HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Epilepsy (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/)
-   -   Epilepsy or Panic/Anxiety?????? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/143015-epilepsy-panic-anxiety.html)

healthy2b 01-17-2004 07:11 PM

Epilepsy or Panic/Anxiety??????

Hello Everyone.
I will try to make this as short as I can as I could take up 5 pages.
For years, I've had this thing, something happens, extreme deja vu, sick feeling in stomach, left side tingling, then it goes away. I feel tired and sleep afterwards for hours, and for days feel weird, out of it, foggy. Only used to happen 4 times a year. The last year it's happening every other month or so.
ALWAYS happens while ovulating or on my period. Catamenial Epilepsy? My first thought. Had 2 EEGs, MRI, 24 hr. EEG (not while symptomatic though) and all were negative. I did not start meds at neurologist suggestion and switched doctors.
New doctor much more open to things. Taking it slow. I will only be convinced it's epilepsy if an EEG is done while symptomatic and I can tell them, yes, while hooked up I had one at 3:30 etc..etc....and then they can check the report, this hasn't been able to be done due to weekends or work schedule etc.
I am trying so hard to find something that talks about deja vu and the sick feeling without being connected to epilepsy. I feel panicked to find something.
I have terrible pms, heavy heavy periods, depression and horrible anxiety and panic at times. I always thought you had to have reason to have anxiety attacks and panic attacks. I didn't know normal fun situations could still enable to have an attack. I didn't know it was a condition by itself. My life is happy, I am content, things are perfect. Yet, for no reason, I have horrible anxiety, sometimes feel like the worlds at doom, no energy, fear etc. Those days I go through the motions, the kids, family etc, to everyone I just seem sad. To me, it's the deja vu episodes, the heart racing, the nervousness, it's all inside me and I keep it there.
I've done tons of research. I came up with other possible solutions, Mitral Valve Prolapse, which I now find out 4 of my immediate relatives have but not major so it was never mentioned. I do have a heart murmur, and my heart feels funny when symptomatic. Panic/Anxiety Disorder, magnesium deficiency or just maybe a hormone problem which would also explain my depression, pms, anger etc.
The episodes are lasting longer too. They used to be 1 or 2 days with a few days of feeling weird. Now they last 5 days and 5 more days of feeling weird. Then I get my period and feel the old me. The energy is amazing, I am happy, bursting with sunshine! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?
Instead of going back to the neurologist, I was thinking of working with my ob/gyn, getting complete hormone testing done. I bought the natural progesterone cream but want to talk to him first. I've started taking vitamins, and additional supplements and have changed my eating and need to lose 40 lbs. I have joined a gym and am going to start going. I just stopped working (not b/c of my health but to be a SAHM and my kids are in school most days and with my husbands full support, I am going to make my health top priority. What is confusing me the most is, if it's epilepsy, why when the minor "seizure" or partial seizure is over, do I have intense anxiety and depression for days afterwards......does heart palps and anxiety and sadness all have to do with epilepsy and seizures????? I am so confused and ****** off at all of this. On good months I forget all about it. Then bam-it comes out of the blue, then I am doubled over with ovulation pain and I remember, oh that's why!
Sorry for going on and on, thanks for listening. Any thoughts would be welcome. I just don't want to believe it's epilepsy and don't want to go on those meds. I am totally against them unless it's absolutely necessary. I want it to be something else. My primary care doctor even though I only go 1 or 2 times a year for bronchitis, acts like I am a total hypochondriac and practically mocks me. He WILL NOT send me to the Mitral Valve Prolapse Center which I need a referral for. I feel they can help me. They deal with ALL my symptoms and have counseling and EVERYTHING.............To show you how crazy this is bothering me, when the deja vu strikes, it's these intense emotions that come over me, thoughts, memories, but I can't place them, I feel sick, nausea,it's like millions of feelings or memories and I know I've lived through them, but the minute the episode is over, I can't remember a thing. Nobody around me says I do anything different and I can even tell them when it's happening, I just put my head down and ride it out, I've even thought maybe I was molested as a child or something, repressed memories, that's when I knew I had to do something b/c I really don't think that's the case, but that's the way it makes me feel, like it's something I can't place, yet remember, but dont..... UGH!!!!!Sorry I am rambling. Thanks.........

Danaseeks 01-18-2004 02:53 PM

Re: Epilepsy or Panic/Anxiety??????

Hello healthy2be there's alot of me in your story. I've been told I have seizures then told maybe not ( one EEG out of five taken, turned out abnormal, I was symptomatic at the time) I have seen at least 15 doctors in the past nine years and been through many tests. One told me I had severe pms and never mentioned catamenial seizures, although all my research shows I'm a good candidate. After all I've been through and all I've read from other peoples stories is that we know our symptoms best. Find out everything you can. research your symptoms, record everything from how you feel, to when it occurs. Look for a knowledgable doctor in your area. The epilepsy foundation can help you with this. Hope you find an answer. Danaseeks

kayakmom 01-18-2004 02:58 PM

" will try to make this as short as I can as I could take up 5 pages.
For years, I've had this thing, something happens, extreme deja vu, sick feeling in stomach, left side tingling, then it goes away. I feel tired and sleep afterwards for hours, and for days feel weird, out of it, foggy. Only used to happen 4 times a year. The last year it's happening every other month or so. "

What you write here sounds ALOT like my sons simple partial seizures. He has the sick feeling or sudden pain in his stomach or a tooth, left hand will tingle, he feels angry, confused and will fall asleep or feel really drained after this!

I do not know how to get your PCP to refer you if he is not listening to you and putting everything down as Hypo chondriacal. I know how that is. I have chronic conditions that often get no response from the MDs.

YOu need to get to a neuro and have an EEG to see what picks up. It is possible to have these small things NOT show up on EEG, however. This does not mean that you have nothing, it just means that you are in the minority that can have these and show a "normal" EEG. It is also possible to have an abnormal EEG and NEVER have a seizure.

Get the idea that this is NOT an exact science. If you do a goggle search you should find some emedicine articles about complex partial seizures vs panic attacks that might help you. Can you change PCPs to get one that listens to you??

So sorry you are going through this! You are not alone. Many others have these. (The catamenal part may just mean that in that time of cycle you are more prone to this. Many things can lower the seizure threshold, illness, hormones, other meds, over tired....)

healthy2b 01-18-2004 03:55 PM

Thank you for your feedback. I probably will change PCP. I will work with my OBGYN first and get all the hormone testing done and through diet and exercise, vitamins etc, see if I can get myself on track. I feel so strongly that this is anxiety or panic or something. The key word that always brings it back to epilepsy is the deja vu, but in my research I've found lots of connections between deja vu and panic/anxiety attacks, so I will go that route first. Once all that is done, I will go back to the neurologist and see what he thinks. He's at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate the support. It's a lonely feeling with all this stuff... thanks! :)

coppertop 01-18-2004 04:07 PM

Have you considered migraines? Dejavu, tingling (and or numbness), and abdominal pain (and or nausa) can all symptoms of migraine auras. You can have migraine auras without the headache also. If you have a good library around see if they have the book "Migraine" by Oliver Sacks. He describes many migraine symptoms like yours and also compares migraines and epilepsy.

tkandkatie 01-18-2004 05:04 PM

As I was reading your story, it really hit home when you said that you have a heart murmur and experience heart palps. I also have a mitral valve prolapse, according to my cardiologist in October, and in December was diagnosed with epilepsy. I also have strange sensations, the sickness, sometimes ringing in my ears, the deja vu, most of all. But what really got me with your story was when you said that durning your sensations, you have heart palps and feel very anxious. I feel the same exact way. I know exactly what you are talking about. Sometimes feeling my heart palps throws me into a sort of "anxiety attack". I get very nervous. As for my epilepsy, I have has several grand mals, and I'm currently battling a higher dosage of meds that makes me spin, jerk, and literally feel like I'm drunk!! Oh by the way, my eeg's and mri came back completely normal.

Hope that helped a little.

Kelli

DucatiPro 01-18-2004 08:28 PM

HI Healthy2B,

Hang in there,

I am a man, with no hormonal issues and I went from all of a sudden having panic attacks. Almost like if someone turned a lightswitch and they came. I did not tell anyone and just continued to work but sometimes they were so bad that when I was driving I would just have to pull over and try to let them pass.

As the panic attackes faded, I felt depression no more panic attacks. Like if nothing was worth anything. I would smile just to play it off.

Then around December of 2001.

I felt like if nothing ever had happened.

Then In October 2002 I started having grand mal seizures, up until the present.

There has got to be some connection. Unfortunately doctors don't really have the time or interest to figure hard things like this out.

It seems to be up to the individual to keep pounding on docs to get a solution or at least relief!

healthy2b 01-18-2004 09:08 PM

Thank you everyone. I feel so much better talking to people that understand and know I am NOT crazy! I get a tad emotional when reading responses probably b/c it's the connection of knowing someone understands.

I have done a ton of research regarding Mitrval Valve Prolapse and it describes my symptoms to a T. Even the deja vu thing, the strange sensations etc.

I too feel a depression afterwards that life is just not important. NOT suicidal, just not fun per say. I can be outside with the kids, making dinner, etc, and it's just going through the motions, like letting life happen around me and I feel even more anxious waiting for this to pass. Once it does, it's like someone gave me a super drug and all those that I love and my life in general seems happy and wonderful again. It's so hard and draining to be up and down like this. I am going to demand a referral to the Mitral Valve Prolapse Center and if I don't get one, I will switch doctors. First I will have a full hormonal workup though. If my body doesn't make enough progesterone, or flucuates too much, that explains most of my symptoms. Hmmmmmm...lots to think about. Thanks again so much and to the man that responded, I guess panic/anxiety can happen out of nowhere....Best of luck to everyone too, to getting better and dealing with this! Thanks........

healthy2b 01-18-2004 09:17 PM

Kelli~
What I still don't understand is if anxiety/depression/panic, heart palps etc. are common in epilepsy days after a "seizure". I still don't believe mine are seizures, I like to call them episodes for now, but that's why I keep doing research on the Mitral Valve Prolapse etc, b/c the deja vu thing I can almost handle, it's the intense anxiety, doom, fear, depression, and heart palps that scare me. I still don't know if most or some people with just epilepsy have these too as a result of having seizures??????????
If not, then the mitral valve prolapse would be to blame since that describes alot of the symptoms, and in your case since you were diagnosed with Epilepsy, it's probably too different issues. Do you know if panic etc, are common with just epilepsy alone or does anyone know?
Thanks, and good luck to you Kelli. :)

mollyd1234 01-19-2004 09:11 AM

Hello Healthy,
When I read your story, I felt like I was reading about myself. When I was younger I found myself having these "episodes" where a flood of memories would rush into my head (I could never quite remember them) and then I would feel a little sick but not bad, heart palps and then it would be over. I remembered the entire incident. I felt the need to put my head down as well so they'd pass. I've asked and no one around me ever noticed them. I had one large seizure in my sleep in 1999 (which dr's now believe was alcohol related as it was very hot that day and I had had A LOT to drink at a college party). Anyway, because of the episodes I was put on Tegretol and have been on it since 1999. I have not had one episode since then. I should also mention that I do suffer from panic attacks/anxiety and bouts of depression and am also on Klonopin and Celexa. These drugs have helped tremendously as has therapy. I used to go days (like you, right before my period) where I would feel so down and didn't feel like doing anything, had no motivation, etc. Now I feel wonderful and have been weaning off Tegretol SLOWLY since April. I'm down to my last 200 mg (from 800 mg per day) and can stop at anytime but I'm not quite ready yet. I still have not had any "episodes" except for minor panic attacks once in a while. I also used to suffer from migraines too but those have disappeared as well. Doctors (I've seen 6) now are questioning if I ever even had epilepsy. They are now looking into hormonal possibilities as the women in my family all suffer from hormonal imbalances and suffer from anxiety/depression. I know this is a long post but I had to respond because you sound so much like me. The episodes I had were not quite deja vu so I never could find any information on "strange thoughts rushing into my head." I have had 3 MRI's and 2 sleep deprived EEG's and they've all been normal. I also have had a full neurological workup which was normal as well. I'm VERY curious to find out what is causing your episodes and if it is indeed a Mitral Valve Prolapse. I may bring that possibility up to my doctor as well if they don't find anything hormonal wrong with me. Best of luck to you.

healthy2b 01-19-2004 10:10 AM

WOW! We do have alot in common. I find it interesting that they now think you might never have had epilepsy and you've been on medication all this time. My first neurologist even though all my tests were normal, wanted to put me on Tegretol immediately. We've had expereince with family and brain tumors and tegretol, dilantin etc, so that is why when we heard those drugs, my husband and I both just panicked and didn't even want to go there until the doctors were sure what was wrong with me. Otherwise, if I probably would have just taken it right away. Instead I went to a major hospital with a world renowned neurologist in Miami who is taking a much slower approach and doesn't think I have epilepsy.I'd just prefer to have the EEG or the other tests while symptomatic.
I've done a ton of research on Mitral Valve Prolapse. I found so much that related to me and then mentioned it to my Uncle, mother and brother and found out they all have it, but mildly, so it never was mentioned. My own brother even has some panic/anxiety he just never told anyone. Check out this website
[url]http://www.mitral.com/[/url] and on the left, directory, Mitral Valve, symptoms, see if anything pertains to you. Our stories are so similiar. That is strange. I really believe it's something to do with hormones, and panic/anxiety etc. I made an appt today with my OBGYN and I want a full hormonal workup and then will see from there. Let's all keep working on it. I wish you the best, and glad you are now coming off the tegretol. :)

Rebecca2 01-25-2004 03:25 PM

Hi,
I do have hormonal/related epilepsy. It took a long time to figure this out. One thing I know, is that you should be sure and have an eeg done during the days of your period. This is when hormones fluctuate and can cause seizures- I had one done on the days that I know I will have a seizure (the last 3 days of my period) Happens like clockwork... I didn't find any of this out until I stopped taking birth control- then had about 5 gran mals in 5 months- really bad ones! I also have problems with depression and anxiety, though I believe some is the side effects of the meds I take. My original eegs were uncertain, and I even had one neurologist completely take me off all my meds (except birth control) No one really new until the recent seizures. Now I am looking into taking Progesterone (I posted about it ) If you can, try to have an eeg done at specific times of your cycle like when you have the highest levels of estrogen- Someone else on this board probably knows more about that than I can tell you. Also- from what I read on the posting @ epilepsy and your period on here, a lot of us with this type of epilepsy have our seizures at night- I am thinking about also having a sleep- eeg done.
Good luck to you, but you do sometimes have to do the most research in these things, I think you know your body best (of course) and sometimes Doctors don't know what you feel and don't know what to do.
-Rebecca

Hotdogg21502 02-23-2004 08:58 PM

Interesting thread. I have no history of Epilepsy but suffered an extreme reaction to Paxil withdrawal two years ago. I had taken the Paxil for recurrent panic attacks, and it worked great to supress the PA's, but I quit after a couple years on it due to some unwanted and persistent side effects. Shortly after quitting Paxil, I began having these persistant "electric shock" sensations, sometimes accompanied by a very brief (<1 sec) black out or jerk or the head, arm, or trunk. These have continued for two years now. I've had two EEG's that have been normal, but the later one (last summer) showed a heightened sensitivity to flashing lights. I notice that a lot of these "electric shock" sensations happen when sitting in front of the computer. They also tend to occur more when I am sleep deprived or stressed.

I've also had a few episodes where physically I'll be totally awake and alert, but mentally I'll suddenly go blank. It's like I'm floating. There are no visual/audio disturbances, but I'll sense a sudden "sweet" taste or smell and a very sudden sense of fear or that "something is wrong." After 20 or 30 seconds I'll snap out of it. Last one happened while attending a college football game and I thought I would pass out right there in the stands, luckily I remained awake and standing, but after the episode I had a severe panic attack because it scared the crap out of me. Eventually I calmed down and it was like nothing happened.

Question is: Was this (and some other) episodes related to some kind of partial seizure or "aura", or was it a variation of a panic attack? I have a history of PA's but not seizures (the aforementioned Electric Shocks have been diagnosed as Myoclonus, but not seizures).

I am taking Klonopin for the Myoclonus and also the occasional anxiety/panic. So far it works well. It is an anti-seizure med, so it controls that, but also is great for anxiety, kills two birds with one stone so to speak. I still wonder what the hell Paxil did to my brain, because things haven't been the same since. :rolleyes:

BlueSkyes 03-11-2004 06:20 PM

H2B, I posted to this board last year with a desperate message very much like your own, and I was at my wits end. In fact the similarity of my symptoms is almost eerie. The deja vu, the sick feeling, the panic. My episodes were also accompanied by ear ringing. But here's something I know now. The panic was not PART of the episodes. It was a RESULT of the episodes. I was so fearful of having these unknown, scary episodes happening to me anytime, anywhere, that panic and anxiety became a part of the scenario. I know this now because I was finally diagnosed with epilepsy at the end of this year and I'm one of the very lucky people who's had a complete remission of seizures after being placed on a very small does of Topomax (only 50 mg a day) and I have virtually no side effects except maybe a little bit of tiredness now and then. The panic has completely gone away also because I no longer have to worry about having a seizure. I don't know if this will help you, but I just wanted to share my story in case it will help. Hopefully it will.

As far as my EEG and MRI they both came back positive. My MRI showed several silent strokes I'd had that I wasn't aware of. My EEG confirmed the seizure activity was in the temporal lobe. But you probably already know that both the MRI and EEG can come back clear and you can still have seizure activity.

olan 03-11-2004 08:35 PM

Sounds like me!

[QUOTE=healthy2b]Hello Everyone.
I will try to make this as short as I can as I could take up 5 pages.
For years, I've had this thing, something happens, extreme deja vu, sick feeling in stomach, left side tingling, then it goes away. I feel tired and sleep afterwards for hours, and for days feel weird, out of it, *****. Only used to happen 4 times a year. The last year it's happening every other month or so.
ALWAYS happens while ovulating or on my period. Catamenial Epilepsy? My first thought. Had 2 EEGs, MRI, 24 hr. EEG (not while symptomatic though) and all were negative. I did not start meds at neurologist suggestion and switched doctors.
New doctor much more open to things. Taking it slow. I will only be convinced it's epilepsy if an EEG is done while symptomatic and I can tell them, yes, while hooked up I had one at 3:30 etc..etc....and then they can check the report, this hasn't been able to be done due to weekends or work schedule etc.
I am trying so hard to find something that talks about deja vu and the sick feeling without being connected to epilepsy. I feel panicked to find something.
I have terrible pms, heavy heavy periods, depression and horrible anxiety and panic at times. I always thought you had to have reason to have anxiety attacks and panic attacks. I didn't know normal fun situations could still enable to have an attack. I didn't know it was a condition by itself. My life is happy, I am content, things are perfect. Yet, for no reason, I have horrible anxiety, sometimes feel like the worlds at doom, no energy, fear etc. Those days I go through the motions, the kids, family etc, to everyone I just seem sad. To me, it's the deja vu episodes, the heart racing, the nervousness, it's all inside me and I keep it there.
I've done tons of research. I came up with other possible solutions, Mitral Valve Prolapse, which I now find out 4 of my immediate relatives have but not major so it was never mentioned. I do have a heart murmur, and my heart feels funny when symptomatic. Panic/Anxiety Disorder, magnesium deficiency or just maybe a hormone problem which would also explain my depression, pms, anger etc.
The episodes are lasting longer too. They used to be 1 or 2 days with a few days of feeling weird. Now they last 5 days and 5 more days of feeling weird. Then I get my period and feel the old me. The energy is amazing, I am happy, bursting with sunshine! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?
Instead of going back to the neurologist, I was thinking of working with my ob/gyn, getting complete hormone testing done. I bought the natural progesterone cream but want to talk to him first. I've started taking vitamins, and additional supplements and have changed my eating and need to lose 40 lbs. I have joined a gym and am going to start going. I just stopped working (not b/c of my health but to be a SAHM and my kids are in school most days and with my husbands full support, I am going to make my health top priority. What is confusing me the most is, if it's epilepsy, why when the minor "seizure" or partial seizure is over, do I have intense anxiety and depression for days afterwards......does heart palps and anxiety and sadness all have to do with epilepsy and seizures????? I am so confused and ****** off at all of this. On good months I forget all about it. Then bam-it comes out of the blue, then I am doubled over with ovulation pain and I remember, oh that's why!
Sorry for going on and on, thanks for listening. Any thoughts would be welcome. I just don't want to believe it's epilepsy and don't want to go on those meds. I am totally against them unless it's absolutely necessary. I want it to be something else. My primary care doctor even though I only go 1 or 2 times a year for bronchitis, acts like I am a total hypochondriac and practically mocks me. He WILL NOT send me to the Mitral Valve Prolapse Center which I need a referral for. I feel they can help me. They deal with ALL my symptoms and have counseling and EVERYTHING.............To show you how crazy this is bothering me, when the deja vu strikes, it's these intense emotions that come over me, thoughts, memories, but I can't place them, I feel sick, nausea,it's like millions of feelings or memories and I know I've lived through them, but the minute the episode is over, I can't remember a thing. Nobody around me says I do anything different and I can even tell them when it's happening, I just put my head down and ride it out, I've even thought maybe I was molested as a child or something, repressed memories, that's when I knew I had to do something b/c I really don't think that's the case, but that's the way it makes me feel, like it's something I can't place, yet remember, but dont..... UGH!!!!!Sorry I am rambling. Thanks.........[/QUOTE]

First, I am male and 50 years of age. I had a traumatic brain injury in 1971.
Lately, I have been having symptoms much like yours. I have been diagnosed with complex-partial seizures. I have had 10 in the last 9 months; the last one was 2 weeks ago!

I begin to have panic problems. Not full blow panic attacks but a light feeling in my chest, a fluttering on the heart, an urge to chew, and sometimes cramping in the stomach. Immediately afterwards I become extremely tired and must go to sleep. I may sleep for 12 hours or more. The after affect is also bad. I am out of it for days, 2 to3.

Others are intense heat moving up out of my abdomen area in 3 distinct waves. Forcing me to remove my shirt. Other times I stumble, become incontinent, or have tremors in my arms and elongated steps.

Some times I see thing out of the corner of my eye or my hearing become acute and noises bother me. :wave: