It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Night terrors / epilepsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2004, 07:37 PM   #1
    wokstar

wokstar HB User
    Night terrors / epilepsy

Hi all

Okay, thought i'd let you know....i was diagnosed with epilpesy at age of 16...however i only get seizures while sleeping, so perhaps this could have been going on for some years. (starting young i used to sometimes wake up with terrible headaches)

Point of this thread is that i'm wondering about what i called "night terrors". I used to get these sometimes while sleepingn in my early and later teen years.

This is what I would experience:

- Extreme terror and fear
    - Wanting to scream/call out for help but unable to talk
    - Unable to move
    - Feeling as though I was breathing heavily/rapidly and sweating
    - Feeling as though I was floating and rapidly spinning around
    - Dizzy and confused to surroundings

This feeling would last to what seemed sometimes forever!! Though i never now how long it really lasted because I was so out of it. They were very scary....and sort of felt like I was half-dreaming as well. I don't know if i was sleeping or conscious...but i would awake the next day and remember that i had experienced it.

I am thinking that maybe these could have actually been seizures?

Have others heard of this or experienced it?

thanks...take care all.

The following user gives a hug of support to wokstar:
    Voukie (05-25-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2004, 05:14 AM   #2
    gagcas

gagcas HB User
    Exclamation Re: Night terrors / epilepsy

hello there,

my son gage had night terrors from the time he was about 1 1/2- almost 3. he is now 5. i cant really help you to understand how they feel but i know it was hard to look at and let alone deal with because back then we didnt know he was having siezures. once he was diagnosed we started looking back and realizing he most likely had it back then too. when he was younger he would wake up almost like clock work and do absolutely nothing but scream and kick for almost 2 hours straight every night. sometimes less. i really thought something was wrong and had taken him to the dr. but epilepsy wasnt even an idea. she thoguht he just had night terrors. it was very frustrating to handle becasue i was losing sleep. i couldnt talk to him and it seemed like he couldnt hear me at all. there were times that i had to leave him in the room because i was afraid i was going to do something i would regret as far as spanking him etc. had i know it was a siezure i probably would have handled it a little better.

then gage started having really bad temper fits during the day and thats when all the test were ordered and we found out november of last year he had epilepsy. not sure what kind yet but he does have it. now gage has what you are explaining in your post. almost to the tee. i am not sure about the dizzyness and floating because he is still to little to remember. but when he has these little night spells he has this extreme look of horror on his face that makes you want to cry. while it happens he mumbles thing i cant really understand, shakes, cries, and is incoherent to me , anything i say, or his surroundings. this all last for maybe about 5minutes and then its like he wakes up and just lays back in bed and goes to sleep. doesnt remember what went on in it. as of lately he has been wetting the bed. he has done it 3 times in the last 3 weeks. which is not like him at all. so i am just wondering if this is part of them and im not hearing him. gage was put on zarontin at first and we tried topomax but he wouldnt take. now he is back on the zarontin and everyting seems to be going backwards. im not sure if he is used to the meds or what. we go to pittsburgh childrens hospital in the begining of may. but we all believe, given gage's past history that these are siezures. even his neuro and pediatrician think it too. we just didnt catch it soon enough. for some reason his symptoms didnt really come out till this past year.

i hoped i have helped a littel bit and you have helped me becasue i havnt seen anyone on here yet that has gone thru this and is able to actually explain it. like i said gage is only 5, so thank you for the insite on it all. and listening to me ramble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    To the world, you might be one person, but to one person you might just be the world
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jennifer

Old 04-13-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
    wokstar

wokstar HB User
    Re: Night terrors / epilepsy

Hi Jennifer

Yes, thank you very much for the post, i quite appreciated it. Bed wetting is definitely a sign of having a seizure, so your son probably has them while sleeping. I used to have this when my medication was not under control but they were not associated with my night terrors. The bed wetting for me was from the result of a simple partial seizure, therefore no one ever heard me having it as I did not thrash around. It is a quiet type of seizure. I did no know that i had wet the bed until I awoke the next morning...to find my bed wet! (As a teenager i would be quite shocked! haha....until i found out it was a seizure...then i felt much better knowing it wasn't my fault)

Well, hope things work out for your son, keep the board updated with him and with any questions you have too.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
    Vie en Rose

Vie en Rose HB User

Wokstar,
    I used to have what you described during my teen years. I recently discovered that these were episodes of "sleep paralysis" - I hated them! Thank goodness I don't get these anymore!
    Some say that they could be linked to temporal lobe problems:
    [url]http://serendip.brynmawr.***/bb/neuro/neuro00/web1/Takahashi.html[/url]

-Kim

Old 04-25-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
    Calikermie

Calikermie HB User

I do think that was a seizure. I have seizures at night that are kind of like yours, where I get really confused and scared and my heart starts racing and feel extreme deja vu. I also have seizures stemming from the temporal lobe so I guess thats where it origiates.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:34 PM   #6
    BettyBlueberry

BettyBlueberry HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wokstar
    Hi all

Okay, thought i'd let you know....i was diagnosed with epilpesy at age of 16...however i only get seizures while sleeping, so perhaps this could have been going on for some years. (starting young i used to sometimes wake up with terrible headaches)

Point of this thread is that i'm wondering about what i called "night terrors". I used to get these sometimes while sleepingn in my early and later teen years.

- Unable to move

This feeling would last to what seemed sometimes forever!! Though i never now how long it really lasted because I was so out of it. They were very scary....and sort of felt like I was half-dreaming as well. I don't know if i was sleeping or conscious...but i would awake the next day and remember that i had experienced it.

thanks...take care all.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:46 AM   #7
    Kcollin2

Kcollin2 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Night terrors / epilepsy

Hey i have night terrors, i have had them since i was 18 months old. I dont really know when it happens i just know that it happens.. and you it sounds like you did have them at an early age. I am here if any one or you wants to talk ... i am always here

Old 04-29-2004, 02:11 PM   #8
    LisaG890
    Veteran

LisaG890 HB User

Hi everyone,

We're thinking Jake has them as well. Jennifer, it's a lot like you discribe with Gage. Just wide eyed screaming with this look of horror for hours some nights. Daddy stays at home with him while I work so he gets up with him for the most part... But, it's so hard to see them like that!

I guess it's all part of the package E deal! Wish we could all meet someplace, someday!

Anyway...

Love and light to all

Lisa and kids

Old 04-30-2004, 06:16 PM   #9
    wokstar

wokstar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kcollin2
    Hey i have night terrors, i have had them since i was 18 months old. I dont really know when it happens i just know that it happens.. and you it sounds like you did have them at an early age. I am here if any one or you wants to talk ... i am always here
    Hi Kcollin

do you still get night terrors now then? if so, how do you deal with them....did you get medication prescribed? also, what are they most common types of seizures that you get....do they have to do with the temporal lobe. thanks

Old 04-30-2004, 06:19 PM   #10
    wokstar

wokstar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vie en Rose
    Wokstar,
    I used to have what you described during my teen years. I recently discovered that these were episodes of "sleep paralysis" - I hated them! Thank goodness I don't get these anymore!
    Some say that they could be linked to temporal lobe problems:
    [url]http://serendip.brynmawr.***/bb/neuro/neuro00/web1/Takahashi.html[/url]

-Kim
    Hi Kim

were you diagnosed wtih sleep paralysis? and how..do you think that your anti-seizure medication helps..(ummm..if you are on any, sorry for the assumption).

thanks for your comments.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:05 AM   #11
    gagcas

gagcas HB User
    Talking Re: Night terrors / epilepsy

hey lisa....

gage hasnt had one that long in a long time. but when he did it was like wow . now they seem to last only a minute or so, and he doesnt scream anymore either. thank god. i think thatn was the worst part of it all. he still has that look of horror but it is more like waking up froma bad dream now. shakes, jabbers on, almost like he is looking at a movie that isnt there, but it must be very real for him because of the look on his face. he hasnt had one of those since last week. they seem to come in spurts now. couple a week and then nothing for a while. very confusing sometimes.

To the world, you might be one person, but to one person you might just be the world

jennifer

Old 05-06-2004, 08:52 PM   #12
    honeybee6636

honeybee6636 HB User

HI Yes my daughter has the same thing happen to her and i too have had those night terrors but sometimes they happen just laying down to take a nap......its very frightening.

Quote:
    Hi all

- Unable to move

thanks...take care all.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:37 AM   #13
    Vie en Rose

Vie en Rose HB User

Hi wokstar,
    I was never officially diagnosed with sleep paralysis - I just recently read about it on the internet, and realized that it sounded exactly like what I had when I was younger. Wow! It has a name...
    I don't take seizure medication - I think that I might have photosensitive simple partial seizures (they only occur a few times a year). Haven't been to a neurologist, tho'....
    I believe I also have an auditory processing disorder (which might be caused by temporal lobe disturbances...).
    -Kim

Quote:
    Hi Kim

were you diagnosed wtih sleep paralysis? and how..do you think that your anti-seizure medication helps..(ummm..if you are on any, sorry for the assumption).

thanks for your comments.

Old 05-19-2004, 12:51 PM   #14
    Amapeli

Amapeli HB User

I was looking on this board because my son just had an EEG done. The Neurogist said she was concerned about seeing Impulse epeletic discharges bilaterally in his frontal lobe area while sleeping lasting 3 - 4 seconds. She wants to put him on a 6 month trial of medicine. I was curious in your post because when I was growing up I had night terrors and feeling like you described. Sometimes i would feel like I am awake and would see things in my room or feel something was there. They usually were scary like Frankenstein (for a 4 year old that is scary). I have had feeling of floating or not being able to speak or move. I definately remember the dreams i was having. I still remember those because I was terrified. I also wet the bed till about 2nd or 3rd grade. I wonder if having seizures had anything to do with it? I am a very visual person where I see something that day and I am dreaming it that night. I wonder if I should mention this to the neurologist?

Old 05-21-2004, 12:09 AM   #15
    wokstar

wokstar HB User

[QUOTE=Amapeli]I was looking on this board because my son just had an EEG done. The Neurogist said she was concerned about seeing Impulse epeletic discharges bilaterally in his frontal lobe area while sleeping lasting 3 - 4 seconds. She wants to put him on a 6 month trial of medicine. I was curious in your post because when I was growing up I had night terrors and feeling like you described. Sometimes i would feel like I am awake and would see things in my room or feel something was there. They usually were scary like Frankenstein (for a 4 year old that is scary). I have had feeling of floating or not being able to speak or move. I definately remember the dreams i was having. I still remember those because I was terrified. I also wet the bed till about 2nd or 3rd grade. I wonder if having seizures had anything to do with it? I am a very visual person where I see something that day and I am dreaming it that night. I wonder if I should mention this to the neurologist?[/QUOTEH

Hi

Thanks for your post, i'm glad that you saw this thread and had the connection. It's neat to know that others have experienced this as well, because i haven't met many people who have.

I think yes, definitely tell this to the neurologist. Any information helps....the more they know, the more they can work with and identify what's causing them.

Good luck.....let us know what the neurologist says regarding your son as well

Closed Thread