings well I go off. I keep telling friends and family don't upset me I might go off!!
    Lori

Old 12-05-2003, 10:33 AM   #6
    bruised

bruised HB User

My brother's triggers are police and firetruck flashing lights,strobe lights,focussing on the computer for too long,video games,and stress.With the stress we find if he dwells on something that makes him angry, he almost has one but not a full one.

Now that it's christmas though,do you think that the flashing lights on the trees would cause him to have one??Or the outside house lights because there's so many close together?HMM,just a thought and question I thought I would ask.Didn't think of the christmas lights till now.

Old 12-07-2003, 03:29 AM   #7
    camrab05

camrab05 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bruised
    My brother's triggers are police and firetruck flashing lights,strobe lights,focussing on the computer for too long,video games,and stress.With the stress we find if he dwells on something that makes him angry, he almost has one but not a full one.

Now that it's christmas though,do you think that the flashing lights on the trees would cause him to have one??Or the outside house lights because there's so many close together?HMM,just a thought and question I thought I would ask.Didn't think of the christmas lights till now.

Thanks for posting everyone. I found that since before Thanksgiving until I talked to my mom and told her I was going to stay home for Christmas I was having a lot of small ones. I didn't want to tell her I wasn't coming, because the only other one that would show up would be my brother and his family, but they don't stay long. But, she has been complaining since summer about Christmas and what to have and the financial part, (yet she's far from being poverty stricken, but wants everyone to think she is). I have felt like screaming everytime I hear her talk about that, but never said anything, because she relies on me, because I'm the only one who really calls her in the family. But, I finally told her I was staying home, but didn't say it in a way where she would think it was because of her. Both my sister and I have ptsd from the growing up years. I noticed when my sister was here, I could see she was feeling the same craziness as I was when around her for too long. She was a perfectionist and the house mattered more than the people. I grew up listening to screaming, throwing things... I never remember her talking in a normal voice. I started out with petit mal seizures and by the time I reached high school, went into complex-partial seziures, now, 20 years later started having drop seizures.
    AS far as the Christmas tree lights, I have some up, but what triggers my siezures sometimes, might not at othertimes. Sometimes I can tolerate the triggers where nothing happens, othertimes I'll go into a seizure.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:07 AM   #8
    AJR

Lately, mine have come when I take my glasses off when in the shower. I know it sounds odd (or perhaps it doesn't), but when my vision is blurry I think one may be coming. Surprisingly enough, I sometimes get a partial to confirm my paranoia. I now shower with my glasses on! It seems to work, even though it's awkward...

Art

Old 12-09-2003, 01:56 PM   #9
    mnt89

mnt89 HB User
    Wink Re: seizure triggers for people

[/FONT][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camrab05
    I was wondering what kinds of things trigger different people. I know when I was younger, it used to be certain smells, but not the same one all the time. Now, it's usually colors, or things to do with what I see that trigger seizures. Sometimes print will trigger them, but not all the time. Bright lights will also, and sometimes being in a department store or grocery store and things look so overwhelming in there, piled up so high. What are other triggers people get?
    [FONT=Garamond] For me it is stress, and loud noises. I'm rarely bothered by flashing lights or anything like that, except at the Christmas parade, the lights on the firetrucks did cause some strange sensations.

Old 12-09-2003, 02:04 PM   #10
    Pearl201se11
    (female)

Pearl201se11 HB User

I also have troble with strobe lights, flickering lights, emotional stress, computer screen & expecially loud noise.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:10 AM   #11
    noelwr

noelwr HB User

Hey, my boyfriend's triggers are stress and not enough sleep. It's not during the stressful time... it's right after a stressful few weeks when things calm and slow down... then it hits. But I make sure he gets a lot of rest on the weekends and try not to cause too much stress at home (even though that's a woman's job) and he's been attack-free for over a year now.

Strobe lights used to be one of his triggers, but during his last EEG test, he tested negative. Which goes to show you, some people can grow out of epilepsy. I know not everyone can, but it's at least something we all can hope for. And having the right balance of medication helps a lot.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:18 PM   #12
    crystalw

crystalw HB User

bright colors, (Red lights---not good for driving. windshield wipers make it REAlly bad for me turn signals sometimes esp red but yellow too. Once. I was stirring a really colorfull salad.....ugh...dangerous food!!! Computer screens with colorful flashing lights.
    I guess the same kind of things others are saying. Mine are not shaking seizures.... I have complex partial seizures. What about the others???? Just curious.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:35 PM   #13
    DucatiPro

DucatiPro HB User

For me the main trigger is high pitched noises.

Specifically, cell phone ringers, metal pinging and techno music.

It is really bad if I am concentrating on something when this happens.

Another lessor trigger is if some something strange is happening or the yelling and screaming that happens on court tv shows.

When my seizure is triggered seems like something vibrates in my left ear and boom, I get a buzz, which turns to a pulsating buzz, gets louder and louder and I am out for about 30 seconds.

I usually come back just fine, maybe a little dizzy.

Ps. One of my friends has a handheld strobe light but I walk away when he has it, I don't want to find out that that is another trigger.

Old 03-16-2004, 09:59 AM   #14
    Racer

Racer HB User

Mine, identified by keeping a detailed seizure diary, are:

The vapors of certain shampoos (sodium laureth sulfate--a common shampoo ingredient--may be the culprit)

Shrimp (may actually be the high amount of iodine that shrimp contains, which can affect brain electrolytes...the doctor had me switch to non-iodized salt and replace my multivitamin to one not containing iodine)

Losing sleep

Heat

Stress

Having a cold

Old 03-16-2004, 10:37 AM   #15
    tkdmom96
    Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Our daughter Katie's (almost 16) triggers are:

Loss of sleep (takes Melatonin [per Epi] nightly to relax)

Illnesses (possible lowering of med levels because of increase in metabolism due to the body fighting illness/previous Neuro said this)

Stress (school exams and her impending surgery)

Menstrual (hormones)

We haven't noticed any food, environmental, or product use issues. We try to keep things pretty much the same so as not to 'rock the boat'. We do monitor her sugar intake, food dyes, and caffeine.

Katie has Complex Partial seizures >so far is not photosensitive/from EEG testing and experiences> takes Keppra and Lamictal

Vicki
    mom of Katie, the most courageous young lady I know

p.s. She also takes a natural multi-vitamin, Folic acid, and B-complex vitamin

Last edited by tkdmom96; 03-16-2004 at 10:40 AM.

Closed Thread