It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Bellringing & Epilepsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
    vinnie01
    (male)

vinnie01 HB User
    Question Bellringing & Epilepsy

Hi all

I have bellringing as a hobbey which I don't want to give up for the 2nd time due to my epilesy.

I have petimal/partial fits which went off while I was ringing down a tenor bell (heavist bell) that made me let go of the rope (very dangerous) and other ringer said I walked round the ringing circle I don't recall that because I can't remember what happend during a fit.

This fit happend twice while ringing, 1st time I did give it up for a year and I lost some ringing skills (musical skills) as for bell handling I and ringing up and down I kept but I don't want to give it up again as it is good hobby to have and is very social.

I do take tablets for my epilepsy

Does any other bellringer have epilepsy or people have epilepsy who rings church bells?

This would help me

Thanks
    Vincent

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 01:03 PM   #2
    vinnie01
    (male)

vinnie01 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Bellringing & Epilepsy

As for the 1st message to my epilepsy while ringing church bells became a hazard, my vice tower captain told my parent about what happend.

Aparrantly. I was ringing down my bell and I went in to a fit while I was in my fit I had hold my rope and another bell ringer or 2 had to pull it out of my hands with force.

After that I walked in to centre of the ringing circle to other bell rope which I fitted at b4 and tried to take it or something.

After this bellringer or other ppl or few had get me out of the ringing chamber I assume safety.

I didn't relised how much I frightend them

My Final decision for this as I me stopping ringing while getting over epilepsy may make me lose more skills from bell ringing ie Bell handling as it is already bad enough I can't plain hunt (ringing easy tunes on 1st bell) anymore which was embarressing and got a lot of shouting. I decided to quit ringing totally.
    Even though I have work that goes through practice nites anyway.

Vincent

Old 07-13-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
    DucatiPro

DucatiPro HB User
    Re: Bellringing & Epilepsy

Vinnie, I don't have much knowledge about bellringing or what is sounds like but I have had some issues with noise.

I started having seizures this last October 2003 and I could get a seizure if I listed to high pitched music. Kind of like techno music.

I have since become less affected by all noises but i did kind of expose myselft to some noices so that i could see what would happen.

I may have gotten use to the noises.

Old 07-13-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
    vinnie01
    (male)

vinnie01 HB User
    Re: Bellringing & Epilepsy

Hi, thanks for replying

I can listen them on CD or as wav files and I don't get a fit. Even half muffled bells ( This used to make me go cold due to ring these for a freinds funerual but that a long time ago.)

I can change pitch of the bells so they sound mornfal (lol) or really fast.

Im not sure if it is stress or something that brings it on.

I do like listening to diffent church bells they are very ineteresting.

Vincent

Closed Thread