It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Does this sound like Epilepsy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
    AnnaMarie11
    (female)

AnnaMarie11 HB User
    Does this sound like Epilepsy?

Hello Everyone, several years ago my brother-in-law started to “pass out/blank out”. He later had a grand-mal seizure and was put on medication. Years later he died of a heart attack. Recently my other brother-in-law has started to “pass out / blank out”. No one has ever seen him do this and he has no recollection of the occurrence, except waking up in the hospital. He only remembers trying to read the price of an item in the store he was at and sort of got dizzy. He is having problems with his bifocals and is always trying to compensate by moving his head. His EEG shows no abnormal activity. His doctor is leaning toward epilepsy. My questions are: 1. Can a person with epilepsy have a normal EEG reading? 2. Could his bifocals have caused something like this to happen?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
    tkdmom96
    Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User
    Re: Does this sound like Epilepsy?

Hi,

Yes, you can have a "normal" EEG and still have Epilepsy. Our daughter has had E for 15 1/2 years and has had normal and borderline EEG's. Sometimes the brain is "on" and others it is off. They can be "hit or miss".

I worked for an optometrist and do not remember anyone with bifocals passing out or blanking out. They can make you dizzy or woozey until you get use to them. I would call an eye professional to double check on that tho.

I assume the two men you mention are/were brothers? Did the first brother have an MRI done to rule out any brain abnormalities? (lesions, malformations, artery issues) I would strongly recommend one. The EEG is an excellent test, and an MRI is as important as well.

Vicki
    mom of Katie, the most courageous young lady I know

Old 03-02-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
    AnnaMarie11
    (female)

AnnaMarie11 HB User

Thank you Vicki, yes the two I speak of are brothers and, no we don't believe the first brother (Mike) had an MRI done. The second brother (Glen) is scheduled to go soon. I have had Epilepsy since I was 14 and never knew you could have a normal EEG. I'm quite worried about Glen because it sounds so much like what Mike went through and because of my concern for my husband. It makes you wonder if this is coincidence or if it's part of the family "make up". Thank you for your reply.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User

I had normal eeg's, cat scans and MRI's for over 15 years then one day I had an abnormal eeg. But it is normal for nothing to show on the tests. I don't think glasses are the problem.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
    captain kitty
    (male)

captain kitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnnaMarie11
    Hello Everyone, several years ago my brother-in-law started to “pass out/blank out”. He later had a grand-mal seizure and was put on medication. Years later he died of a heart attack. Recently my other brother-in-law has started to “pass out / blank out”. No one has ever seen him do this and he has no recollection of the occurrence, except waking up in the hospital. He only remembers trying to read the price of an item in the store he was at and sort of got dizzy. He is having problems with his bifocals and is always trying to compensate by moving his head. His EEG shows no abnormal activity. His doctor is leaning toward epilepsy. My questions are: 1. Can a person with epilepsy have a normal EEG reading? 2. Could his bifocals have caused something like this to happen?
    Sounds alot like my epilepsy syptoms I show " normal " on a MRI

Old 03-04-2004, 08:00 AM   #6
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User

My son also has a normal to a barely abnormal EEG and has been having seizures since he was 5, going on 13 now. It can make it hard to diagnose sometimes. We have had challenges with that. Hope your brother in law can find some help!

Old 03-07-2004, 02:06 AM   #7
    pineapple53

pineapple53 HB User

Hi. I noticed you said he began to seize after he read a price tag. Does this happen often when he reads. I mention this because a friend of mine has "reading epilepsy" Everytime he reads he has a seizure. And i think other visual expeiriences make him seize also. I think he said it was visual stimulation epilepsy. Also a second opinion wouldn't hurt. My first doctor assured me that i didn't have epilepsy and that it was psycho-somatic. He said my eeg was normal, but when taken to another doctor he told me, without a doubt, that i have epilepsy. Then again i have also had normal eeg's. Sometimes it helps if you can try and trigger a seizure during the eeg. hope this is helpful and best of luck

Old 03-07-2004, 04:00 AM   #8
    AnnaMarie11
    (female)

AnnaMarie11 HB User

I've not heard of reading epilepsy, but will look into it. I will ask him about the other times he's "blacked out". You are right he should try to trigger the seizure duing the eeg. Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-07-2004, 12:34 PM   #9
    tkdmom96
    Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hi AnnaMarie,

Most of the time, during an EEG the tech will do things to try to trigger a response...either a seizure or to cause aggrivation so it shows spiking on the EEG. When you had your EEGs, did they flash lights, make you try to hyperventilate, stare at a blinking tv/computer screen etc.? I know they did that for Katie, along with the sleep deprivation.

Good luck to your brother-in-law, and certainly keep an extra eye on your husband. Epilepsy can be genetic. My husband has had 1 uncle, 1 aunt and his own dad (all were brothers & sister) have aneurisms in the brain that have caused serious problems and death. He is 2 years (age 52) from being the same age as his dad, when he had his first aneurism. My husband will be going for a (am drawing a total blank right now of the name of the test) test to inject dye through a groin catheter to check the arteries in his brain. This was recommended by our daughter's Epi doc. Too much history in the family. Also made Mike swear he would do it (made him shake on it) and that she would promise to take care of Katie. She was quite serious about it. She also said his brother and sister should have it done. He will have it done this summer.

There are all types of triggers for seizures, everyone is different. Finding it (or them) is the key...

All my best to your family,

Vicki
    mom of Katie, the most courageous young lady I know

Old 03-07-2004, 02:08 PM   #10
    Phoebe
    Inactive

Phoebe HB User

People can have a seizure and have it originate from a Cardiac problem. Since these are brothers and since one did have a heart attack, I would definitely have his Medical doc look at this first. There are many causes of seizures. but after two or more unprovoked seizures is when the diagnosis of eplepsy is given. A good thorough Medical work-up would make me feel better in this case if it were me. Electro-chemical activity stimulates the heart to contract etc, and if it is not functioning correctly, one can become woozy, pass out and even have a seizure. Phoebe

Closed Thread