It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• is medical id bracelet needed for child???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
    sherri goch

sherri goch HB User
    Question is medical id bracelet needed for child???

My 5 year old daughter has had several seizures (everything from just a staring spell, to partial complex seizure where she passed out and stopped breathing, but that one was before meds) and is now taking Trileptal. Should she be wearing a medical bracelet? Should it mention her med. and the seizures? If she does need one I feel conflicted about having it state "epilepsy". We have just been saying that she has seizures and takes special medicine and have not used the term epilepsy when talking with her or her twin sister (who has not had seizures, tho they are monozygotic/identical) or older siblings (7 and 9 years old). Any advice from other parents of young kids would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
    jsal

jsal HB User
    Thumbs up Re: is medical id bracelet needed for child???

I personally think you can't be to careful. My 7 year old wheres a med alert necklace. She also carries Diastat. I realize sometimes we feel as though were advertising that some thing is wrong, but I would rather have people aware and know my child is safe. If Alicia didn't where her chain you wouldn't know what was wrong because she looks "normal" she walks but she can't talk very well and would never be able to tell you what is wrong ( she also has cerebral palsy). I guess it boils down to what do you feel comfortable doing. Get informed on everything about Epilepsy, just because you don't say it doesn't mean it's not so.
    You'll do whats right for you. Jsal

Last edited by jsal; 01-13-2004 at 02:20 PM.

Old 01-13-2004, 03:38 PM   #3
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User
    Re: is medical id bracelet needed for child???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsal
    I personally think you can't be to careful. My 7 year old wheres a med alert necklace. She also carries Diastat. I realize sometimes we feel as though were advertising that some thing is wrong, but I would rather have people aware and know my child is safe. If Alicia didn't where her chain you wouldn't know what was wrong because she looks "normal" she walks but she can't talk very well and would never be able to tell you what is wrong ( she also has cerebral palsy). I guess it boils down to what do you feel comfortable doing. Get informed on everything about Epilepsy, just because you don't say it doesn't mean it's not so.
    You'll do whats right for you. Jsal

I have always insisted that Sam wear a medic alert. I figured if he needed help, he cannot speak during a seizure or well after, the bracelet speaks for him. I did let him pick out the type. Many sites have them as well as drug stores carry a cheaper version.

If you do not want Epilepsy on there you can put SEIZURES, the emergency treatment is the same anyway. I do not engrave what meds he takes, since that changes. ( I also have one for medication allergies for me!)

Old 01-13-2004, 04:06 PM   #4
    momof3mjt
    Veteran

momof3mjt HB User

Funny that you should mention this. I am having the same thoughts for my DD. She is 7 and has had complex/partials for 3+ years. If you don't see her start having a seizure...you most likely won't see it. And if you do see her...you would think she just has some type of a tic, or nerve problem.

Anyway...she went to a bday party this weekend. I had a hard time deciding if I should tell the mother about Tiffani. She is someone who knows my daughter, because she works in the classroom a lot and goes on fieldtrips..but doesn't know ABOUT tiffani. I didn't tell her...only because I didn't want her to be AFRAID of Tiffani. We carry cells and left #'s with the mom on where to reach us and left it at that. I went through a year of HECK last year with her schoolmates thinking she was different because of her learning disability. She is doing great this year with TONS of friends. (we held her back)

So I talked to my hubby, he said the same thing. If we tell people, they might be afraid of her and not invite her over. but if I don't tell people and they see her movements...are they going to think she is wierd or has something really wrong with her?

So we are thinking of getting a medic alert bracelet for her. I wouldn't mind it saying epilepsy, but you know..people are ignorant, (not meaning this mean) they just don't really know what it is all about. They think GRAND MALS...and yes that is scary.
    So good idea on just putting siezures on it. Possibly seizure disorder?
    I hate having to live with this...too many things to think about. I don't care what other people think, but she wasn't even invited to ONE bday party last year and she is on her 4th already this year! lol lol Little social monster! lol lol

Let me know what you decide...
    take care
    Lindy

Old 01-14-2004, 05:10 AM   #5
    gagcas

gagcas HB User
    Lightbulb Re: is medical id bracelet needed for child???

hey everyone doesnt this sound just what i was asking in the begining of my bout with epilepsy. sherri we havnt net. im jen. i have a 5 year old with complex siezure disorder.(just found out thats the name they gave his type of epilepsy). when i first found out i had asked the same thing here. i had asked te neuro and she told me absolutely. with as bad as his EEG was he very well could have a grand mal. i did have epilepsy put on it because that is indeed what it is. i never thought of putting siezures on it till i just read the other posts. gage's come out in facial ticks that can be a little odd at times. i would rather them see that he has a bracelet on then to look at me funny, which i hav had done before. some people just DONT get it. i have gotton alot of ideas off of this board. i have put something on his car seat incase we were in an accident or he is in someone elses car and they cant tell them. i have him wear the bracelet, and he is fine with it. he thinks it is cool. he doesnt understand what it is(how do you tella 5 year old), but he likes it. and since he starts school next year it will help as far as different teachers and what not. i even found one that had a stretchy band on it like watches so its more apt to grow with him and not come off as easily. and i agree wiht lindy, i wouldnt put the meds on it. gage will be trying his 3rd and we just found out on november he had epilepsy.. i found mine in a medica supply store but just about everyone has them. just depends on what your looking for i guess. i hope i have helped a little bit. and take care. im in the same boat.
    jen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    To the world, you might be one person, but to one person you might just be the world
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jennifer

Old 01-14-2004, 06:26 AM   #6
    Deborah Lee

Deborah Lee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sherri goch
    My 5 year old daughter has had several seizures (everything from just a staring spell, to partial complex seizure where she passed out and stopped breathing, but that one was before meds) and is now taking Trileptal. Should she be wearing a medical bracelet? Should it mention her med. and the seizures? If she does need one I feel conflicted about having it state "epilepsy". We have just been saying that she has seizures and takes special medicine and have not used the term epilepsy when talking with her or her twin sister (who has not had seizures, tho they are monozygotic/identical) or older siblings (7 and 9 years old). Any advice from other parents of young kids would be appreciated.

well i am not a parent and dont have children, but i do have something to add to this. you say that you havent used the word epelispy around the other kids, well maybe you should!

Dont leave it just seizures, because anybody can have a seizure, and they dont have to have Epelispy. Tell your other kids what your daughter has especially the older ones so if she has one and your not around they can help her, stay with her whatever that is needed at the time.

twins can share just about everything together, its how our bond is to each other. one though can have epelispy and not the other one. My twin doesnt have epelispy but i do. And from as far back as i can remember shes always known about the epelispy.

just something to think about.
    GOD BLESS

Closed Thread